Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess this is the right place?

Is there a VR thread around anywhere? I checked games and here and didn't see one. I haven't kept up with VR over the past few years and I just want to see where things currently stand.

There is a new X-Wing game coming out which is supposed to have VR support and that's 100% my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazing thank you!

Time to blow some cash!

:homebrew:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

Obviously, an extension cord is not an option.

Why? They aren't pulling that much power.

I'd probably just use a power strip and plug that into the UPS :shrug:

Also I'm kinda confused as to why they couldn't reach the UPS... aren't they already plugged into the wall?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

They're plugged into a power strip right now. My understanding is plugging in an extension cord/power strip/surge protector/anything with multiple outlets risks making the UPS malfunction or suffer damage. I've always been told never to chain together any kind of multi-outlet solutions. :shrug:

Am I even dumber than I thought?

IMO if you are just plugging those two things into the UPS I don't see the issue as they are both pretty low draw.

Like I wouldn't string my PC / Router / Whatever to one UPS outlet but like a modem and router shouldn't be an issue.

If you were really worried about it you could just get two short pigtails.

like these

https://www.amazon.com/ClearMax-PWR...s%2C203&sr=8-16

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I asked this in the VR thread but I kinda wanted to get any other opinions on it.

Right now I have an i7 8700k running a 1080Ti and 16gigs of ram. Is it really worth it to bump that up to 32gigs? Ram doesn't seem terribly expensive but if I'm really not going to get anything out of it I'm not sure I'd do it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

are you running low on memory running the things you want to run?

your task manager is a good resource to figure out if you need more ram. odds are at 16gb youre doing fine

even running a shitload of tabs and TSRs and who knows what, i still have ~5 GB free playing call of duty on my rig with 16

Yeah thanks.

I checked my task manager while gaming and it said I’m only using 63% so I guess I’m good!

Thanks for the replies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I need a way to deal with M.2 devices that isn't plugging them into the (only) M.2 slot on my laptop.

Does anyone have a lead on an enclosure or something or another that can do BOTH NVME and SATA m.2 drives and like.... connects to the computer over 10Gbit USB 3? Bonus points for not resembling or being something I would get off Alibaba.

Yes please! I feel your frustration.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like this might be a dumb question but these things drive (ha) me crazy.

Can anyone recommend me a good enclosure for this thing?

I was doing some research and it seems like not all of the USB c enclosures for these things work worth a drat. I pulled this from a laptop my dad gave me that was Completely dead so I figured I might as well put this into something and maybe use it as a speedy flash drive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rexxed posted:

So the relevant thing is that it is NOT an NVMe drive. If it was you'd be spending a lot more. Since it's a SATA drive with an M.2 connector you can use something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sabrent-NGFF-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-M2MC/dp/B0765D6NJV/

There's a ton of them available and they're not too expensive (as opposed to the NVMe ones):
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=m.2+sa...nb_sb_ss_i_4_12

I'd get the one I linked or any other one with decent ratings.

Thank you!

OK yeah looking at the pictures of the keys.... jesus that is why I couldn't figure it out.

I guess USB-C doesn't matter much vs USB 3.0?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rexxed posted:

It's a whole can of worms since USB-C is a connector and USB 3 is both a connector and a (bunch of) protocol, but you shouldn't have speed problems with a SATA SSD and USB 3.0. There are USB-C ones available if you prefer that connector.

Ah ok I understand what you mean.

I guess it shouldn't matter then really I'll just get the first one you linked.

Thanks again!

Now instead of this thing laying around on my desk it will be laying around on my desk in a case!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dumb RAM question.

Right now I have 16GB of ram and saw a decent deal on another 16gb but I'm not 100% sure it would play nicely with my current stuff.

This is the ram I have now,

And this is the stuff I wanna add,

Would there be any issues getting this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Are each of those sticks all a different brand/model?

The two I have now are the same brand but the new ones I'd be adding are different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah ok I can cut/paste and edit a little from the last time I answered this:

Ok thanks!

Hopefully it works lol.

It’s not that expensive so if I need to return it then it’s not a huge deal.

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I just went through all this but with win10. The Xbox 1 controllers that you can buy these days are all BT compatible (even the 'wired' ones) and I think they work with any BT device? You'd just need a BT Pci-e card I'd think.

a cheap BT usb dongle would work too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why do you need an actively powered enclosure?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So apparently Logitech's quality control has absolutely poo poo the bed in the last couple years or so, and I'm probably going to be returning the second set of speakers in a row. Where should I be looking for some modestly priced, reliable computer speakers?

What's your price range? You could always get an external amp and a decent set of bookshelf speakers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a reason to hook a monitor up via display port vs using the HDMI port?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

phosdex posted:

If you have a gsync monitor, then you have to use display port for it to work. Or I guess if you wanted to use the daisy chain feature of DP that I've only seen on a few monitors.

