Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a Western Digital 2TB Red to replace my current malfunctioning HDD. This is for storage purposes and Nvidia Shadowplay (1080p 60fps) only. Anything I should know beforehand or am I good to go?

Also the Calibration Retry Count on that HDD rose from 164 to 317 in only 10 days. How much of a short lifespan would I expect if this trend continues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Alereon posted:

Yes the WD Red is a fine drive, and there's no way to predict how long a failing drive will limp along but you should certainly copy off any data you care about before it does completely.
Thanks for the past advice you've given me regarding my HDD issue. My 2TB WD Red came in today and honestly I didn't expect how much silent and faster it would be over my old HD103SJ. I can't even hear it when it's inside my case. Really glad I got this.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Injuryprone posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a headset with mic for under $60? Everything on Newegg is pretty similiar and all the reviews cite the same durability / comfort issues.

I would tend stay away from microphone headsets. You would get better for less by buying a headphone and microphone individually.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
I noticed that a lot of people I find online are advising others to not get a Western Digital Red since they're considered to have a high failure rate. Aside from the higher than average failure rate of the 3TB models, is there any evidence towards this?

Edit:

To add onto that I remember quite a few people here stating that Seagate have been known to tamper with SMART data so as to hide early warning signs of drive failure. What evidence can I find of this?

Titor fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 19, 2014

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

cisco privilege posted:

You have a current pending sector count of 234 and 162 uncorrectable HDD sectors. That drive is failing. Backup what you need and RMA or replace it.

I'm curious, how did you exactly find the number count? Did you convert the RAW values? How would I go about finding the detailed numbered information you found?

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Rexxed posted:

The raw values are in hexadecimal (base-16). You can convert it with most calculators that support hex (the windows one will do it in programmer mode, just hit the hex radio button and type in EA then hit the dec radio button) or you can do it manually. The rightmost place in base 16 is the one's place and the second is the 16s place (like the rightmost digit in base 10 is the one's place and the next is the tens place). So you've got E 16s and A 1s, (in hexadecimal, numbers above 9 are represented as letters - A (which is 10), B (11), C (12), D (13), E (14), F (15)).

E 16s is 14 * 16 = 224 and A ones is 10 * 1 = 10. Add these up to get 224 + 10 = 234. Most programmers I know who work with hex regularly tend to just convert back and forth with a calculator because as you can see it'll get tedious when you get to the next digit which is the 256s place and beyond.

This is extremely informative. So if the RAW value of an Uncorrectable Sector Count is 00000000078B, would that mean it's 1931? That's an extremely high number so I'm concerned I might be making a major calculating mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
I'm looking for a good 14" 1920x1080 IPS screen to replace my current one for my Thinkpad T440. I know the screen compatibility requirements for my T440 but I'm unsure of what brand or specific models would be good. I'm based in the UK. Are there any recommendations or advice?

EDIT:

I've read online that LG have poor IPS displays. I'm hearing good things about AU Oprtonics though.

Titor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 7, 2014