Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Setting up a server for PXE .iso deployment. Will two PCI single port NIC cards perform the same as a dual port NIC card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

PCI? As in legacy PCI? Identical performance, assuming all of the cards involved are the same PCI version. Either PCI 1.0 NICs will saturate the entire bus for a total of 133 MB/s of throughput (1064 Gb/s, 6.4% faster than a single connection), or PCI 2.0 NICs will manage their top GbE speeds, as long as there is no other PCI card on the bus.

Sorry, not legacy, PCI-E. Just need to know if I should buy two single port ethernet cards or one of the dual port ethernet cards.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Just fished an Intel Quad Core Duo out of a bad mobo, and was wondering if a generalized clone using something like Acronis would let me swap it out for the Core 2 Duo in another machine without having to re-install everything.

EDIT: Actually, sysprep would probably work instead, right?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

If you're just swapping a CPU then what are you planning on cloning to/from?

Just stick the CPU in and if it works it will boot up and that's it.

It's for a PC I sold on Craigslist and the guy lives an hour away, but heads up this way every once in a while, so I was wanting to swap them out and get him back up and running with whatever he put on there in a few hours so I don't have to drive 2 hours again.