Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Hopefully it's not one of HP's newer machines with the proprietary dogshit 8-pin motherboard PSU connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Am I correct in my assumption that the read error rate for this drive indicates current/imminent failure, or am I just way more pessimistic than CDI?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

cisco privilege posted:

Unless you have a good reason to assume the drive is dying, such as horrible performance or weird noises, then it's really more :tinfoil: than even pessimism. The ultraDMA CRC error might indicate a bad SATA cable but beyond that there's really nothing that stands out. All Seagate drives have 'high' seek error figures compared to other OEMs even when they're working fine which can look a bit strange if you're not used to it.

Right on, I dropped by the office after-hours yesterday to pick something up and my workstation greeted me with a hearty "Hard drive not found!" so it spooked me a bit. It's booted fine since then, but I think I'll swap the cable just in case. Thanks for the second opinion. :v:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Duke Chin posted:

I have zero actual idea what that is. I've never even heard of the term til reading that just now...? Time to go google, I guess. Mostly just because I'm now curious.

Ed: googling does me no help. Looks like a cloud storage thing of which I give zero rips about using anyway. :shrug: But hey, thx for the quick heads up on storage ideas!

https://www.backblaze.com/hard-drive.html