Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hoping for help with an issue I am coming across. I have the following:

Dell 7920 Precision Tower > fully updated BIOS
Windows 11 USB drive using 23h2 tool creator
Startech nvme pci card > https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/dual-m2-pcie-card-b#overview-applications
Kingston PCIe 4.0 NVME 1TB > https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/nv2-nvme-pcie-ssd

I do NOT have a Dell Flexbay with NVME support I dont think with this precision, so I needed to get a PCIE card.

Dell BIOS is set to AHCI (Dont think this matters as I am not using sata drives)
I can see the Kingston drive under PciE Devices
I have swapped NVME drives, moved the PCIe card to another slot. Moved which drive mount used.

Issue > I cannot get the drive to be found by the windows installer. Using command prompt from USB boot device and diskpart, I dont see the device either. My google-fu is failing - nothing I have tried works. Any ideas?

e: I was able to boot into legacy mode, diskpart wipe the drive and now I can see it using Secure Boot off > UEFI. I had to use the Intel Virtual RAID on CPU Application to get the nvme to show up. Installing now....

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A used Dell WD19 would be a good choice. They’re available dirt cheap on eBay and similar, since it was such a popular product. Just make sure a PSU is included that’s beefy enough for your laptop. (It’s compatible with Dell chargers if you already have one of those.)

And if you purchase one update the firmware on it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hm. I didn’t do that, yet. Any particularly egregious bugs in those?

Nah just been my experience it helps with wonky issues. I figure it can’t hurt, and it doesn’t take long.