FCKGW posted:

DisplayPort is a connector designed for PC monitors first while HDMI is a little better for compatibility.
If you're' hooking up a standard 1080p monitor it doesn't really make a difference

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/learn/hdmi-vs-displayport

Ok thanks. I guess that gsync also supports freesync now.

I also just got a new 1440p 144hz monitor so I guess I should definitely use display port.

Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Probably not relevant, but just fyi, you need a 1000 series card or newer for freesync to work with nvidia

Ah ok that’s good to know. I’ve got a 1080ti so it shouldn’t be an issue.

I’m just “downgrading” from a 4K to a 1440p since I’ve noticed a few games not running as smooth as I’d like at 4K. The 1440p I got though is a lot better of a monitor so the resolution downgrade won’t be that bad I don’t think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Great. :[

How's it terrible? Unreliable signal?

I don't have any issues with it. It isn't as fast as Wifi but my connection is 100% stable with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

In addition, they induce way more latency than WiFi.

I have never seen this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

It's not an extreme difference, but it's absolutely noticeable. It's in the 10-20 ms range, which isn't insignificant.

:shrug:

I check my pings pretty often and they are always in the 18ms range which I don't think wifi does much better then that.

Edit: Its about a 4ms difference. I just checked. 14 ms on wifi vs 18ms on Powerline. Pinging google.com :shrug:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 9, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

"Terrible" technology that gets me 500mbits actual bandwidth to the router at 1-2ms additional latency and no problems with interference or stability

I'm not seeing the problem here :shrug:

Yeah same.

If dude is having issues with this wifi try the powerline stuff. Just order it from amazon and if it doesn't work ship it back :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

It's still terrible technology that won't work for many use cases and that causes tons of interference issues. You really don't need to be so defensive.

Come on now. We are just saying it works for us and you are saying it's terrible.

There is like no harm in him trying it to see if it works for his particular setup since his wifi is flaky.

I've had poo poo experience with wifi extenders (short of a very expensive mesh setup) so powerline isn't the worst solution.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am trying to decide on a CPU for a new build. I have an ultrawide 3840x1600 144Hz monitor, so the bottleneck in this system will probably be the GPU not the CPU. I've been looking through benchmarks to help choose a processor, but nearly all benchmarks are for gaming at 1080 60Hz.

Those benchmarks do me little good, since they're probably not reflecting the bottleneck I'll be facing with my machine.

Is anyone aware of a source of high quality benchmarks where I can compare CPU performance on monitors >1080 and refresh rates >60?

Or, maybe someone in this thread has a reasonable answer: How much gaming performance increase should I expect from getting a top-end CPU (e.g., Ryzen 3950X) in such a machine, vs. getting a high-mid tier CPU (e.g., Ryzen 3700)? Assume I will be getting a 3080Ti GPU.

Having done this same research the reason the benchmarks are all 1080p is because above that they are way less CPU bound to the point it kinda doesn’t matter.

I was going to upgrade my i7 to and i9 but anything above 1080p I saw like very small gains making it not worth the purchase.

If it’s just for gaming get a high mid tier and you’ll be fine.

If you are doing other stuff which would be more CPU intense I’d say maybe get the faster one but just for gaming I’d say no.

Definitely spend the money on a GPU though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so I was updating to Windows 10 2004 (because Windows said my current version was out of date via a prompt) and then this happened during one of the reboots,

I’m guessing that Windows update deleted the MBR from the drive during the update or it got corrupted somehow.

I’ve checked the bios and the it still sees the drive and the boot order is correct. If I manually select the drive via boot order it still gives the same error.

What are my options here? I really don’t want to nuke the drive and start over. I have a few other Windows 10 PCs but I don’t know if Windows 10 can make me a diagnostic USB boot drive.

How hosed am I?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drone posted:

Didn't see a headphone thread, so asking here. Anyone have a recommendation for a PC gaming headset that 1.) is relatively cheap (<100), 2.) decent mic quality and 3.) isn't USB, but has separate Headphone and Mic audio plugs?

Background is my husband's new PC has issues consistently recognizing his older USB headset (those HyperX ones that were all the rage a couple years ago) and tbh he doesn't like the USB one all that much anyway because the hugeass control pad thing on the cable gets in the way. So we wanna just go the direct route and have separate audio/mic jacks.

I’ll link the head phone thread at the end of this but my advice is to get a set of status audio cb-1 and a mod mic. That should just be about the right price range.

