Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

red19fire posted:

I have this computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220211 with windows 7 that I purchased a few years ago. I've kept up on updates, etc. Months ago it had a problem with overheating and shutting down, so I replaced the heat paste and it was fine for a while.

Now I've noticed it's started to chug under load, the 'clicking' from the CPU is louder and has changed pitch, so it sounds like the computer is going to die any day now. Task manager says there's a hundred-plus programs running at any one time, and physical memory usage is permanently at 21%.

Is there anything I can do to tune it up or refurbish it?

Replace the CPU heatsink/fan and reinstall windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU