Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

So I have a question re: air cooling. I'm mainly just playing around for fun and to learn at this point so theres nothing seriously at stake in what I'm doing here.

I have some case fans that I hooked up to one of those fan controllers (NZXT Sentry 3 or something) but it seems like the slowest I can set the fans on it is either 40% or off. 40% seems like it might be too high RPM, and also the fan controller is just unnecessary so I'm going to probably return it or just use it in a different computer for shits and giggles.

My mobo (gigabyte gaming 7 ) has 8 fan headers I guess and all are PWM? I think I'm actually gonna be able to do what I want to do with the mobo stock better than with that thing, which is just have more fans but lower RPM (quieter). Anyway I guess my question is, is there any way without me disassembling all that poo poo to quantify if I can get the fans to be slower than 40% capacity off the mobo?

I'm also bored n lonely at work and wanted somebody to talk to

ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

This reminds me that modular desktop PSUs have a lovely design attribute where the cables are often physically interchangeable between brands, but the pins are connected differently. Lots of stories of people frying all their equipment because they bought a new PSU and thought they could swap it in without replacing the cables.

jesus loving christ

:stare:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Re: video card prices

bitcoin mining lol

All of my cards are worth more now used than what i paid for them new

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

EssOEss posted:

Is this a controller limitation or just an observation? Because I have noticed massive differences in fans themselves - some fans will just stop at XX%, whereas others can go way further down on the same input.

I cant honestly answer wrt the fans but I can say its definitely a controller limitation. I'm going to rewire it all tomorrow and see what I can come up with

Maybe I should look at getting a different controller :shrug: I dont need one but its just fun to play around

The one I got was very highly rated and that's how I chose it. But god drat going from 0% to 40% is a big jump to me

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

out of solidarity with my floppy bros i shant assign drive A ever again

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i actually have a short question. whats a small form factor/low-ish power thing i can run ubuntu on? cant be raspberry pi since i think ARM has issues with dependencies i need. hardware capability wise other than the ARM thing the raspberry pi 3 is adequate

E: might give this a shot, anybody have any experience with it?
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-ZBOX-C...0_&dpSrc=detail

Worf fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 8, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Puddin posted:

I had one of those nucs (different brand) a year ago that worked fine for about 10 months then the power supply plug on the motherboard poo poo the bed.

It was only used for xbmc so the performance was great, Windows was a long boot time but bearable.

The only real drawback is if your putting a 2.5inch drove in it it can be a very tight squeeze.

Don't forget that most nucs don't come with any storage or RAM so figure that into the cost if you don't already have it.

i dont really care about money so much as silence, i think i might try the zotac one :shrug: 2gb RAM off ebay and whatever cheapo 30 gig SSD is all i really need

i was going to put a 2.5 inch drive in it but i guess i can see about just booting off of a USB or something. food for thought. thanks for responding

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is there a utility I can use to figure out how much power my PC is actually drawing?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Chuu posted:

How can I tell exactly how many external displays (and at what resolution) a laptop will support when researching which one to buy? It's really frustrating this info isn't on the spec sheets I am finding and I suspect it's not as easy at just counting all the ports.

i have a brand new intel and a brand new nvidia card and i think the highest resolutions i can push are basically two 4k monitors worth, though I can divide that up probably about as many ways as I want

I suspect most laptops you buy these days will be able to push 2x 4k monitors- i would google the specific laptops youre looking at with that question, or ask that specific question for specific laptop models in the laptop thread and somebody will definitely help you out there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 22, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have sennheiser pc350s. Probably overpriced garbage but nobody has ever had any issues with mic clarity. I like that i can mute it by swinging the boom up. Great build quality. They're just as good 4 years later as they were the day i got them.

They're comfortable to wear and get loud enough to hurt my ears while still seeming to sound good.

They're discontinued but can be purchased still and have been replaced, probably with much the same thing, but i have no experience with the replacement

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Overpriced maybe, but I'd like to think Sennheiser doesn't make anything that's truly garbage.

yeah i just dont know a thing about poo poo and didnt want to pass them off as being some sort of HIGH FIDELITY EXPERIENCE or something

theyre pretty well constructed and are good for my video games tho!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Sata3=6gb

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Drunk Badger posted:

How about something like this that appears to have everything already in it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076D76Z7L/

i have pretty much the same one. you're going to be hard pressed to get many people here to recommend a cherry trail cpu on anyhing

i only bought it because i use it to run a znc server and irc bot off of and it doesnt really matter what specs that runs on

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Drunk Badger posted:

Hmm, fair enough. By chance have you ever run video on it and can report how it is? I really just want something that would only be running a video stream and some browser tabs, and I was hoping it would be capable of at least doing that.

I haven't tested video but it's not very snappy honestly. To tell you the level of hardware I was initially trying to go with, I had first tried it on a raspberry pi.

