Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I just updated the bios on my motherboard and now I can't get into windows. I get past the bios but windows never starts, it blue screens and then restarts the PC. When it comes back on it says windows shut down improperly blah blah blah. Figured it might be something with my overclock but when I looked the bios update set the board back to default CPU settings. Anyone know what could have happened? Mobo is an msi z97m-g43 and CPU is a g3258. Windows 8 on a 250gb evo 840.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did your SATA settings change from AHCI to IDE?

When I checked it was AHCI. I switched it to IDE and now everything works fine... What are the differences between the two and why would this have changed?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Geemer posted:

IDE is the legacy method of communicating with your hard drive and motherboards can emulate it to support older OSes. AHCI is the modern-day equivalent and brings a bunch of improvements in speed, power handling and TRIM support for SSDs.

Changing to AHCI mode requires some finagling with Windows, but you'll probably see some improvements. And if you have an SSD, it's pretty much a requirement for it to work properly.*

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 This details the procedure for Windows 7 and also provides an automated fix it utility. Your steps would be to do what is said in this article and then go into the BIOS and change it to AHCI.

*If you have an SSD and it's been running on IDE mode all this time, you might want to back up all data, secure erase it and then restore the data. So it can get back to full speed again.
I'm using windows 8.1 so I don't think that link will help. When I tried googling it all I could come up with was ways to go from AHCI>IDE not the other way around.

I have no clue wether it was in IDE mode all this time or not. Guess I'll just back up, erase, and reinstall. Is there a certain tool I should use to erase it or will just reformatting the drive work?