Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

pr0k posted:

What's a good model and price point for a used ipad? For kids playing games and wife doing recipes. Kids already have kindles, so wife probably primary user. Reading craigslist and amazon the prices seem all over the place. First-gens are still like $300 used? Really? Also I wifi only is fine/preferred. Do I need a 2 or 3 or "air" whatever that is (4?) or would a first gen handle basic web browsing and the reflex math app?

TIA

Don't, under any circumstances, buy a first - gen iPad.
They're stuck on some ridiculously ancient iOS version (5?) because Apple hamstrung the drat thing with 256mb of RAM. This results in many apps not being able to run, constant browser crashes and other fuckery.

My GF and my parents each have one and it's too bad about the RAM, 'cause otherwise they still look/work great. A second- gen example is a decent purchase on the used market, but I wouldn't pay more than about $250 for one, and it would have to be a cream puff to be worth even that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DNova posted:

I have some experience with extremely lovely USB to SATA/PATA bridges, and this sounds like exactly that to me.

Same here. I'd buy another enclosure before condemning the hard drives.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Oops, never mind.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 29, 2014

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

dog nougat posted:

I need a recommendation for a preferably free program that'll allow me to migrate the files to my Windows drive.

I use TransMac, it's a bit primitive, but it does what you're looking for. It's not free, but there's a 15-day full-featured trial available for download.

www.acutesystems.com

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Comic posted:

Need to buy an enclosure for a hard drive from a laptop that can't boot anymore, due to bluescreening during windows restore when I try to fix it. Yadda yadda I want my files.

I can't tell if Protronix USB 3.0 Horizontal SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5/3.5-Inch HDD and SSD is overkill or not, since I don't intend to really be using it as an external (I already have one) it seems handy to have something if I ever need to do something like this again.

Otherwise I was just going to go with Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free (FE2001)

I have Prime and $5 of amazon credit so I'm aiming to get whatever there.

Both of them should be fine, the first one might be worth the extra few dollars if you fool around with HD's in general - I keep one sitting on my tower and it's crazy-convenient to plop a hard drive in it and copy files/image/back up.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

McGlockenshire posted:

There are also things like this IDE-to-mSATA adapter, which would allow you to use any standard mSATA drive instead. Just don't expect actual SSD / flash transfer speeds out of things like this. The IDE interface itself is going to be a bottleneck.

That's the way I did it on my old Dell laptop - got a 240 gig mSATA 840 Pro and an adaptor, then made a 160 gig partition and left the rest free space.
It works really well - compared to the old 4200rpm 40gig drive, it's rocketship fast, even considering the IDE bottleneck.

Btw, I use this laptop for some serial port hardware that doesn't like USB adapters - that's why I did it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, just use a regular USB AC adaptor, like the kind you charge cell phones with.

The problem with enclosures is that the USB 2.0 standard limits power to 500ma, which isn't -quite- enough to run some hard drives, so most of them double up on USB plugs. That said, many times I've been able to run an external on one port, and SSD's take less power than HD's, so you might be able to just use the one plug.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

50hz posted:

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway because I don't have experience with Memtest.

I've been having bsod problems on my machine, a 4 year old install recently updated to windows 10. It's been crashing with MEMORY MANAGEMENT and two other codes that I can't remember. I read that MEMORY MANAGEMENT might be because of bad RAM so I downloaded memtest and made the bootable usb and let it do its default thing. It's now at 58% and has apparently thrown 82844 errors. This seems like rather a lot to me; is the expected value really 0, or have I made a mistake in my testing somewhere? (Or is my ram hosed and I need new ram)

edit: No amount of changing the target clock speed , XMP or no XMP, can change the fact that huge red numbers appear immediately in memtest. I am going on the premise that poo poo is just fubar and order new ram.

Your RAM has gone to the great silicon wafer in the sky, time for some new stuff. Last time I ran Memtest, I had exactly 0 errors, and I ran it four times.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Moola posted:

Ok cheers I'll take your word for it

the puzzling thing is why the guy that had this before felt the need to stick a little dinky fan on there :confused:

Those Nvidia chipsets had a high failure rate after a few years, probably due to their high operating temperature, so that dinky little fan might be the only reason it's still alive and kicking. I put one on my NAS box's chipset because under heavy gig-E file transfers it would get scorching hot and lose the NIC until a reboot. It's been working fine since.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Davoren posted:

Can anyone recommend an adapter to turn an old ide drive into an external? I had one ages ago that had an unreliable power supply, and all the ones I'm looking at now have reviews that make the power supplies sound downright dangerous.

