Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

phosdex posted:

I don't know if you'd really call it a usb connector, but there's a square one you'll see for things like monitor hubs.

I think that’s B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fruits of the sea posted:

I mean, a steam deck seems ideal for exactly this use case.

Presumably they want to play using a keyboard?
IDK, maybe Factorio is one of those games where you want to use keyboard shortcuts? Dorf Fortress certainly is, IIRC.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ok Comboomer posted:

He went from chill to DEFCON 1 meltdown in one post, like a goddamn child. He had a temper tantrum. It was unnecessary, and you’re the only one defending it. “SpinCube” sounds a lot like “Qubee”, are both accounts alts of the same guy or something?

Settle down. Let’s keep this civil.

(Since you seem to care about the popular vote, I also think your first post was somewhat unhelpful in terms of content, and bordering on unfriendly in tone.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
For family photos, I’d venture a bet that the quality needs to be “sufficient” but scanning needs to be fast and easy. I’m not sure what the software support is like on the flatbed alternatives, but for sure automatic cropping and rotation would be a great plus if you have a mountain of paper photos.

A flatbed will give technically better image files, but maybe this is the one instance where I would say try the 200$ option and see how far it takes you. The best scan is, after all, the scan you could be arsed to make.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

That looks really really slick, just FYI. Nice job.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I am rocking a Canon MF4270 which is a monochrome laser copier/printer that I bought in 2008. This year, one of the rollers or something seems to have gone a bit wonky because it is starting to leave streaks. Original toner cartridges are dirt cheap on eBay. (They're either genuine or really good counterfeits, either way they print well.) It's lasted so long that modern Windows no longer has a driver for it, so I have to install the Vista-era driver every couple of years when Windows 10 did a stupid.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wrr posted:

I have an radio frequency question for those who might know:

I'm looking to buy a dummy load for an RF producing system which has a peak output power of 3.5 kW but a continous / average power output of about 80 W. When buying a dummy load, should I be trying to buy something that can handle the peak output power or the average? The system uses RF Pulses and the pulse width is about 3.5 uS if that helps.

Wait isn’t 80W an immense amount of power for an RF application? Maybe I’m out of date but I thought things like cell handsets operated in the milliwatt range. You’ve piqued my curiosity!

Edit: Military? Wow autocorrect!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 25, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any recommendations on a good thunderbolt dock that can handle dual monitors, and has around 80w power delivery? Budget is $100, but can probably go up to $150 if needed.

Thanks!

Do you need real Thunderbolt or is it enough with USB-C? (I ask because most people seem to not actually need Thunderbolt.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126295046176?epid=3037482869&hash=item1d67c57820:g:NI0AAOSwzOxlruP3

If the latter, the Dell WD19 are a dime a dozen and work really well on macs as well as PC.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! The dock is actually for my brother, who will be using it mostly to just browse the web and some gaming (think games like Civ6). I’m actually not sure if that requires thunderbolt speeds or not? He’ll be using it with two dual 1080p screens.

If you mean “two 1080p screens” then the used Dell should do it. Just check the connectors on the back; it has two DP but only one HDMI out.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Canned Sunshine posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but thought I'd start here.

I'd like to pick up a set of decent, smaller-sized desktop speakers that support multiple inputs easily, whether aux, usb, RCA, etc. I have both my gaming system and work system at my desk, so being able to easily switch would be nice. I don't need audiophile-grade speakers but ideally they'd still sound decent.

I noticed a few, like Logitech's Z407 (apparently not good?), Logitech G560 (??, and RGB...), and the SteelSeries Arena 7 (seems ok? lots of RGB though...), but wasn't sure if anyone had any recommendations on what they've seen/used, or if I should go to another thread?

I also saw occasional recommendations to just pick up an audio switch off Amazon and use a single input set, but I also found references/reviews where people had issues with the audios witches, so I wasn't sure.

I think physical audio switches (RCA-RCA) with a turn knob will never wear out or break.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Magnetic North posted:

Couldn't find a better place for this question.

I'm considering replacing my USB dock with a USB-C dock for a few reasons. It might be getting a bit flaky (hard to tell sometimes) and to make my life a little easier so I don't have to gently caress with cables as often. USB-C is the one with the power on the cable so you can just send the computer the start up signal from the dock without opening it right?

Beyond that, I don't really need anything fancy. Two HDMI cables for monitors is the only thing I think might be remotely unusual. Other than that, just Ethernet, at least 3 usb ports for keyboard mouse and webcam, headphone jack, etc.

Any recommendations? I saw some extremely cheap ones on Amazon but I'd like this to last a few years at least.

A used Dell WD19 would be a good choice. They’re available dirt cheap on eBay and similar, since it was such a popular product. Just make sure a PSU is included that’s beefy enough for your laptop. (It’s compatible with Dell chargers if you already have one of those.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah I think that’s the way. IIRC, the WD19 wants at least 130W but will charge your laptop faster if it has the beefier charger.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

kri kri posted:

And if you purchase one update the firmware on it.

Hm. I didn’t do that, yet. Any particularly egregious bugs in those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MarcusSA posted:

Just get an Apple TV. You don’t need to be in the ecosystem to use the best box on the market.

I never managed to stream/cast video from an Android phone to an AppleTV. Maybe I'm an idiot but there are like a dozen for-pay apps on the Google Play store, which promise to solve this problem so I assume it is not just me being an idiot. So, if you're not already in the Apple ecosystem, you might find this less convenient than just getting a new chromecast.

CloFan posted:

It sounds like you're talking about a pihole yeah. I had one set up for a while but ended up removing it due to streaming drm not working when it was enabled. Well, not DRM, but whatever kicks off the ads. It would work great for a few weeks, then the ad networks or streaming service would figure it out and refuse to play the video without viewing the ads. Then the pihole would update and work for a few more weeks until the cat/mouse game flipped again.

Ultimately not worth it to me, although it made general browsing much more bearable without needing extensions or apps.

No idea how it will interact with Roku ads, but might not fit the bill here. I just cast to my tvs built in Chromecast which works well, but the OS has ads loving everywhere . I would vote for Apple TV.

I set up a pihole with the goal of getting rid of youtube ads. It turns out, they serve the ads from the same machines as the video content, so pihole can't do poo poo about it. What's more, when the pihole blocks the DNS records for Youtube's ad targeting APIs, youtube responds by jacking up the number of ads you see. I suddenly had two-three non-skippable ads for every video. Supposedly this is because Youtube can't keep track of how many ads you've watched already, so they default to serving you the maximum.

I no longer run a pihole. I can't speak to how well it works for blocking Roku ads, but I assume they will have their ways to get around it. With IPv6, they could even hardcode a set of IP addresses in their software, and you will be unable to block the traffic on a DNS level. You'd need to use a firewall and blacklist those particular servers. Next, they'll update the IPs in the next firmware update and the cat-and-mouse game is on.

HalloKitty posted:

Htpc is the only way. No idea why people put so much trust in random black boxes

My HTPC is my favorite personal belonging but I would not trust anyone but me or my wife to be able to stream a Youtube video onto it.

It does also not run netflix, which we don't care about.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 19, 2024