Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I want to buy a Bluetooth dongle to use my console controllers, but I'm completely ignorant on the different Bluetooth standards. From what I have read, use of Wii hardware relies on Bluetooth standard 2.0 with a preference for 2.1 -- why, I have no idea. PS3 seems to rely on a standard called CSR which seems to be a synonym with version 4.0 of the standard. Finally, the Wii U controller seems fine with the 2.1, but god knows what standard the PS4 controller uses.

Help me pick a Bluetooth dongle that isn't absurdly expensive and which can (hopefully) support all of those consoles. I guess I can also accept two dongles if that's the best cost-effective and/or practical solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You may just want to blow five bucks on a 5m Mini-USB cable for the DualShock 3; then just use Scarlet.Crush's XInput Wrapper (...) Or better yet a DualShock 4, Micro-USB cable and appropriate driver.

Uh, I did hear the DS4 can be used with just a micro-USB cable, but AFAIK the DS3 only used the cable for charging the battery and the only way to use it on a computer would be Bluetooth. If that isn't correct however and I can use a cable as well, then I would only need a Bluetooth adapter that can deal with the Nintendo stuff making things (in theory) easier for me. Is that correct? I certainly don't mind cables and then I would only need one of the 2.1 Bluetooth standard dongles recommended for Wii stuff and recheck if it also works with the Wii U controller.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Do you have Wi-Fi? Because the Intel 7260 (now in desktop kits too!) is the best drat Wi-Fi card on the planet and it supports both Wireless-AC and Bluetooth 4.0

Uh, my desktop is wired so I reckon this card would be a waste of money in my specific case.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm undecided if I should post here or in the laptop thread. Anyway, my work laptop is an Asus K750J. The battery died. There is no battery compartment, because OF COURSE there isn't. There is no information anywhere that I could find on what steps would be involved to replace the battery (checked Ifixit, Youtube, random sites). Still, I assumed I could replace it myself, so I ordered a new battery and removed 12 loving screws on this thing, and I thought that would be enough.

But turns out that was just the start of my problems. The cover didn't come off, so I had to use a... spanner (is that what those plastic things to open smartphones are called?) and now I'm at an impasse. I managed to open one side but the battery seems to be exactly on the opposite end.

And the other side, while I did manage to pry it a bit open, it seems like I'll have to apply way more force to get it open which is worrisome. And I can't just throw the cover from the end I got open because of those three tiny wires connecting the different sides. They look very frail and, even if I manage to get them off without breaking any contact or whatever, going to put them back in I imagine is going to be a pain the rear end.

Suggestions, please? Should I try to unplug the wires even though I could potentially gently caress the laptop entirely? Should I try to continue to pry open the other end of the laptop to raise the cover where the battery is?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I need to buy a bunch of SSD drives for my old PS3s and PS4s consoles (four of those things). Speed is not a concern considering the devices involved don't really take advantage of the faster SSDs.

I'd say my requirements are: 1TB storage size, reliable, and very power efficient -- my main concern is keeping the temperatures on those old things low and still having those drives working years later. But considering how many I need to get, good pricing would be ideal too.

I have not done this before and I understand very little about SSD models, their history, or reliability considerations per brand. I believe they have to be 2.5'' SATA and that's about it.

What would you recommend?

Edit: is a WD Green SSD a good idea? Them old Playstations use really slow SATA and since my main concern is power usage, this seems like the best option from my limited understanding.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 22, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm genuinely curious, how come you have four PS3s/PS4s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sjhjFOw4Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNQcdThO4ZA

Do you wanna know how many PS5s I got? Five! Zero! I'm not the person in those videos. Do you think I'm made of money.

There's a whole retro videogames forum in our beautiful community. There's this smilie :retrogames:. There's three PS3 models. Surely, you get where I'm going with this? :v:

But assuming you are actually curious: one standard PS4 (not slim, not Pro, but the MSGV model which has a gorgeous scarlet design with golden letters), and three PS3s. Of those, it's a superslim as the main one that still goes online, a slim one (my original PS3) which is hacked to hell and back and can't go online, and very recently a Japanese fully backwards compatible fat model that I just got to (in theory) play older games across all Sony generations with the one device. This latter one is extremely superfluous, but FOMO being what it is, I didn't want to pass on it anymore since they are vanishing (too collectable) and/or breaking down (too fragile).

But anyhow. What's a good, low power reliable SATA SSD for old computer-like devices? Is it the WD Green? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CloFan posted:

It's pretty anecdotal but I've had good luck with whatever cheap SanDisk, Kingston, or SiliconPower drives were in stock. As long as you don't get a no-name brand it should be fine I would think. Only ever had one fail, it was an SP, and it was one out of an order of 120 that was DOA and replaced immediately no questions asked

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Reliability and power efficiency aren't really concerns anymore. Just get a drive with TLC flash from a name brand like Samsung, Sandisk, etc, and you're good. Known good drives are the Samsung EVO drives, Crucial MX500, Sandisk Ultra, and there are lots of others (like the aforementioned Kingston or Silicon Power)

edit: I honestly don't know what the playstations do and don't benefit from when it comes to SATA SSDs, so I'm just sticking to the known good drives for general use. They're all power efficient, you don't have to worry about consumption. And the WD Green probably isn't more efficient than the others anyway.

Much appreciated. I am seeing some good priced Kingston A400 960GB, so I guess I'll pick a couple of those and see how it goes before I buy the rest.