Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Knifegrab posted:

So what should I do if my motherboard only has two 2.0 usb ports, where my keyboard has two usb plugs and my mouse has one, and my hotas and rudder set up each have one as well (meaning I have 5 input plugs, but only two 2.0 usb ports)?

Your options are either use a USB hub or USB 2.0 expansion card. Or a new system board with more 2.0 ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
This is what he's referring to.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

csidle posted:

I have a Lenovo Edge S430, but it's a bit slow compared to the Macbooks around me. I'm thinking of upgrading it by replacing the SATA hard drive with an SSD. The computer came with a 16 gig SSD drive used for cache and some other stuff, but I'm wondering if it'd be feasible and/or even possible to either put in a larger SSD in place of the 16 gig one, or just replace the SATA drive. I'm not sure if it'd fit. Anyone know?

Can't speak to that specific model but the 16 GB SSD for caching purposes is likely a mSATA SSD, which are both widely available and at about the same $/GB ratio as normal SSDs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chuu posted:

Thinking about buying an Intel Phi to play around with while the $199 developer promo is still around. The problem is I have no idea how to cool them in a standard PC case. They look like this:

They are basically a giant shroud around a setup that looks an awfully like a video card. Just like a video card, they have to be actively cooled, but they don't integrate a blower and rely on server integrators to handle cooling. It's a 225W TDP for reference.

How would I go about cooling this in a standard PC case?

I don't even know how OEMs would go about cooling that, the typical off the shelf server uses a single large fan pulling air through a plastic baffle that forces airflow through the CPU heatsink and over other critical components. Maybe remove the shroud and attach/point a fan to/at its heatsink?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Was going to suggest your power supply might have multiple 12v rails but checking its specifications reveals it's a single rail power supply. I'd still check the +12v pin on the ATX connector, on a 24 pin connector its the third from the right on the bottom row, assuming you're looking at the connector unplugged with the securing clip on top.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chikimiki posted:

Hey folks! So the fan on my trusty old Thinkpad X220 died on me yesterday, and now I get "Fan Error" on boot, making my laptop an expensive paperweight. I'm thus looking for a replacement fan, and I'm searching for a good online shop with cheap shipping to Europe. Googling didn't bring up anything worthwhile, and I'm not exactly keen on buying some used part from ebay...
Thanks for any info!

Might also be worth tearing it apart down to the fan and see if something is obstructing the fan from spinning, you could just have a massive clod of dust that has finally jammed itself between the fan blades and the fan housing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Professor Moriarty posted:

I have an Antec P180 tower, and just bought a new 3.5" HDD. However I seem to have misplaced the HDD mounting screws the case specifically uses (they're shouldered screws, half-threaded, with large flat heads), and can't seem to find an exact alternative via Antec's site nor anywhere else. What's my best option here to get my new HDD installed securely?

I'm assuming you have other screws currently mounting another drive? Take one of them out and go to a hardware store and find a long 6/32" screw (doesn't have to be precisely the same length, slightly longer would be better than slightly shorter) and some matching washers. It will probably cost a dollar or two at most and you'll have it same day.

Also, if you want the original parts you can find these screws in the Sonata III screw bag for ~$11 from Antec.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shaocaholica posted:

So now this leads to my question, is there a set top box that runs an embedded OS (not a mouse and keyboad OS) that has fast hardware video decode like the WDTV AND can also run a torrents via a web interface AND has its own internal user upgradeable storage? I basically want to replace my setup with a single black box thats not custom PC job.

I just called the electronics store, they said they're fresh out of unicorns.

Seriously, what you're looking for is a pretty tall order and I'd be shocked if there is an off the shelf solution that ticks all of the boxes on your wishlist. The closest solution I could think of is put your storage in a separate NAS enclosure and then run something like OpenELEC (although there are a bunch of hoops to jump through to get streaming services like Netflix to work on an open source OS) on an Intel NUC or similar micro form factor PC.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 18, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Probably a case of HWmonitor doesn't/can't read the sensor data from the "package" sensor, or else your CPU or system board does not report it.

Should be pretty simple to figure out; if your CPU is actually running at 70 degrees the heatsink should be uncomfortably warm to the touch.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd guess that after 48 hours you're fine. If you want to be extra sure set your oven to the lowest possible setting (just slowly turn the dial until the thermostat clicks, should be below the lowest temperature printed on it) and "bake" it for a few hours.

Droo posted:

There are no issues outside of the Liebert's themselves in turning them off - cooling capacity is fine with one unit, sensors are in place, computers are non-critical and would shut off automatically if the other unit fails and they get too hot, etc. I am only worried about the Liebert itself.

This is likely why there are two of them - redundancy. If you're really gung-ho about running a single cooler I'd set one up to turn on 5-10 degrees higher than the other rather than switching it off entirely, so in the event the primary fails you don't experience an outage due to CPU throttling or shutdown.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Leaning towards system board on that one. If the power supply switches on when manually jumped and the system is stable the probability of the power supply being bad is quite low.

