Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've just replaced the thermal paste on my Toshiba satellite laptop. I put the thing back together, and now there seems to be no power to either the display or the usb ports. The hdd seems to be working and the fan spins, but nothing else.

I've drained the power, i've tried a different display, i've checked the ram, which seems fine. Anything obvious I'm missing or is it off to a shop? Or getting replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

cisco privilege posted:

Did you miss any screws when reinstalling or was the CPU heatsink not screwed down completely? Maybe try reseating the RAM sticks. Also what kind if thermal paste did you use? Some of them are conductive like AS5 that can be really bad for exposed laptop CPUs and GPUs.

As far as I can tell every screw went back exactly where it came from, and I used Arctic silver 3. I'm going to strip it again and see what gives, thanks.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

As far as I can tell every screw went back exactly where it came from, and I used Arctic silver 3. I'm going to strip it again and see what gives, thanks.

and twenty or so minutes later it's working again after a windows repair thing, although I have no idea what happened that was different, ha. thanks anyway cisco.