Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Probably a bad sensor or some such. I've never looked at any temps aside from my CPU, GPU and HDD's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Does anyone know of a good capture card that has a BNC connection? I was looking at something like this (The first google result). Is this going to be sufficient, or is there something better/cheaper with decent software, possibly to DVR onto my computer?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Karthe posted:

I couldn't find a "short questions" thread in IYG so I'm hoping it's alright to post this here. Anyway, does such a thing exist as a male-to-male 90-degree HDMI adapter? I recently received a PlayStation TV and I want to wire it into a small 4-port HDMI switch without having a bunch of stiff cable sticking out behind the switch. Something like this:

The M-to-F adapter is a piece of cake to find - I purchased one a few months back from Monoprice. Unfortunately, it seems as though no one needs a M-to-M variant of that adapter so it's all but impossible to find. Have you guys seen anything like this? Is there a better way to accomplish this setup?

I've never seen one like that. I've seen a male-male straight, but not a 90 degree bend. You'd probably be just as easily served by getting a short 1.5' cable and just keeping it looped. That way you still have flexibility on the line if something gets moved for whatever reason. My only question is do you know if the PSTV is going to sit at the perfect height for the two 90 degree adapters to work right? If not you're looking at possible stresses breaking something over time, or using gap spacers of some sort. I would just go with a short cable in this case.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Chuu posted:

I'm in need of a new ADSL modem. The most popular (by newegg rank) appears to be the TP TD-8616. Any reason not to buy this one? Any danger is snagging a cheap used one on eBay?

I don't think ADSL has changed in years. All the DSL modems I've bought have been stupid cheap and work just fine. I've actually used a model similar to that and it worked perfectly.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

So I have a couple 3.5TB Seagate backup+ external drives that I want to take out of their enclosures and hook them up as regular sata drives. I want some USB ports back, and I figure I will get a lot better performance doing it this way.

I've been reading/watching stuff on doing this and it would see fairly straightforward, but then I also run across the occasional post from a person that can't get drive to show up unless they format it. I am assuming however that these people must be running older systems that don't support those drive sizes over sata.

Just basically looking for advice from anyone else that has done this. Backing up the data on these drives and reformatting isn't an option as I do not have the extra storage to hold the data during a process like that. Is there anything else I should check into before going ahead with this? I'm running Windows 8.1. If more info is needed just ask. I just really don't want to tear the enclosure apart only to find it won't show up unless I format it.

I've done that with a few drives a few times, and there's no real issue. It'll just show up as an extra HDD with all your data intact. I don't think I've ever really run across one that didn't.

If you're worried, when you tear apart the drive, just make sure to keep the usb controller chip and associated electronics intact, but I honestly don't think there will be a problem.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

Use Driver sweeper to get rid of all your old drivers, then download the new drivers from nVidia's site.

The windows drivers are fine for basic use but they won't run well on super-high resolutions or with games really.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

Probably should use Display Driver Uninstaller instead for dealing with the old GPU drivers. Driver Sweeper's not maintained or updated anymore after they moved everything to 'Driver Fusion' instead and ramped up their pricing model.

Ah, didn't know that, I'll update my info.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Furcifer posted:

Hey all,

My mom in Canada just switched internet providers from Rogers to Hitron, but was not permitted to use her old, purchased, Rogers modem. I find it a little suspect, since the new Hitron modem is also Rogers branded.

Here are the specs:

Old Rogers Modem:
SMC brand. Model # SMCD3GN-RRR
H/W Rev: 1B
S/W Rev: 1.4.0.42-RRR

New Hitron modem
Hitron brand. Model # CGN3
http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn3/
H/W Rev: 1A
S/W Rev: 4.2.4.3

Would it be possible to change some setting in the old Rogers modem to work with the new Hitron service? Modem rental is $10/month!

Thanks in advance!

Will they allow you to purchase your own modem at all? Is there a reason OTHER than it's Rogers branded? Wrong firmware? Them just being dicks? Can you buy your own modem and put it on?

I'm not sure about your ISPs up there, but there is an off chance that Rogers put some "special" firmware that will prevent it from working right.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Furcifer posted:

They just said it was faster and that she should use theirs. I was hoping there was some simple MAC clone/nickname setting in the modem that I could use and copy over to the old one? I guess firmware could be an issue and I'm SOL?