Have you tried manually shorting the power switch pins on the system board just to rule out the switch in your case?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly it depends on what you're doing with it. I have a celeron NUC running Windows 8.1 as a HTPC and the only time you really notice the CPU's shortcomings is when you jog ahead substantially in a network streamed HD video. If you're just using it for light desktop use you probably wouldn't notice the i3.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Flyinglemur posted:

I am running Windows 7 64 bit if that makes a difference...I looked into some RAID setups and it seems that there might be a storage limit for RAID and Win7?

Information on this seems to be sketchy but from what I can find via a casual google search it sounds like the actual limitation with Win7 is you can't have a boot volume >2 TB, but a volume for storage can be any size up to 256 PB.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sir Unimaginative posted:

2) :siren: RAID IS NOT BACKUP. :siren: NAS + a portable hard drive is probably backup. (You won't be so much running from NAS as caching things from NAS to run them locally.)

Please explain what happens in a RAID 1 array when one disk fails and the other does not. Does the mirrored data on the surviving drive cease to exist?

Sounds like he wants to protect some non-vital data from a single point of failure - how would a simple RAID array not accomplish this?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That is the only circumstance where RAID mirroring preserves data.

Also the circumstance he just experienced...

ZenMaster posted:

TL;DR Wifi dropping due to high connection volume, need to understand how to create a guest connection with bandwidth restrictions to avoid affecting connections of vital functionality.

The problem is more likely an issue with too many connections on a single residential access point than a bandwidth issue. You should probably look into a managed multi-AP system, like Ubiquity UniFi, which will load-balance clients between however many APs you have and present a single SSID between all of them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I would hardly call providing free internet for churchgoers on sunday as a "business setting."

And unless he goes to a megachurch I doubt they're going to want to shell out several hundred dollars per AP, especially if their current wireless solution is a sub-$100 residential gateway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ZenMaster posted:

Can I enable QoS on the default firmware and just priorities the tablet MAC address?

The problem is the access point has a finite number of connections it can manage regardless of utilization (most residential or SOHO APs can only manage a dozen or so), so even if you give critical clients priority access you will probably still have connections being dropped during peak usage.

If installing infrastructure to handle the load is out of the question your only recourse is cut off access to everyone who doesn't need it or deal with dropped connections.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there any benefit to a normal sized Sd card instead of a micro sd assuming they have the exact same specs?

Unless you're buying a high-end microSD a regular SD will generally have faster read/write speeds. If speed isn't a factor for your application I'd buy whichever is cheaper assuming all other specs are roughly equal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm moving to a place where I'm going to have to use Time Warner cable for my internet and want to buy the cable modem/wireless router myself.

Just a word of warning - I had my own modem with TWC and after they pushed down a firmware update it stopped working, and refused to push the update again because "we don't support CPE."

Also Motorola's warranty on their cable modems isn't worth the paper it's printed on, when I tried to have mine replaced under warranty I ended up in a loop of "we need you to have you reset the modem, then connect to it and check the channel status." After resetting the modem and telling them none of the channels were connecting seven times and being asked to do it again I just gave up.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah, TWC was leasing me a DOCSIS 2.0 modem up until last spring and it was able to keep up with their turbo tier.

I'm sure DOCSIS 3.0 will be plenty fast on US broadband providers for years to come.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Corsair has a limited lifetime warranty on RAM and their RMA process is one of the better ones in the industry. I'd replace it for no other reason than it will literally take 10 minutes of your time to fill out the RMA form.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Intel NUC, the one linked above has 2x full size HDMI ports. Add your choice of mSATA SSD, RAM, and you'll need a three prong notebook power supply cable too. If you need WiFi it also has a micro PCI express slot and is pre-wired with an internal antenna.

e: not sure what your budget is like but if the i3 model is too expensive there's also a Celeron-powered unit that's about $100 less that should be able to handle video playback just fine - I'm using one as a HTPC and it doesn't have any issues playing 1080 HD content. It's a touch slow when you start an application but once its running you don't notice it.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 22, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Can't speak to the Zotac unit but I have this one as a HTPC and can attest that it can run Windows 7 (well, I'm running 8 on mine) and do 1080, also wakes up & boots quickly but can be a touch laggy when you start an application.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I thought platter drives were only really vulnerable when in a powered-on state?

As in, when not spinning the heads park off the platter and you'd have to subject the drive to a very high shock to actually damage anything.

I mean, it's not like they exactly protect the drive well in retail boxes - usually it's just suspended with plastic endcaps.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you just need it for storage there are several NAS (network attached storage) units that will take a hard drive/drives and present it/them to the network with a minimal power and space footprint. Options run from a single drive to multiple drives with RAID and automatic backup utilities available for your systems and everywhere in between.