Cherry Trail should genuinely be avoided for anybody that actually uses their stuff frequently imo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tapedump posted:

I agree, which is why:

1) It color-codes its info and summarizes with yellow "Caution" or red "Bad."

Now, these could be considered subjective by the pedant, so...

2) Google can help

Or, see also:

3) "We kinda all agreed on this"

Not trying to be a jerk but trying to say that while asking for verification is what these kinds of forums are for, I don't find the results of CrystalDiskInfo hard to follow.

Your statement is better paraphrased as, "SMART info is confusing, and therefore so is this info as presented in CDI, but, hey, luckily CDI gives you an edge that reading bare text SMART reports don't."

My point is, poo poo that says Caution is rationally to be taken as cause for worry, and therefore teagone's take is correct.

I'm pretty sure we also all agree that yellow means keep going while the gettin is good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

is there a headset thread somewhere? im looking to replace my Logitech G430s with something like the Sennheiser GSP 500's or the Logitech G633's. Is there anything better for around $200? the build quality on Sennheisers looks incredible but I think they're pretty new to the market

I've had a pair of sennheiser gaming headphones for almost 5 years now? Theyre exceptionally well built.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

txwdYu posted:

Hello! I have built a pc and encountered a problem, my motherboard is gigabyte h81m-ds2-c, pairing with an i5-4460. I have 2 kingston 8 gb ram stick, when I stick both in, pc won't boot, only when there is one ram sticked in ram slot one, it works, I don't know what causes it but I believe the second ram slot is faulty, is it just the problem of the motherboard? Or there are something else could be affecting the ram slot?

Have you alternated which stick youre trying when you just use one? Do they both work individually ?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what benchmark is that?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this is perhaps not the right thread but i'd rather ask here than somewhere i havent posted before:

i have this little tablet i use in my truck as a GPS/music thing. i have a poopy little aux cable thats made out of poop. when my car charger thing is plugged in its static-y when i play music over aux. is there an aux cable with some kind of shielding that would prevent that? i've amazon searched "shielded aux cable" and yea stuff comes up but idk if it will actually fix the problem i have

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Wanting to turn an old computer into a secondary gaming computer. It's got an older Pentium anniversary edition (socket 1150) and some Frankenstein combo of 11gb ddr3 and a gtx1060 in it right now.

Debating whether it's a better idea to just grab a 4790k or something off eBay and just call it a day or if im better off throwing some sort of coffee lake Pentium and ddr4 in there?

The reality seems to me that if I put the 4790k in there that is effectively the best the computer can be without changing the mobo and ram eventually regardless. My current desktop has an 8700k so I guess having maximum compatibility between the two is a pretty solid benefit.

I feel like writing this out effectively answered my questions, any angles im missing?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

poe meater posted:

I'm not sure where to post this, so please let me know if there is a more appropriate thread.

I'm currently using a internet/phone package from spectrum (twc) and would like to switch providers. (Maybe RCN or Verizon)

What is the best way to transfer over the same phone number if I decide to switch to a internet only plan from a different ISP?

I've worked in telecom a long time, what do you actually use the phone number for?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

poe meater posted:

My mom doesn't use a cell phone and just uses it at home. I'm thinking I'm just gonna get her a cell phone and see if I can Google voice the number.

Magic jack, amigo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have like 10 noctua fans dont they all come with adapters and Y splits in every package

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Doesnt the clevo guys basically sell a shell that you can upgrade

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Whats the deal with the cheap cheap video cards im seeing on amazon that will definitely blow up a computer? Like 1050ti for $85 lol

I don't want to buy one but i dont understand how theyre so cheap

E: wtf, this one says its not compatible with w10 lmao. What is this poo poo

Eachbid Video Game Graphics Card GTX 1050Ti GDDR5 4GB 128Bit PCI-E for NVIDIA Deforce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7B3FVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-eugBbFY1ZJSR

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

For fun im making a little gaming pc out of an old optiplex. Im at $280 out of pocket and its a complete system (if you dont count the kb/m i had kicking around)

Im guessing power will be at a premium between the 3000 series i5 and the gtx 1050 low pro im throwing in there. My question is if i throw in this little ssd i have kicking around to boot off of, will that change the power consumption to any serious degree? Going to run it with the spinner i have on there, at the same time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

emdash posted:

Is there a reliable way to get a replacement IO shield for a given (modern) motherboard? In this case a z270 ASUS model

broken motherboards are cheap on ebay so that other guy made a pretty solid suggestion imo

obviously just make sure it comes with the shield

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i just did the clone thing using macrium and it worked muy bueno

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Arent the 4th pins just for the variable speed control on those fans?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Eletriarnation posted:

If you want a (relatively) cheap workstation with a lot of memory check out this one built with used server parts, or you can build one yourself in a similar fashion. DDR3 server platforms allow you to take advantage of all the used registered ECC DDR3 out there, which is not only much cheaper than DDR4 but even cheaper than unbuffered DDR3 these days.

