Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if this'll sound a bit off or not, but are there any currently recommended models/brands of webcams and printers? For webcams, I just assume Logitech, but I don't know if buying an actual video camera would be a better investment? As for printers, I have no drat clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I got a pair of Samson SR850 headphones and an Audio-Technica ATR2500 USB mic together for a little over $100. I mean, sure it's expensive (compared to a $30 headset), but these two sound really great and I've loved them thus far. I'd totally recommend them. I'll likely be using them until they break.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
So just to make sure, sticks of RAM rated at 1.6 volts (like the G.Skill Ares series at 2133mhz speed) are okay for Z97 boards, right?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I was going to start looking for a nice webcam, and I figured I'd just ask here if anyone knows of a brand other than Logitech that makes a nice one.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
If it's a secondary storage drive, I'd suggest Western Digital Reds or Seagate Hybrid drives.

If it's a secondary recording drive, I'd suggest Western Digital Blues or Seagate Hybrid drives.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Bulk storage - I do recording on the primary. When mixes and poo poo are done I'm just going to yoink it over to the other drive.

Also, I... I didn't even know Hybrid drives were a thing :monocle: - I've been out of the computer-parts-buying-loop for 2-3 (maybe 4?) years since building my current machine.

Eh, they're not a big deal. It's still just a large platter drive (1TB+) that has 4/8GB of SSD Cache. It makes them snappy, but not really SSD speed. Just more-so than a standard disk. I recommended them because sometimes they're not much more expensive than an equivalent Red/Blue, and they're nice as long as you're not paranoid about the whole Backblaze horseshit.

So yeah, check Western Digital Red drives or Seagate Hybrid ones.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
So, I have a question about my Gigabyte R9 290X. I just got it and swapped out my GTX 760. I was playing Skyrim with the GTX 760 before, and with all the mods loaded from the STEP list, I reliably played at 60 FPS at 1080p. Now here I am with what should be a much more powerful card, and I'm hitting 43 FPS and I'm only halfway through the STEP list. Does anybody know what gives, I thought this card was supposed to be the poo poo? Is there some setting I'm missing? This is what my main window in Afterburner looks like after running around a bit, along with some graphs and my fan curve.

Don't know if those images help.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Alereon posted:

You're on video drivers that are extremely old. Uninstall your current drivers, run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, and then install the latest Catalyst Beta drivers.

Alright, well that helped, but now I have this feeling my card is thermal throttling. What's a good way to test and get proof as to whether it is or not? People in an IRC chat are telling me my Gigabyte Windforce 290X shouldn't be going over 70C-75C, and yet when I get into my game, it's climbing up to 85C (which is some limit set in CCC?) and GPU Load keeps saying 100% in Afterburner.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Alereon posted:

85C is the thermal target for your card in Normal/Quiet mode, down from 95C on the stock R9 290X. It's not throttling per se, it just will adjust clockspeeds, voltages, and fan speeds to maintain that temperature. Uber mode seems to drop that to 75C if you want to try switching, but fan noise will be louder.

Ah, alright. So it'll just aim for 85C regardless? Does this mean I can sent a lower fan curve since it'll just want to go for 85 no matter what? 'Cause I'm used to my 760, where if it got 85C, my fans were going 80% speed. Do you know of a good fan curve plan, or is this something I should just not mess with?

Also, is Power Target % in GPU Tweak/Afterburner something I should mess with, or is it useless to me unless I'm overclocking?

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 4, 2015

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

I posted this in the PC system build thread, but got no answer. I googled a bit, and didn't find anything clear, so I'm still clueless:

In addition to an i3-4160, that is.

I'd imagine a 750Ti, but that's my answer to everything that wants graphics, but doesn't need a lot.

Edit: Nvm, Alereon got it.

I have a real question though, and I've done some searching and can't seem to find anything aside from some YOSPOS posts and it's kinda hardware and related to computers. I'm looking for a nice chair that I won't have to replace as often as the cheapo garbage I buy at Walmart. Someone recommended some 370 dollar Maxnomic chair, and while I don't doubt the quality and totally understand paying a lot for something I'm going to be sitting my fat nerdy rear end in for god-knows-how-many hours, I was just wondering if anybody has any other input on the matter, or other chairs that they'd recommend for their butts.

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Zaq posted:

My ancient crappy headset with mic has finally started to fall apart and I need to get a new mic.
I'm not sure if I want a headset mic or something standalone. I'd just be using it for games like Overwatch.
The current ones I just wear around my neck since I don't really like to get sound from the headphones, and the mic picks up well enough like that.

Should I just get a decent headset and learn to have the audio through that? Or is a microphone on its own an actually OK option?

Any suggestions, comments or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated

I like having control over separate things. I got an Audio Techinica ATR-2500 USB mic (~60$), and a pair of Samson SR850 (~50$). If all you're gonna be doing playing games and wanna communicate to others, I'd get a nice pair of headphones, then get a clip-on mic like chuu got since you don't sound like you need a really good sounding mic, just one that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
If I have Mackie CR3 speakers and I decided to get an amp/DAC, would how would I go about connecting them? Do I ever bother? Do the speakers stay plugged into the computer back panel, and the amp/DAC only for my headphones, or can the speakers be plugged into them as well?