I have run one of these for years 24/7 on my WHS box as a backup device, and it's both very well made and seems to have a beefy power supply with good quality cabling. It's not cheap, though.

Vantec NexStar 3 3.5" IDE to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure (Midnight Blue) - Model NST-360U2-BL http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-145-132

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Breetai posted:

Now that's something I've never seen before. Hmm. The building is fairly old and I'm not sure as to the quality of the wiring - would that have an effect?

My house is old with OG wiring. well as being lath-n-plaster, so it's like a worst-case scenario for non-wired network speed. Anything that's not-line-of-sight has terrible and unreliable throughput, no matter whether it's G, N, or AC.
Powerline adapters work reliably even with the old wiring, but the speed ends up much lower than the rating. The 300Mb/sec setup I have will run -stably- at about 20Mb/sec, which is enough for my HTPC to to pull compressed files from my NAS and give me HD video-watching ability that doesn't flake out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Femtosecond posted:

Why is my PC so drat loud?

In addition to what others have said, I usually open the case and set it next to me while doing my usual work/play-load, in order to specifically ID which fan is bugging me.

Sometimes you end up screwing around with the HS fan and it ends up being a GPU or case fan that's making the worst racket.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Haledjian posted:

Is this normal behavior for a CPU fan on startup? (the stop/start)

I just replaced the motherboard because the CPU fan wasn't spinning up at all half the time, so I'm not sure if it's fixed or if this is a sign that I'm going to keep having problems.

Yep, the more modern Intel mobo/processors have done this for awhile.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I would think a 600watt PS would have plenty of headroom when paired with a 970 and 4690K. Doesn't that combo draw ~450watts max?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Geoj posted:

Your case uses a 140x25mm rear fan. While not the most common fan size it is readily available from sites like Newegg or Amazon, or if you have a Microcenter store near you they carry several in that size.

Fry's has 'em too, if he's near one.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Rookoo posted:

Does a CPU become less able to overclock with age, or is it just determined by chance?

I bought a 6600k a couple weeks ago and have no real need to overclock it right now, however, I used to use a different machine with a 3570k and decided to overclock it a couple of years into using it, and it wouldn't OC for poo poo (Not temperature related)

There are a lot of variables - mobo is a big one, a lot of it is pure luck, and some generations of CPU's just don't overclock as well as others. Running a CPU overclocked and overvolted can eventually lead to electromigration that can lower the ability of the chip to overclock, but mild overclocks that don't require voltage bumps generally don't hurt the chip.

My experience is that the 2500K overclocked much more easily than the 3570K, but a fair number of Ivy i5's did OK as well. I got 4.4 on my 2500K with just a tiny voltage bump(.05v), while my 3570K needed .1v and only got to 4.3. I've seen posts on this forum by folks that couldn't get past 4.0 stable, so it's not called 'the silicon lottery' for nothing.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

goodness posted:

My Ethernet stopped working randomly and here is where I'm at/what I've done:

(P67 motherboard that was recommended 3-4 years back to have with the i52500k. Couldn't find any Windows 10 drivers for it. I am overclocked to 4.3 or 4.5)

Reboot
Reinstall Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
There is no other LAN controller under Network and no Other Devices category
Tried 2 Ethernet cables
Reset Router and Modem
Solid orange light with a slowly blinking yellow/green light on Ethernet Port
Wifi
Network Connection shows it's connected and says Internet access

But my computer isn't actually connected to the Internet.

First thing I'd do is boot from a Linux CD/DVD and see if you get Internet. If you do, Windows has hosed itself and you may need to reinstall, systemfilecheck, and/or go back to an earlier time with System Restore.

If it's hosed under Linux, get a PCI or USB network adaptor and turn off your Realtek one in the BIOS.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

A lot of depends on how terrible your motherboard sound design is. Some mobos are pretty good and adding a discrete sound card is barely/unnoticeable, others suck rear end and even a non-audiophile can hear the difference.

I run an old SB X-fi Platinum because I use all the I/O's, but I can't hear much difference between it and the onboard Realtek. However, on my old P67 ASUS board, there was a big difference in sound, the onboard(also Realtek) had hum and hiss under certain workloads.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

codo27 posted:

I know the answer to this already but hoping someone can pull some magic answer out of their rear end. Cousin's hard drive is on the fritz, says at one point he managed to get it up and start dragging files but it stopped, I plugged it into the hot swap port on top of my tower and eventually a couple drives appeared but are inaccessible, telling me to scan them. Said restart PC to fix errors, restart hangs forever if I dont unplug it, same thing happened on his computer. Worst of all, hearing clicks in it. Actually worst of all, has important photos on the drive but I guess they are all down the drain now. Anything I might try to see if I can recover any of it? I did have a drive exactly like it, same size and all a while back that I was able to recover most of the data but I dont think it had the dreaded click of death.