Just last week I threw this together as an upgrade to my work desktop:
CPU: Xeon L5640 - I had this lying around, I will probably put a couple of $35 X5670s in eventually
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 - I had this lying around too; some server LGA1366 boards need LGA2011-compatible coolers, but the 212 works with some added standoffs.
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTH-iF - $80
RAM: 6x Samsung 8GB 1333MHz ECC RDIMM - $117
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro - $100 (needs to be full eATX, for the board)
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ - $70, a while ago for a different build; used this one because the mobo needs 2 8-pin ATX12V connectors.
GPU: an old Radeon 7750 I had already; not needed if running headless

Buying 32GB of DDR4 will cost you almost as much as this whole system with 48GB (which can go up to 192GB if you want to pay for it), though you do have power and size as downsides. There was a similarly priced ATX motherboard with only 6 DIMM slots, but I figured a more spacious board would make it easier to keep things cool and the expandability could be useful.

thanks for this, this seems like a fun project

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

We can, just not in a way that's practical or looks okay because of the layout of the apartment.

We're not competitive gamers or anything and our wireless connection is good enough to stream HD video so we're fine just using Wi-Fi.

wtf do u even live for then

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

That makes sense, and suggests that motor wear is one of the major things that kills HDDs; the other is probably a sudden head crash due to impact and is more unpredictable.

The only thing is the hypothetical "20 years" figure is probably an underestimate based on modern drives (given the advertised millions of hours average before failure,) and an overestimate based on the usefulness of a drive of that age. Without trying to do some excessive research, I'm guessing that in 1998 the average consumer HDD was in the 1-10 GB range, maybe in the low tens of GB, and nowadays would be totally obsolete based on speed and capacity alone. So if there was still a drive of that vintage in running condition, it would've been replaced before dying based on the uselessness of the drive and host PC hardware.

I think the fact that I've got a lightly used 2 TB drive from 9 years ago says something about the more limited advances in HDDs and in contrast the more rapid advances in SSD technology. :shrug:

(Also, I think it's fair to guess those old drives are still probably reasonably reliable based on their limited spin-ups, time in operation, and low powered-on hours.)

In 1998 I had a dell with a 13.2gb HD and boy was I happy with my unlimited space

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

I was going to say, it definitely looked like an AIO based on the perpendicular ports, and those AIOs are basically laptop hardware in a desktop. However:

You could've stopped there, as that's a garbage CPU and not worth your time. If she didn't already have a replacement for that system I'd recommend an inexpensive laptop (acer e15 e5-575-33bm).

You should just change your username or custom title to that Acer

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I recently built a little gaming PC out of a dell SFF and used a single screw and some electrical tape to hold an SSD in place :shrug:

Every time I look at the thing I have to resist the temptation to upgrade from a GTX 1050 low pro to a 1050ti low pro

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dongattack posted:

I have a CM Storm Trooper case and the top fan has started making a awful sound and is clearly on it's last legs. I have never bought or replaced a fan before, can you guys recommend one that fits the top slot? I have no idea what to look for.

Any other pit falls i should be aware of when replacing fans?

Per CM website:

200mm x1, or 140mm x2, or 120mm x2

Those are the ones that fit your top slot(s)

I used noctua fans on my desktop and like them so far. I wanted something air cooled that ran silent when not gaming. Mission accomplished.

Your case has a fan controller so grab something with 4 pins, aka PWM fan.

Noctua NF-A20 PWM premium-quality quiet 200mm fan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071SLFBNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zIXzBb1D9BCB4

Is an example of one

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

This probably cant be answered without knowing what model you have

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

simcole posted:

Sager NP8152-S (Clevo P650RP6)

https://www.glj.io/reviews/evoc-clevo-p650rp6-g-review-gtx-10

This and other sources are saying its nvme capable. For gaming and average use you're not likely to see a benefit over a regular SATA m2 though.

I'm going to upgrade my own laptop m2 soon and will not be opting for nvme. Going to go for a 1tb sata3 from crucial probably.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Somebody is mining crypto through your machine imo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Willo567 posted:

I had a question regarding a recent upgrade I did. I recently replaced my old processor and GPU with an Intel i7 4790-K, and a EVGA Geoforce 1080 GTX. Now when I start the computer, it's a lot louder than it was before. Is this normal? For comparison's sake, I had an Intel i5 4690-K and a MSI Geoforce 760 GTX.

Jw, what did you do with the old processor? I could use that one for an old pc im refurbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Willo567 posted:

I still have it in a box; it was just replaced yesterday

Lmk if you want to sell it. I dont have PMs but ill get them if need be. Otherwise we could talk on steam. Im in USA