Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I tried updating my BIOS and it seemed to go fine, but for some unknowable reason it decided to throw a password on my BIOS? The hell? It also screwed up my boot order I think as I get BOOTMGR missing error which I can't get into BIOS and fix so it's locked...

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? It was on an ASUS P8Z68V LX to version 4701 for the record. Going to try and see if I can downgrade it with a USB today after work before resetting the CMOS, but if anyone has some common passwords to try for this I'd prefer to just use it as-is. Or any other explanation.

I've tried some stupid obvious passwords like 'asus', 'admin', 'password' and even my usual pc passwords on the off chance I gave it a password at some point or something.

This all stemmed because I was trying to install virtualbox but it fails because VT-x is disabled and when I try to enable it in BIOS it was greyed out for some reason. Did the research and based on forum posts and a couple different utilities, my hardware should be supporting it, so the only thing I could figure was the firmware was out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Alereon posted:

Clear the CMOS via the jumper on the board.

Doh, forgot that my board had this and it worked like a charm, thanks!

All my computer troubles lately stemmed from a hard drive dying. Got everything replaced and a new bigger hard drive now; everything is golden.

My drive that was dying, magically decided it wanted to cooperate and allowed windows to run chkdsk and fix itself up enough to let me copy all the files off in Windows. Swapped drive letters and Windows is none the wiser. I ended up formatting the bad hard drive and ran chkdsk on it again and it seems to be doing OK. What do y'all do with hard drives that work but you're not comfortable putting data on it alone?

Thinking I want to turn it into a tertiary backup drive. It'll be more convenient to access than my external hard drive, but I won't really care if it goes kaput.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So my power supply died and I'm pretty sure my motherboard is dead as well... Great end to the decade; if my CPU is the thing that died (motherboard looks fine but there are no lights at all and PSU fan doesn't run and no humming), shouldn't the motherboard still show some signs of life? LEDs in, PSU fan humming etc.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
More concerned that whatever shorted possibly shorted the CPU but I've tested the GPU and RAM and they're both fine so likely fine I guess

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im convincing my buddy to build a computer instead of buying a gaming laptop, i was thinking / recommending waiting to labor day to maybe get some deals, is there any other reason to wait on building (e.g. new releases im not aware of, havent been paying attention)?

was probably just gonna recommend a variant of https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/kNwrxr/enthusiast-intel-gamingstreaming-build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MarcusSA posted:

Does he live near a micro center because they have the legit builds. I’d also recommend posting in the PC building thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

right i forgot that thread existed. i think he does live near one, are you talking a pre-built or just getting the parts / deals from there?