Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I was cleaning my rather dusty computer, wiping down fans and such. In a misguided attempt to get at the CPU fan better (with a microfiber cloth, no vacuum cleaner involved) I ended up loosening the heat sink. Once I realized this is secured it back in place. I don't conclusively know if the thermal paste was dislodged or shifted or something, but after finishing my cleaning and reconnecting everything my computer gave me a temperature warning in the bios startup. At this point I had a choice to 'press any key to continue' or just switch my computer off. I opened the case, all the fans seemed to be giving good airflow, so I let it continue to boot. It shut itself off about twenty seconds after windows was fully running, before I got a chance to check temperature sensors.
My technical proficiency with hardware is growing but I've never applied thermal paste or installed a CPU, and this computer's CPU/heatsink have been undisturbed since they were built (in 2009).
Is it probable that the heat-sink is no longer well seated on the CPU? (I am supposing yes)
I assume SH/SC has an apropriate thread but browsing unfamiliar sub forums on my phone is not super easy.
What do I need to know to pick out and apply the appropriate thermal paste? I assume I need to clean off the old stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Thanks Rexxed, you're the best.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I'm looking for recommendations for some benchmarking/stress-testing software to test my GPU and CPU, GPU specifically. I figure this is an appropriate place to ask?
Trying to pin down some odd issues I'm having.
HOTS Thread for the curious.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

A good poster posted:

I've got a 256 GB SSD on its way here, and a 320 GB HDD with less than 256 gigs of stuff on it whose contents I want to copy over to the new SSD. If I make a backup of the HDD with a Clonezilla disc, will I be able to "recover" that backup to the new SSD?

Can clonezilla restore backups onto a different drive than the one it was made from? If so, should work. No experience with Clonezilla myself.
If you're on a desktop couldn't you just connect the second drive and either move the files yourself or use a data-migration tool? If you're using a laptop and only have one drive port, I see your problem...

As for my own question, let me preface it with saying I'm an idiot and probably don't understand how PCIe lanes and slots work. If I have a CPU with a maximum of 16 PCIe lanes like the i7-6700 (I don't, but it's a good example) and I plug in an SSD through a PCIe port, does that impact the theoretical bandwidth between the GPU and CPU? It's my understanding that if you have a device running in x16 mode and you connect another device (say in x4 mode like a PCI SSDs) you'll either need more than 16 PCIe lanes or accept the first device dropping down to x8 mode.
Am I completely wrong in this?
Also, if this is the case, should I care?

E: Rexxed, of course you'd beat my reply.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

I found this, maybe it'll help

After seeing that diagram (and looking up several like it) things make a bit more sense. My understanding of these interfaces was last used when building my current PC, which doesn't have any CPU PCIe lanes at all. (i7-920 and X58 chipset, 2009 baby)

Thanks!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Are Western Digital Reds still the go-to for local HDD Storage? Or are Blacks and Blues fine too?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Follow up to this, the OS loads fine and I've been using it for the last week or so, but it's got an annoying "Activate Windows" overlay constantly on the screen. Activation page says I don't have a valid key. When I hit troubleshoot -> "I changed hardware on this device recently" (which is what MS site says to do after motherboard changes), it opens a new window that displays:

Mocking PostTicketToReturnUrl, skipping authentication
Redirecting to:
https://sdx.microsoft.com/auth/complete-signin?ru=https://sdx.microsoft.com/wlt/flow
in 5 seconds

And then pops up saying unable to connect to servers to activate, reinstall windows or re-add your account or wait a few days for the server blah blah blah. I removed my desktop from the list and it's back on my account on the microsoft page, so it's recognizing that I'm signed in with a valid account on the machine.

I really don't want to reinstall OS, especially given everything is working; I just want the overlay gone.I realize this is kinda getting away from "hardware issues" since the physical swap worked fine, where should I take this?

Put in your Win7 product key. I just had a very similar experience, upgraded CPU and Mobo, everything went fine except my Windows 10 installation was not longer 'activated'. Was getting the same problem, going through the suggested method with 'I changed hardware on this device recently' wasn't working. It couldn't connect to microsoft's servers for two days. Just had a support session with a service rep and all they did was put in my windows seven key. Activated just fine.

Unrelated, anyone have suggestions for a tool to clone DVDs to a USB stick? New pc lacks a DVD drive and guess what comes with all their relevant utilities and drivers on a DVD!

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Enourmo posted:

"Go dig out my Win7 disks from my mom's place" it is, then. Goody.

Better than buying a new license! It sucks since adding your Microsoft account is supposed to make this nearly automatic, but it was easily resolvable in my case. Hopefully you'll have similar success.

E: You only need the product key, couldn't she send you that or a clear image? My parents are both mac users and computer-stupid but I'd trust them that much.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 13, 2016