If you want it to perform other functions (DHCP, torrent slave, etc) you'd be better off with a full PC.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd reseat everything while you're at it and if you have multiple memory modules see if you can get the system to post by pulling all but one and then add them back until you're back to a no-post condition or the system is back to normal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W semi modular power supply and almost all of the cables are missing

Go here, check the "accessories" box at the top of the left-hand column.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Seconding the "Logitech sent a mouse and didn't give any fucks about the one it replaced." This was a G series (replaced a G500 with a G502,) the original was $60 and the replacement was only slightly less than that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

My SansDigital TowerRAID is broken. It won't connect to a PC any longer. I tried both though USB and SATA on two different PCs.

What are my options here? Buy a new TowerRAID and plug the hard drives into it? Can I plug the drives into my desktop and form a new RAID in there to get to the data? Or can I just get the data out from one drive at a time?

What kind of array were you running? If it was mirroring (each drive is an exact copy of the other) you can just plug one into your computer to extract the data. If you have any form of striping things start to get muddy, you may need to replace the controller with the same model to extract your data.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

It was in RAID 5.

You could try and see if your OS can read the array, just be really careful what you click after plugging the drives in.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

Can Windows 8.1 do that?

Doubtful, but...

FogHelmut posted:

I got an email back from Sans Digital support. They recommend I make sure I plugged in my cables, try new cables, update my firmware (how?), or buy a new box. A new unit would be $90-$150 depending if I get a refurb or a real new one.

...if your options are buy a new NAS or lose the data it's worth a shot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Away all Goats posted:

None of the USB3 ports work (but those didn't work when I first got the drive either)

I'm going to guess the front ports aren't connected, the USB 3.0 controller is disabled in BIOS or you don't have drivers installed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Umph posted:

No POST after power loss issue

Have you tried resetting BIOS? Easiest way is unplug or switch off the power supply and remove the BIOS battery for a few minutes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Deep Winter posted:

Physically, how does VOIP work? Is it cat 5e to the switch/router? The voip servers are not on site

Pretty much any VOIP phone works as you described - network cable direct from the phone to your network backbone.

Is the rest of the site's internet connectivity down? If not the phones may be on their own switch, or (assuming whoever set it up isn't an idiot) at the very least their own VLAN. You're probably going to have to get someone with at least a cursory knowledge of computer hardware onsite to troubleshoot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crotch Fruit posted:

Since the card is just 2 months shy of being 3 years old, should I attempt to reapply new thermal paste? Would that void the last of the MSI warranty?

Technically yes, but I doubt they'd give you any trouble over it unless you were completely ham-fisted in reapplying the paste. I'd definitely give it a shot before trying to have it replaced under warranty.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Evilreaver posted:

My computer started crashing, and having the video driver crash/restart pretty constantly: first from hardware-intense games, now even in firefox. If I leave the computer off for some time, it'll work for ~an hour and then resume dying.

The screen fills with artifacts, patterns, colors, etc. Back in my day, this was a sure-fire tell that the graphics card is dead. Is that still true?

E: Card from circa 2008

What's the age of the rest of the components? This could be a power supply issue as well, but unless it is also 7+ years old I'd start with the video card.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BANME.sh posted:

I can't seem to find a good answer to this anywhere on the internet. Are there such thing as KM switches where you just need to swap keyboard and mouse between two computers, and don't care about video? I have a desktop PC and a Macbook, and I hate having to move my Macbook out of the way to use my PC's keyboard. I would prefer to elevate my Macbook on a stand, and use the same keyboard & mouse for both. Can you use any old KVM switch and just not utilize the video portion?

Edit: this post might as well be pointless because I guess there's some good software to do this for me already.

Yeah Synergy is perfect

I realize you fixed this already, but for anyone else looking for a similar solution I used to work in an office with two computers on two separate secure networks, negating software input sharing. I ended up just using a Logitech keyboard and mouse tied to the same nano receiver run through a USB A/B switch, other than momentary lag immediately after switching between devices (similar to lag you'd encounter after plugging in a USB peripheral that was previously installed) it worked great, and the A/B switch cost less than $15 on amazon.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
To pound another nail in the 6141's coffin - I replaced a failed 6121 with one and TWC has a head end problem in my market that they refuse to address, and it causes channels to randomly drop. The 6141 doesn't handle dropped channels gracefully, instead of resetting the dropped channel it just resets the whole modem. This resulted in my connection frequently going down and back up again, often several times per hour.

When I replaced it with a Zoom 5341J all of my problems disappeared.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lord Windy posted:

I was looking at SIP as a phone replacement for shits and giggles and I have a question about IP PBX. If you're using SIP, do you need a dedicated hardware IP PBX or is there software that you can use on a server instead?

You might be able to get FreePBX/Asterisk to run on a VM but it would be substantially easier to set up as a standalone server, at least assuming things haven't changed since the last time I deployed it three years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gothmog1065 posted:

There was a firmware version that seemed to fix most of the issues, but of what we saw, the only way to get it was to buy another modem.

This is what really pissed me off through the whole ordeal - if they're not willing to update the firmware and its a known issue then take the drat thing off the approved devices list.