Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

but AFAIK the DS3 only used the cable for charging the battery and the only way to use it on a computer would be Bluetooth.
No, the DS3 works perfectly fine with just the cable. However, if you're not rocking either Lunix or OS X, you'll still need a driver for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Wow, I've never done that with any new machine I've ever built. Pretty much, by the time I've got the makings of a new machine, I've already retired the older machine to storage and want to start using my new machine as quickly as possible. More power to you, I guess.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Of course, some monitors with soft switches may not remember their power on state when their power is interrupted. You'd do good to at least verify that your monitor comes back on when unplugged. Well, just in case, at least. I know the one monitor I had with a broken power switch that I had to shove a ball of aluminum foil into and fiddle with a screwdriver every time I wanted to toggle the contacts of the power switch, at least it remembered its power on state between being unplugged, even over long term, as in days/weeks.

FAKE EDIT: Reread your post, saw that you already bought the switch device. As posted above, it shouldn't harm your monitor, at least as long as you don't toggle the power in rapid succession or something like that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Also try removing attached USB peripherals, such as powered hubs. Someone earlier had a machine that wouldn't power on because of one of those. The cheaper ones tend to send power back upstream.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Technically, a competent networked drive interface should allow accessing operating systems to utilize file locks so they don't fight each other for access to the drive. Reading a file would lock it from being written to by another user, writing to it would lock it from being accessed at all by other users. Samba/SMBFS is supposed to handle this in a sane manner, but then you'll likely be dealing with three different implementations: likely Samba on the Linux powered drive, Windows with its own official implementation, and OS X with its stank rear end implementation that likes to randomly break the whole OS after a while and force hard reboots or kernel panics. It's little wonder why networked shares that need to be accessed frequently, namely Time Capsule, still require AFP support.

Assuming that your device also somehow supports AFP, then it's a matter of contention between the servers for both SMB and AFP, and down to whether they lock the files locally on the device, so the two protocols don't fight each other in bad ways.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It may be an issue with the type of RAM you ended up buying. For instance, I didn't know that I should have bought a lower voltage RAM for my Ivy Bridge system, which I built in 2012. The XMP profile wants to run the memory at 1.65V, but Sandy/Ivy really hate when memory goes above 1.5V. Thus, I'm running it at the highest non-XMP setting, which powers it to 1.5V at 1333MHz.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Is it a sign of cheap hardware that I have this WD external 3 TB drive that has no way of checking SMART values whatsoever? It doesn't even support bad sector reallocation. I had to fill the drive up with small files, then stumble upon files containing bad sectors purely by luck, then move those files into a "!!!! Don't Delete This!" folder in the root directory.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Well, I got it wrong. I always forget it's just a 1TB drive, a WD My Book Essential, and the firmware it came with, v1003, did not support SMART reading. Upgrading the firmware to v1025 added support for that, and it's mostly clear according to DriveDx, except for a few issues:

Attempts to run the self-diagnosis fail at 10% with "Read Error":

I have now backed up the 68GB worth of data that was still on the drive, and I am now running a full erase with zeroes, to see what the results on the diagnostic information are, or if it will even manage to pass a full wipe. Probably best to just chuck the thing, though, since it had these bad sectors practically from purchase over three years ago.

EDIT: The drive contents may be encrypted with a special bridge chip anyway.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 18, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Charter supplied me an Arris TM1602A, and the fee is integrated into the service fee, so even if I were to get a supported modem of my own, my rates wouldn't go down. TM1602 is a nice modem anyway, supports 16x4.

Too bad Charter isn't using upstream bonding yet, not that anyone is being given greater than 4-5Mbps anyway.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I keep thinking this laser printer somehow has an integrated power cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Seeing your mention of Samsung SSD, after reading this, I know it's no longer a good idea to buy SSDs mentioned here. Perhaps this needs mentioning in the SSD topic, assuming I know there is one?

Forcibly enabling TRIM on an 850 Pro 256GB from OS X resulted in random kernel panics and eventually total filesystem corruption, and I originally didn't know to blame anything other than a defective part, which I exchanged and experienced the same issue again. No such issue under Windows or Linux, which apparently have the sense to not enable TRIM there.

Edit: Seems this only blacklists the DSM TRIM command and not TRIM entirely. So I guess OS X just tries to use that command on everything if the drive says it's an "APPLE SSD", or every drive regardless if trim has been patched in.

Further edit: Yeah, looks like Windows doesn't even do this FPDMA Send with DSM Trim feature, while OS X seems to try to use it, and Linux tries to use it unless those blacklist flags are specified for particular models.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 16, 2015