Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Couldn't find a better place for this question.

I'm considering replacing my USB dock with a USB-C dock for a few reasons. It might be getting a bit flaky (hard to tell sometimes) and to make my life a little easier so I don't have to gently caress with cables as often. USB-C is the one with the power on the cable so you can just send the computer the start up signal from the dock without opening it right?

Beyond that, I don't really need anything fancy. Two HDMI cables for monitors is the only thing I think might be remotely unusual. Other than that, just Ethernet, at least 3 usb ports for keyboard mouse and webcam, headphone jack, etc.

Any recommendations? I saw some extremely cheap ones on Amazon but I'd like this to last a few years at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A used Dell WD19 would be a good choice. They’re available dirt cheap on eBay and similar, since it was such a popular product. Just make sure a PSU is included that’s beefy enough for your laptop. (It’s compatible with Dell chargers if you already have one of those.)

The one I have is a Dell 3100 (USB 3.0) and both my current laptops are Dells, so that's probably a decent sign. How do I tell if it's got enough juice? Just look at the power brick and compare Wattages or is it more complicated than that?