Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Hello. I posted on the last page of the old thread. I was trying to get back into PC gaming with a computer that was sitting idle for 3-4 years. Long story short, one of the video cards has failed outright and the other is getting there.

So, now I'm shopping for a new computer. How's this for a prebuilt?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fdcwgs101rw7&model_id=xps-8700

This is what I was working with.

http://imgur.com/WXwNj4i

How do the processor and video card compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thank you, I'll ask there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I need a microphone for PC gaming. Hands-free would be ideal. Should I just get a generic bluetooth headset?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I have a wired 360 controller for PC games that don't feel quite right with a keyboard and mouse. You can plug the headset into it?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes that should work. You may need to enable it in the Recording Devices tab of the sound control panel.

I know it works with my wired headset plugged into my wireless controller run through the wireless adapter dongle at least..

What I'm reading online suggests the same. Alright then, I'll do that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

So, just asking, but does anyone know where I could get a replacement ribbon for a Silver-Reed Sovereign 720 typewriter?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I want to get a small microphone that I can put on top of my monitor so I can use that digital assistant thing that comes with Windows 10.

Figure you could recommend one?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Makes sense. I'll just put some electrical tape over the camera.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Switched to Comcast VOIP because it saves me like 1000bux a year, but it required me to put their modem on the first floor instead of next to my desktop on the second. I do not have an ethernet cable long enough to connect the two. What's the easiest way to give a desktop computer wireless capabilities?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I think I may have actually asked this somewhere on this forum at some point in the past, but I forgot what answer I was given and where I asked it. So, sorry for the repeat.

Gonna buy a 1060 within the month, there are single and dual fan models. If I have no intention of overclocking anything, the single fan version should keep everything cool enough even at 100%. Is that correct?

This is the exact card I'm looking at. - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

We just had the debate in the Parts Picking Thread. Basically the 1060 is cool enough that you can get away with a single-fan card as long as it's a decent vapor-chamber cooler like the EVGA SC cards and not just a slug cooler like the Zotac Minis. However, assuming the price is similar and you have the space, there is no reason to choose a single-fan card over a dual-fan card. The dual-fan cards are still cooler and quieter at a given TDP. It's worth let's say $20 extra, it's just not worth $60+ extra.

Thank you for repeating yourself. I'll go try to find that first post now.

I really should wait until I'm actually ready to buy stuff before I ask these kinds of questions.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

My brother's trying to connect a second monitor to a work laptop, anyone have a recommendation for either a displayport splitter or a USB-A to DP/HDMI adapter? I cannot separate the wheat from the chaff on amazon anymore.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Work issued windows lappy, 2 USB-As, 1 USB-C that is also the charger, a displayport and a HDMI.The monitor currently in play is a 1080p deal for screen extend, not sure what the other one is used for. Tried getting an anker usb-c media hub but the passthrough charging didn't work, a more expensive version has been ordered and they'll both be returned if it's some kind of fundamental incompatibility, wanted an option if that doesn't work out.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Accidentally damaged a displayport 1.4 cable because I did not know locking cables were a thing. Anyone have a Brand they'd recommend for a decent-quality replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Now that I know the locks exist I am lock-neutral.