A lot of the gaming headsets are crap so you are better off “making your own” as it is.

https://www.status.co/products/cb1

Antlion Audio ModMic Uni Attachable Noise-Cancelling Microphone with Mute Switch Compatible with Mac, Windows PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YN25KWN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_la4oFb2DY4GQ0

Ok maybe a bit over the price but 100% better than any gaming headset.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

Just my 2c

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m kinda chuckling to my self how it’s 2020 and wireless mice still have issues.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Guitarchitect posted:

I've got a i7-5820K system with 16GB of RAM and a 256gb hard drive. I'm experiencing these hugely laggy periods where it takes a few seconds to switch Chrome/Edge tabs, or websites take a while to load.

I opened task manager, and noticed that one of my hard drives (a WD Red 6tb drive) will be hitting ~100% usage at these slowdown times. Here's the thing though - nothing touches that drive. When I first bought it, the intent was to move my media onto it and then use it for my plex server, but I just haven't gotten around to changing plex yet - all the media is there but nothing else, and nothing is accessing it. So my plex library is still on my old drive (WD Cavier Green), and even while streaming a movie that drive barely registers any usage. Is there a common reason this might happen? CrystalDiskInfo reports it as in good health. It's odd but when I open and close Edge tabs, I can reliably see it spike to 100% - the system bogs down but CPU usage doesn't spike higher than 15%.

For some context, I've essentially filled the main hard drive (had a couple low space warnings today... 256gb nvme), and my 16gb RAM is constantly around 80% usage. So I'm ordering a 512gb HD and hoping I can find some RAM that will work with my motherboard - but these random disk spinups really seem to be problematic.

Side question - what's the easiest way to port a full windows install from one drive to another? Much as I'd love to rebuild from a fresh install this is my main working machine and I just can't have the downtime these days.

Use Macrium Refect it’s quick easy and free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

It is a good question. I honestly assumed that the motherboard specs and power supply might no longer be sufficient to keep the GTX 3080 happy, but I could be off. It's an HP OMEN 870 model that's not for sale anymore, but I managed to dig up the specs:

No clue if that'd work? There's also no information about the exact motherboard model

You MB is fine but you would need to upgrade the Power supply. They recommend a 750w one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Amp-S...ps%2C160&sr=8-3

any better suggestions to beef up a decent set of PC headphones?

You can get a really good USB DAC that works better. I’d ask the headphones thread though. They are really knowledgeable.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Things might change if you install a 3080 FE but with your current GPU I believe the answer is yes.

I can’t find it right now but there is a GN video about this and they suggest not using top fans.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

how does eMMC stack up against an HDD or an SSD in terms of speed as a storage medium?

Slower vs SSD faster vs HDD.

quote:

eMMC Isn’t Bad, But It’s Not The Fastest
There’s nothing wrong with eMMC—in theory. Your digital camera probably doesn’t need a full SSD with its increased size, complexity, and price. However, when you’re buying a laptop or tablet, the limitations of eMMC become more apparent. As with SD cards, not all eMMC storage is created equal—some eMMC storage is slower than others. However, all eMMC storage will be slower than a proper SSD.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I assume no one has better strategies for snagging a 3080 on the 17th other than "be online all day and f5 a lot"??

Follow the GPU thread.

I’ve already got two pre orders in. (I’ll cancel one after the reviews come out)

One on amazon and one at B&H.

There was a third one that I missed or I’d have done that one just to be safe.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

I assume you've all pre-ordered psus too?

The consensus seems to be that a 650W name brand should be fine.

Obviously that could change with reviews but it seems to be the case right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

the rtx 30s have a new power connector tho

Yeah?

AFAIK that is only the founders edition that has one. The other versions are sticking with the older stuff for now.

The FE also comes with an adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJDdRgs7Lw&t=320s

He also shows that some PS units have a cable that fits just fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think this is probably a dumb question but I need to ask.

I bought a Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive and I think I can just install it and then clone my current SSD onto it and then go into the BIOS and change the boot order to the NVMe drive. Then wipe the current SSD.

Would that be correct? I'm trying to avoid buying an external enclosure if I don't need it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rexxed posted:

That's how it's typically done. You can expand the extra drive space in macrium reflect free or later in windows after you've imaged the disk over. Just don't wipe the first disk until you're sure the new one boots properly.

Ok awesome thanks!

They are both 1TB so it should be painless.

I’m not so sure I’m gonna notice a huge speed increase but the drive was cheap enough that I figured why not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly who knows?

There are apple IIs still kicking around.

I’m not going to say you are living on borrowed time but if you are happy with the computer it wouldn’t be the worst idea to save up a little every month so if it does croak you can get a new one.

Computers are lasting a lot longer these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have a quick ram question. I just installed another 16gb of ram into my PC and I just want to make sure it is going to be ok over the long term. My older Ram is 1200mhz so obv the system is going to run all 4 stick at that. I just want to make sure what I'm seeing in CPUZ won't be an issue.