What are your Internet speeds? Your old modem is a Docsis3 4x4 channel modem, while the one they're trying to force on you is a 28x8 channel modem. Unless you're running some 100+ mbps internet, you're not going to need the old modem. I think your 4x4 will work with up to 160mbps max download speeds and be consistent about 100mbps. If you're pushing something above 100 you'll definitely need a newer modem.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Rukus posted:

Gothmog has pretty much answered it for you:

Being completely separate devices there is no way to flash the firmware on the 4x4 modem to make it a 28x8.
Oh, I know. Was just wondering if his speeds warranted it.

quote:

While a 4x4 modem would work, it's not allowed by the incumbent (Rogers). Rogers has laid down some new rules for third-party ISPs (Hitron) that use their network, one of which being that any new sign-ups have to use 28x8 modems over certain speeds (I think it's 60Mbps), regardless of the actual rated specs for older modems. This is mostly to keep their network in better shape, as the additional channels from these new modems help with congestion and the like. It really sucks right now because the only approved modems are the router/modem gateways that can be a pain in the rear end to bridge correctly.

And there's the kicker. The US having no actual cable competition, I didn't know how Canadialand handled multiple ISPs. Makes sense.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I tried to boot up my tower today, everything spun up for less than a second, then shut off. It would repeat this process as long as the power was on. It did sound like the heads on the HDDs were searching, but I'm not sure if that had to do with the problem or if that's just what they do when they first get power. It finally started up, but I want to fix this ASAP. My first inclination is to say PSU. It didn't POST, it didn't get to BIOS, it seems like the power just wasn't consistently available. Does that sound right?

It could be a few things. Mine does that on occasion, I have to do a static release (unplug it, hold down the power for 30 seconds) and it boots fine. If it's a continuous problem, then you may want to look into the PSU.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Auron posted:

Not sure if this has been covered:

I'm swapping my old CPU/Mobo/Ram in for an Asus Z97A/i5 4690k/8GB Ram, into my existing case, keeping my existing SSD and most everything else as they aren't that old.

With Windows 8.1, this should be fairly straightforward without requiring a reformat correct? Windows/BIOS are in AHCI mode in my current setup, so I should just have to boot up, switch to AHCI mode in bios (if that not defaulted nowdays on motherboards?), select my boot drive, and go right? Possibly have to reactivate? And if I reactivate, do I just have to call microsoft to explain the situation?

I did this recently (Went from an AMD Athlon X2 to an intel i2700k), and it worked without a hitch.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Have you actually tried a power brick? Sounds like the battery is dead (possibly bad).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Give me a suggestion goons:

I work at a school where we have chromebooks. For some reason Dell didn't think that any threadlocker would be necessary so the screws fall out all the time. Is there a good thread locker we can use to help that isn't retarded expensive?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, help me make sure I'm not overlooking something before I pull the trigger on a new PSU:

i7 2600k
Asus xxxxxtreme or some crap mother board
3 HDD's
SSD
650w Antec PowerBlue PSU

Electricity went off at the house, computer wont' boot. Unplugged, held down power, plugged back in, wont' boot. Tore computer down basically to the motherboard, won't boot.

HOWEVER if I jumper the power supply to boot it that way, it comes on. I can plug it back into the board, and it will boot. If I power it down (in any capacity), it will not boot again.

PSU or the motherboard?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
It's this motherboard (Asus P67 Extreme6). I'm assuming the little power button in the lower corner (left on that picture) is the equivalent.

That's the thing though, once I get it to power on by shorting the PSU directly, it will power on the entire system. Not sure for how long, but it wont' let it power again after that. I have to short the PSU and then plug it into the board to power it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

How are you shorting the PSU while the main ATX connector is plugged in?

Electrically, the power switch performs the same function as the shorting thing. If one works, the other should, too.

I'm taking the connector out, shorting it, it fires up, then plugging it back in, pressing the "power button" and it fires up, shut it down, and nothing.

e: I'm on it now. Let's do a few reboots to see if I can figure out what the hell is going on.

And I can't get to replicate the issue. Going to post a Haus to see if anyone might be able to figure it out, but I think it's pointing motherboard at this point in time.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 29, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

What's the best router/modem worth spending money on to replace the lovely comcast loner?

I think a general consensus is the Asus AC68U is one of the best consumer routers on the market right now

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

SteveMcQueen posted:

I did a quick search but apologies if this is a frequent question. How often should I replace a hard drive? I have a 1TB Samsung from 2010 coming up on it's 5 year anniversary. Crystal Disk pegs it at 4,500 hours powered on. No sign of problems yet but I thought I heard 5 years was a good time to upgrade somewhere. Thanks!

Back up your data and replace it when it fails. You could get another 10 years out of it. You should have a backup regardless.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

MTV Crib Death posted:

I did edit the virtual memory paging when I was running into the 100% disk usage thing that sometimes happens in Windows 8. But this would have been wiped out when I did a fresh OS install, correct? Either way, the problem was the same before and after.

edit: Reinstalling the OS also fixed the 100% disk usage problem. Nothing else worked.

