Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Really stupid question here: My motherboard has 4 3.0 usb ports directly on the mother board, and my case has 2 3.0 usb ports on the front (which are in fact plugged into my motherboard). Is there any difference between plugging an item into the front of my case versus directly onto the mobo at the rear of my case (in terms of latency, speed, etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Alereon posted:

There is no difference between internal and external ports pe se, however it is likely they are connected to a different controller chip on your motherboard so may give a different experience. On most systems four of the USB 3.0 ports are provided by the Intel chipset, the rest by another chip from a company like ASMedia, for example. The Intel controller generally works best.

Are we talking significant difference or just slight? As in should I make sure all my input controlls (keyboards/mouse/joysticks) are in my motherboard then to obtain the lowest latency?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Alereon posted:

Your input devices should be connected to the black USB 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard. Only USB 3.0 devices should be connected to USB 3.0 ports, and preferably to the Intel controller first, though how well devices work with the Intel vs 3rd Party controller varies by device. In theory USB 3.0 ports should be functionally identical to USB 2.0 ports for USB 2.0 devices since the extra pins aren't even connected, but it does not actually work like that for some reason, plenty of people see issues with their mice and keyboards when using USB 3.0 ports. Mass storage devices do often run better though.

So what should I do if my motherboard only has two 2.0 usb ports, where my keyboard has two usb plugs and my mouse has one, and my hotas and rudder set up each have one as well (meaning I have 5 input plugs, but only two 2.0 usb ports)?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Geoj posted:

Your options are either use a USB hub or USB 2.0 expansion card. Or a new system board with more 2.0 ports.

Is there a recommended usb 2.0 expansion card? Reviews seem all over the map...

edit: Nvm found a good one. Thanks for the tips.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 10, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hmm ok I'll look into that before I get a PCI usb thing.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Alereon posted:

Definitely do not buy an add-in card, it won't help you at all. If you can't get D-brackets use a powered hub (your keyboard has one right?) or just use the Intel USB 3.0 ports until filled, then the supplemental USB 3.0 ports.

I got the bracket linked above! Thanks for all the tips, it means a lot!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Is there any great all in one program that can help me monitor my cpu temperatures and gpu temperatures. Ideally I'd love to have my second desktop have widgets for both (windows 8.1) but I hate bloat and sometimes those things are bundled with bullshit.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I am going to be replacing my i7 4790k stock fan cooler with a 212 EVO, but I have never done a replacement before. So I have a couple questions:

-When removing my old cooler, do I just yank it off?
-Is the the thermal paste that is going to be left over on the cpu going to be a problem?
-The 212 comes with a thermal paste applicator, but I have never done that because the intel coolers come with it pre-applied. Is there a particular pattern I should apply it in?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks so much guys! :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kind of a weird question for this thread, but I am looking for a little standalone device that can erase HDD's and SSD's, ideally to the standard military standard. I am aware I can do this in most machines, but it is for a production line and it would be better to have a simple plug and play device to expedite the process.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

^^^ Reuse.

Ha, I wish, that would be satisfying. I actually found one, I have a stupid question though, I know sata cables are the cables are the part that connects to the drive and delivers data, but what are the big blocky cords that deliver power called?

edit: Wait do sata cables deliver power?

edit: Double wait, are esata and sata the same cable?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 28, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

My co worker got an extended ATX motherboard and a case that claimed it supported EATX boards. And while the board BARELY fits inside the case, only three of the standoffs line up. Would that be enough to mount the board or is that a bad idea?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

cisco privilege posted:

Only the 3 total standoffs line up? Are you sure the board wasn't designed for a specific one-off server/workstation chassis?

Nearly certain.

edit: Now there is some even weird stuff going on because the motherboard, which is an LGA 2011 socket, cannot fit an H90 corsair cooler onto it even though it should fit standard 2011. I am so confused :psyduck:

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 27, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Why are some USB HUBS powered, and others unpowered? Is the safe bet to just get a powered hub? Also is there a relatively large USB hub goons recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but I have four drives on my computer. Both personal and work related. However almost all the data on it is something I would definitletly like to preserve. I have a total of ~5 TB of storage all together and I was hoping to find a good reliable service to back up all of that data. I don't want to pick and choose what to backup I just want to have it automatically and perhaps nightly back up everything I've done. There are a ton of services out there that appear to do this already but I don't know which one to trust and which one has a good track record.

Any suggestions?