Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
looks yummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

wash bucket posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately that one is slightly too small. The Fractal Torrent is a drat beast of a case.

I guess I need to find a rando Amazon stand that's big enough and just roll the dice.

My partner and I use these TV stands: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R2EYH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

e: it might be just hair too short for your case

e2: oh, it has a swivel now. that's nice, didn't have that when we bought them. lol

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 5, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Glad you posted your fixes so that others can learn from your experience!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Edifier is a worthwhile brand to look at for budget speakers that sound decent.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
btw, if you want a cheap way to make your speakers sound better, angle them so that their sound intersects at a point just behind your head and level with your ears. If you don't have an adjustable shelf or something, some acoustic foam inserts are cheap and work very well: https://www.thefoamfactory.com/acousticfoam/accessories.html

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
89 is the max temp for that chip, iirc. If it isn’t throttling, you’re fine but losing a small amount of potential performance from the auto-oc the chip does. It boosts itself until it reaches a clock speed, thermal, or power limit.

If it is throttling, that’s a big problem and something is off with your cooling.

E: undervolting is a can of worms, imo. It will help but it will also take many, many hours to verify it’s stable and you will always be left wondering if the undervolt caused a random crash or some other weird behavior

Kibner fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

VelociBacon posted:

Whenever I do a new build I always put the PC where it's going to live and then manually go in and identify where the audible fan level is (in PWM%) and where it feels a bit obtrusive. This would be for sets of fans which share the same target parameters, for example case fans that are using an ambient case air sensor as a target the curve is set up with. The other fan group for me currently is just my radiator fans because I'm fully water cooled. I basically set up curves so that it's quick to go to the level that's essentially subaudible to me and then I do a normal curve basically up to 100%, with a steeper angle after the "this is pretty loud" point. This works well for me but if you're a headphone gamer (50/50 for myself) I could see taking that into consideration.

I am pretty similar. Except I cap the fan speed at a volume that is just barely audible when there is a quiet scene in a video game or youtube video. This is usually between 50 and 70%. I also have found that I don't get much better cooling going from 60% to 100% across multiple different setups. Maybe 2-5C. Enough to be statistically significant but not enough to be worth the extra volume, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Incessant Excess posted:

I swapped my CPU and installed the new OS with restore from backup, is there a free CPU benchmark tool I can use to check that my CPU is performing to a normal standard?

you can download cinebench from the windows store, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

divx posted:

Are prime95 and memtest86 still the go to for testing cpu thermals and memory stability?

For DDR4 memory stability check out this link: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#memory-testing-software

For DDR5, you can use the above but you will also want to use something to benchmark your memory to see if you are getting the speeds you should be. There is on-die error correction on DDR5 but it won't report errors to the OS. Instead, you just get degraded performance. That same guide has some recommendations for benchmarking: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#benchmarks

tldr:

- ddr4: TM5 with Extreme by anta777 configuration

- ddr5: AIDA64 cache and memory benchmark (found under tools) and compare to the bandwidth you should be getting for your memory speeds (i don't have a link handy for that)