Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Are external USB enclosures for laptop HDs any good, or should I get some kind of adapted to connect them directly? I've got two laptop HDs from dead laptops that I want to pull data off (one about 3 years old, the other about a decade old) and onto a desktop, and an external enclosure would suit my needs except I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they're all barely-functional hot garbage, is that still true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure my GPU fan is giving up the ghost. Well, it's been loudly having problems for a while, but now its performance has dropped to the point where I should probably do something about it beyond the biannual dose of compressed air, and the machine's out of warranty. How does replacing a GPU fan work in these days of blinged-out graphics cards? And are graphic card fans still somewhat standardized to the point where I can just get basically anything, or do I have to pick something specific based on size or GPU brand or whatever?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I got an aftermarket cooler (Arctic Twin Turbo III) for my video card, but in addition to the fans-and-heatsink assembly for the front of the card, it comes with a giant backplate heatsink for cooling the VRAM and stuff that doesn't fit in my machine.

I'm not planning on overclocking or anything intensive like that, I just want to replace my old broken stock cooler that makes a bunch of scary noises and occasionally triggers video crashes. I'm guessing that even without the backplate, this aftermarket cooler will perform better than the stock cooler did, and I don't really want to send it back and buy the version without the backplate and spend an hour pasting on separate heatsinks for every individual chip on the card. Will some huge calamity be likely to befall me if I leave off the extra backplate heatsink?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alereon posted:

I don't think you can install without the backplate, as mounting is kind of a "sandwich" with the front heatsink and backplate squeezing the card.

Ah, crap, that makes sense. Guess fan replacement day is a total bust, then. I tried swapping out the CPU fan too, but I only bought a fan and it turns out my fan and heatsink are permanently stuck together as a single unit. Thanks for the quick response!