Try freezing it. I've had a couple of dying, clicking, hard drives that I was able to pull data off of after an overnight stay in the freezer. I put 'em in plastic bags to minimize condensation.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I'd try plugging a machine directly into your cable/DSL modem and see if your high-ping problems persist.*

The age of the router shouldn't really matter for gaming - until recently, I used an ancient WRT-54G router from like 2001 and it didn't seem to hinder my ping at all, the only thing I noticed is that multiple torrents would bog the poor thing down and eventually it would freeze and need a reboot.

*make sure you're firewalled properly and don't do this anymore than you have to, plugging a desktop directly into the 'net is a security no-no.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Alereon posted:

The issue is that throughput is extremely poor on old routers. This means that gaming itself is fine, but you won't be able to use the server browser or download resources with any reasonable speed because the router will poo poo itself. If you have a 100mbps+ Internet connection it really makes a lot of sense to have a decent Wireless-AC router so you're not bottlenecking your performance at your router.

Yeah, I really noticed the improvement in server browsing speed when I went to the new router.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Chuu posted:

What I'm specifically trying to do is prevent a surge on a powerline adapter for wrecking havok. I assume I cannot just plug a powerline adapter into my surge protector have have it work. If that is false -- please let me know.

Yeah, power line adapters won't work if plugged into surge protectors - I've tried.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I thought the extra pins in USB3.0 made it so you -have- to use the normal thick connectors?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I don't know about him, but I've had good luck using SATA III RAID cards but not in SATA mode for my NAS. Marvell chipsets seemed to be better than Jmicron or Asmedia, but my testing was quick-n-dirty(ATTO and Crystaldisk).

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

apropos man posted:

Does anyone else place the CPU into the socket and then give it a little 1mm lateral wiggle to make sure it's seated before closing the clasp?

Am I alone in being a little wiggler??

Nope, I'm a wiggler as well, although I don't think there's 1mm of slop in the socket, maybe .5mm. Crossing my fingers, but I've never hosed up an LGA socket yet.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is it possible to delete the old applications partition, then expand the windows partition so it occupies the whole disk? I'm not sure that's something I can safely do using Windows Disk Manager while Windows is running, so do I need to use a bootable partition manager to do that?

Yeah, you can do that with Disk Manager while Windows is running, I've done it several times myself.

I'd make sure I had a backup if the Windows partition had something critical on it, in case of a power/hardware failure in the middle of the operation.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I had it work once, it allowed me to pull about 200gig off of a Seagate 500gb HD. I'm guessing a controller chip was bad and the drive would just...disappear(from the bios) after it was running for awhile. No scary noises or clicks-of-death, just nothing. Freezing allowed me enough time to pull the data off if it before it heated up and crapped out.

I now have a triple-redundancy backup system, I learned my lesson with that escapade.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Modern powerline adaptors work pretty well compared to how lovely they were when they first came out.

After loving around endlessly with wifi bands, routers and external antennas, I picked up a couple powerline adaptors for $60 and even with lovely old-house wiring I get ~50mb/sec. Which doesn't sound great, but it's a rock-solid connection - no hiccups, dropped connections or speed variances.

gently caress trying to use wifi in old lathe-n-plaster homes unless you have line-of-sight.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

That sort of thing went out of style because today's cpus aren't really much faster than they were in 2011, but the motherboard features are significantly enhanced.

If you were somehow able to put a 7600K into, say, a P67 board, you'd only gain about 25% more CPU grunt, at max. But you wouldn't have DD4, native USB3, m2 slots, pci-e gen 3, or all 6 SATA ports running at SATA III speeds.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

AFAIK, the batteries in all UPS's are all technically lead-acid, but they use a glass-mat design and don't have actual liquid electrolyte sloshing around - that's why the batteries can be mounted sideways and whatnot.

You shouldn't ever smell any hydrogen sulfide smell with a glass mat battery, the electrolyte is held in the mat sort of like the way juice is held in an orange - in a zillion tiny compartments. Part of my job involves disassembling ancient decommissioned UPS's and sending the actual batteries to a battery recycling place along with our other auto/truck/forklift batteries.