You'll probably need a Haus post for this, but did it start after a driver update? May be the latest graphics drivers are causing some unknown issue and you might have to rollback drivers. Echoing the check your temps too.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

Most laptop fans are universal, at least per-OEM or for a major laptop line (ie: DV6xxx). Make sure the size is correct - if you're replacing a 30mm/40mm fan make sure the replacement is the same size.

If a laptop's overheating, besides checking vents and the heatsink(s) for blockages I would replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Use something non-conductive like ceramique, MX-4, etc., and not AS5.

The only universal parts I've found in laptops are the RAM, HDD and CMOS battery. I would always double check that number directly on the fan. It's always better to take that extra step than to have the wrong one.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
VOIP phones? Is there any reason to go with anything much over MagicJack? I used to use Vonage and it was pretty good, but I'm looking for cheap too.

Basically I"m going to cancel my TWC phone. We like having the house phone because A> we get lovely cell service and B> We like having a number to give out that we can easily ignore.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I will second the vote on using Obihai with Google Voice. It cut my landline from a $40 a month bill to a one time $50 payment almost two years ago. Setup is painless but might take a few hours of your day for the initial setup of entering your information and having the system connect.

That poo poo looks amazing except for the fact it looks like I can't transfer my current number in. I WOULD like to keep my number, and it's considered a LandLine/VOIP number.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

FCKGW posted:

You can, but you have to port to a cell line temporarily through something like a T-Mobile SIM card.

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

You can also use a 3rd party like PhonePower with the obihai and port whatever you want over as well. I ended up using PhonePower as the provider with the obihai because it offered e911 service and a few other features. Pricing is $35/year.

Thanks man. I'll have to do PhonePower, google can't port my number at all. Still a poo poo load cheaper even than my promotional rate.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there any downside to imaging a failing hard drive? I have a laptop that someone gave to me, and Crystal Disk is showing a Caution sign. Was just going to use Macrium to image the disk to a new one, and throw it back into the laptop.

Any corrupt data on the old drive will transfer to the new drive. If the drive won't boot for whatever reason, imaging it won't magically make it boot. It's always best to back up the data as best as possible and install fresh on the new drive.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I have an odd one.

I'm in a school system and we gave out some new computers to teachers, all is well and good. A few of them have their own personal printers. However, for some reason on one teacher's computer it will not allow me to select a local printer at all. TEachers have local admin rights, GPO is correct for the computer, but for some reason it refuses to let us add a local printer, it goes straight to the network ones. Is there anything we may be missing on this, so I can get the printer installed?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

PPills posted:

Is it okay to unplug a usb hard drive from the cable end connecting to the hdd, rather than the end that connects to the computer? Hard drive is a WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB USB 3.0. No external power plug. Windows 7.

I know the obvious answer may be, 'it doesn't matter which side you disconnect from', but, being that it is USB 3.0, as you may know the connector is different, and much wider than the standard mini-usb from usb 2.0 devices.

I feel as if I'm gonna abruptly cut off the electric running through the circuitry on the hdd end of the cable and end up frying my hdd or something. If that makes any sense at all.

What do you think happens when you unplug the other end?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is the best way to wipe an SSD for resale?

Turn on TRIM and delete all of the files.

Many brands have a utility that you can do a "Secure erase" with.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Darth Ronson posted:

My PC has a pink and green pair of audio sockets, one for headphones, one for microphone. A lot of PC headset seem to have one combined jack. How can I tell if my PC can accept this kind of jack, or if I need to get some kind of splitter that splits the black one on the headset into green and pink?

Normally it'll be a half pink/green plug, and have the symbol with both mic and speakers with a slash.

Worst you can do is plug it in and see if it works.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm RMAing a PSU to Seasonic.

They had a note about sending them the PSU with prepaid shipping...do they mean I need to prepay the shipping for a replacement unit or just that I need to pay postage to send out my RMA'd unit? :confused:

Normally when they do this, they mean they're sending you a label via Email that you can use for shipping.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Hi thread. I'm building a house and want to have Ethernet drops everywhere I have a cable drop, and want an Ethernet patch panel in one of the closets.

Is this more common in home building now?
  • Would a commercial electrician be familiar with how to do this properly?
  • What are things to look out for?
  • What are ways I am likely to gently caress up communicating with the builder?
  • What kind of cables would I want? CAT 6e?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If the electrician is properly licensed, they will have a low voltage license, which means they should know how to set up any keystone jacks. Most electricians will pull your wiring and tag it for you without hooking it up. However, call your local building inspector and find out if there are laws in your specific area. I know my area is too dumb to know what cat cabling is.

