Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is the best way to wipe an SSD for resale?
Format it, then write the drive's entire capacity with garbage data if you're really worried about things and it's too old to support TRIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

It's not the best idea entirely over the drive without knowing what model it is, though, that'll just reduce the lifespan of every cell.

Yeah, by one write cycle per cell, which is no big deal. Even some really old ones still handle like 50,000 cycles per cell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

For some reason I thought it worked in the same way that whole drive encryption does: it throws away the key making the entire drive effectively garbage data. But maybe it doesn't, or maybe most drives don't handle the data in that way.

On a decent group of drives, it just tells the cells to write themselves full of 0s, thereby using a write cycle. For that matter deleting anything on a drive with TRIM enabled tends to do the same thing, once the recycle bin is emptied that is. You do that and your only hope of recovering your just deleted data is breaking out the very low level test equipment maybe, if the cell hasn't been purged yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The most correct way is to just buy a longer ethernet keyboard, and maybe a switch for partway up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexxed posted:

It's probably a modem + voip device that breaks out the telephone service, so it needs to be near where all of the phone extensions in the house originate (near where the phone line comes into the house).

If this is the case, he can also just buy a long telephone line cord instead. Also in most homes, so long as the feed from the outside telephone line has been cut off, the phone lines on the multi-function modem/router/telephony box can simply be plugged into any phone jack in the house, the signal will connect through to all the other jacks,

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is there a best brand of USB thumb drive, or are they all largely similar?

Some of them are actually SSD quality:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E65QM8O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=8Z12UB2CZP4C&coliid=I3C46ONF1YUTNH&psc=1

Basically, if you need real speed, or real huge storage, you will have to pay. If you just need USB 2.0 and will hold 32 GB of data for a year, anything will do.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

How many "beige" computers are beige only because their original white/pale gray color was ruined?

Not many at all, the vast majority of them were beige on the shelves fresh from the delivery truck, and in the promotional images in advertising and packaging.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Given the fact that SSDs can be expected to slowly lose files if they're not rewritten from time to time, over a number of years, what's the best thing to do, say, yearly to try to get as much of your files rewritten that haven't been touched as you can? I'm thinking that doing a defrag with an algorithm that does sorting should sufficiently shuffle things up to ensure the charge potential or whatever is still fresh enough.

Sure you'll probably end up rewriting every cell 5 times in the process each year, but that's minimal compared to the cycle lifetimes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

SSDs already manage their data internally to prevent it from aging excessively, the only reason to do this would be if you were storing a drive unpowered. And you shouldn't do that with flash media anyway.

Well the thing is I'll be replacing this current SSD eventually, and won't have anything sane to run it in on a daily basis - at most it'll be a drive in an enclosure that gets used every so often, since it's only 600 GB. I'd like to use it as an extra long term ish storage thing for files I don't particularly care about.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PBCrunch posted:

In Windows (7 in this case, since the machine doesn't have NX bit), is it possible to have 3 monitors, and for two of them to be mirrored and the third one is extended?

Monitors A, B, and C. Monitor A has its own display. Monitor B extends monitor A. Monitor C is a mirror of monitor B.

Is this possible without relying on third-party software?

I have been able to do this on a past computer, using just the built in display controls. It's been several years though so I can't describe which precise things you need to do, but it did it with just the standard video card drivers and the control panel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

So I have acquired a tablet with a broken digitizer, however finding a replacement is impossible and the company which made it is asking for a fee that's ridiculous since it's out of warranty. So I'm thinking, since it's otherwise functional to convert it to something else useful. Is there any info out there on how to go about this? I've seen suggestions for conversion into a mini-pc, a laptop or making a TV into Smart TV, but google is just throwing garbage up.

What operating system does it run? If it's a Windows one you can be sure that you can plug in a mouse a nd keyboard into any USB port it has to control it, but if it's Android you may or may not be able to use a mouse/keyboard over USB without confirming something on screen, requiring a working touchscreen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

teagone posted:

My brother is giving me his PC since he just ordered a maxed out Dell XPS 15 and is going to just use that as his main computer now. Once he gives me his, I plan on giving mine to my dad. My question is can I just move around the SSDs with Windows 10 installations into their new respective computers?

The scenario would be I take out the SSD in my current PC and drop it into the PC my brother is giving me (he would keep his SSD and throw it in an external enclosure). Then I would take the SSD from my dad's current PC and put in the PC I'm giving him. All SSDs have Windows 10 already installed. Would that work? Or would I have to clean install windows when moving the SSDs around?

Your worst case scenario is to have to boot into safe mode to fix some drivers, probably with a Windows 10 USB drive on hand in case the drivers need to be taken off of there. Usually, it won't even need anything more than just starting it up, so long as you aren't moving between Intel and AMD

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

The Windows install won't freak out about the wrong motherboard being paired up? I thought that was one of the key things with the upgrade, it's OEM and on install it pairs with the motherboard. I remember Vista/Win7 having a shitfit moving to a new motherboard.

If they've all already had Windows 10 installed on them, then the hardware should still be valid, after it check with Microsoft.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crotch Fruit posted:

Any tips for a PC battery backup? Should I just spend $50 on a Best Buy special?

If you actually need a reliable backup power supply, never cheap out. The exact model you need will depend on how much power your system draws with the monitor and all accessories, and whether you just want "gimme 5 minutes to save and shut down" life or "I need to be able to keep going through a 3 hour blackout" life (and in the latter case, you'd want to tie modem and router into the backup as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I guess this belongs here which 128gb micro sd should I get for my surface pro 3 and GoPro?

You should get one with a high speed rating from a good manufacturer like Sandisk.