I've dealt with huge UPS's so hosed up that twenty or thirty batteries will be swelled up to the point where they're impossible to remove except to pound crowbars through the plastic cases and pry the broken batteries out, and the shattered cells -still- don't leak any electrolyte out or have any smell. If end users are smelling hydrogen sulfide gas, there's serious issues somewhere.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Powerline adaptors used to suck hard, but I've had good experiences with newer ones, even over old house wiring. I'm currently using TP-Link 500mb/s rated adaptors, and getting about 8MB/sec, so around 1/6th the theoretical throughput, but it's rock-solid in terms of stability and packet loss. I just took 'em out of the box, plugged 'em in, and haven't touched them in two years.

Edit: Fishmech, it really depends if he's in an old house or not. If the walls are lath and plaster, wifi(any type) absolutely sucks if it's not LoS.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, the only thing that ever worked exceptionally well for me to digitize VHS tapes was a Pinnacle FireWire breakout box, but it was like 150$ The cheap USB ones are tolerable if you don't have a zillion hours of tape to digitize.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

This reminds me that modular desktop PSUs have a lovely design attribute where the cables are often physically interchangeable between brands, but the pins are connected differently. Lots of stories of people frying all their equipment because they bought a new PSU and thought they could swap it in without replacing the cables.

I almost did this on my last build, thank Christ at the last minute I said to myself ‘I’d better test this’ and pulled out my old DVOM. I’d bought a used PS off of SA-Mart and it didn’t come with a couple of the modular cables, so I found some in my box-o-wires.

Red_Fred posted:

I just bought a new 2 Tb platter HDD to replace my ancient (7 years!) 1 Tb drive, my main drive is an SSD. What’s the easiest way to clone the old drive onto the new drive? Ideally it would just appear as if it was the old drive but with the extra space.

It doesn’t have Windows installed on it but it has some systems links most likely that I don’t want to have to tidy up if I don’t have to.

Macrium Reflect Free works well and is easy to use.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

To run that processor(which is an Ivy Bridge E) you need an X79 motherboard, and those are either *very* expensive used, or made new by no-name Chinese companies with dubious engineering and sold on eBay.

I’d probably pass on it myself, it’s only four cores so you could build a new Ryzen or i3 system that would be much faster, use less power and be compatible with the latest technology for the same cost as a used decent-quality motherboard.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I’ve found that theoretically you should be able to attach a 2.5” pocket-size external HD to every USB port without issue, but under RL conditions it can get really dicey after two of them unless you use a powered hub. This varies, of course, dependent on motherboard, laptop/desktop, etc.

Also, USB3 has a higher rated wattage output and seems much more reliable than USB2 in term of providing enough power without weird glitches.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

For the relatively low cost of a UPS that’s suitable to run my NAS, it seems like a no-brainer - shuts my unit off gracefully, tells me how many watts I’m using, does power conditioning and surge protection for $120? I’m in.

I’ve used one for like eight years, replaced the batteries twice, and it’s kept my NAS up during quick power transients innumerable times.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Lambert posted:

Powerline is really terrible; I'd only use it as a last resort, when WiFi isn't any better.

The older stuff was generally pretty bad, but the newer gig adaptors work much better. I had to use them in my house because it’s old and the walls are lathe-n-plaster, and they work pretty well, even using the old house wiring.

Speed is only about 25% of the advertised maximum, but the connection is rock-solid as far as reliability goes., and 25% of 1200mb/s is still fine.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is perfect, thank you!

Edit: am I gonna gently caress this thing up if I plug a USB hub into the switch? Most of these only have 2 USB ports and I have a USB mouse, keyboard, and headset that I currently have hooked into a USB hub.

No, I use usb hubs plugged into KVM’s in several setups. Just make sure you use a powered hub if you’re using several power-hungry USB components.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Appropriate to this thread, I just had to send back an old 3960X chip I bought on fleabay for being DOA, it wouldn’t boot on either of my two X79 motherboards. I’m pretty sure it was the first bad processor I’ve ever run into in 20+ years of system building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I have a question that perhaps this thread can answer - I’m updating a couple of my Hacks to High Sierra and am wondering what the best used video card is in terms of compatibility. I have been using Nvidia, but since the web drivers aren’t being refreshed anymore(and they always seem a bit janky), I’m looking at AMD.

I’d like to spend about $100-$150 for each card, and my primary objective is to keep the install as vanilla as possible, with OOB compatibility being preferred. I’ve been looking at RX480/580 8gb cards - are there any particular models that have issues or any models THAT JUST WORK? Or should I be looking at a different card?

Any advice is appreciated.