There are a lot of ways to gently caress up communicating with the builder. Staying on point and going to your house frequently (especially with pulling any communication cable) to make sure they're doing it right. I know a guy who was building a house and the builder kept getting what he was saying wrong (He was running phone and cat5 together, but having it terminate at different places, but the builder kept putting them in the same spot).

Cat6e should futureproof your house for quite a while.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Thank you! I had thought that it was a separate certification, but its good to know a licensed electrician should have it.

What do you mean by they will pull the wiring and tag it but not hook it up? Do you mean they won't terminate the Cat6e connection into a wall jack?

It depends on the electrician. If they have the low voltage license they should do it without a problem. Some electricians simply don't screw with it at all, at least in my experience, but they will pull cable. Talk to your electrician (or the electrician the contractor is using) to see if they'll pull, terminate, and tag cat6 cabling.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This probably isn't a simple issue, but hopefully a simple question:

My computer won't boot! Basically I'm running win 10 on an i7 4600k (I think), and my computer has been a bit wonky (problems starting) when I put in the new board. The computer will come up with the splash screen, and if I slam tab fast enough to get the splash screen gone, it will get to a point with a blinking line and that's it. NO beeps, no errors. I can't get into the BIOS, etc. What happened is my computer started making the USB connect/disconnect noise constantly, which prompted me to reboot (As it hadn't been done in a while). Is there anything to look at until I replace my PSU (By far the oldest component in the computer - Antec TruePower? Blue 600w)?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Well tab is usually used to just site what the bios is doing. Delete and F2 are the usual keys to get into the bios.

See if there is a CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard. If you aren't using any kind of raid configuration, I would suggest using the CMOS reset first.

Yeah, it switches from the splash to the actual boot screen. None of my other keys work (Both DEL and F2 go to UEFI, F11, or F12 work).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

SlayVus posted:

If you trying to go from one motherboard to a new one and it is not the same chipset, you need to reinstall the OS or do some driver finalizing.

I did that a while back, it swapped with no issues. It's either a PSU or motherboard issue I'm gambling on. Trying to get a PSU used to test with, don't feel like ripping my wife's out. It does the same thing even with no drives attached, so it's not a drive issue. I'll Haus if I go deeper into troubleshooting, but was just seeing if anyone could think of something other than a PSU issue.

e:

Well, I'm a goddamn idiot. I even had the problem right in the first post. My USB Hub seems to have poo poo the bed, and when I shut down, something happened and corrupted my SSD.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 5, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Deuce posted:

I just moved, took apart my computer and cleaned out the case and whatnot. Put everything back together but now I can't fire up. When I plugged in, there was a momentary flicker of the various LEDs, (like on the GPU) and then dark. Now nothing happens if I push the power switch. On the motherboard (Asrock extreme4 z97) there's a CLRCBTN1 button. If I push that, I get the flicker again.

Did I damage something during the move? Or is there some dumbass thing I probably hooked up wrong?

Edit: the fans also give half a spin.

Pull the power plug, and hold down the power button for 15 or so seconds. If that doesn't work, make sure to reseat all the power cables, then remove any PCI/E or USB connections and attempt to power it again. If it doesn't power, it's possibly a bad PSU or motherboard. If it powers, add things back one by one until you find the culprit.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a specific type of rivet gun and rivets I can use to "repair" broken hinge mounts on laptops? It's for personal use so looks aren't incredibly important.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I asked this in the PC Build thread (as a follow-on question related to my custom build) but didn't get any answer so i'm moving it here:

I have an SSD I bought previously that I'm planning to use as my primary storage device in my new PC. Should I do something before I turn on the pc for the first time, like steps to wipe the SSD clean? I did a quick Google search and some people said that the magician software will take care of all that but I'd just like to confirm that I shouldn't be formatting it first. I did use it a while back as external storage on my old laptop.

Not really necessary, unless you've got your nude pics SUPER IMPORTANT data that you don't want anyone to see, which is pretty much going to be gone on a reformat anyways. Just format and partition as normal when installing your OS.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Yeah, I don't need any of the data already on it. My main concern is that I created a partition on it months ago and it might cause issues when installing a brand new system on top of it without deleting the partition first.

I can't think of an OS installer that doesn't have basic partitioning abilities before installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Anecdotal: When I worked at TWC, we seemed to have a lot of problem with 6141's constantly dropping connection. People HATED it when I told them it was their modem, when it actually was. "Here, let me send out one of ours, and use it for a week and see if it does it" Frothing rage ensued.