Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I usually buy a few from Monoprice since they're dirt cheap and I can always toss spares in my car or tool bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
What PC (or motherboard, if it's a custom built)? I've seen some that have features in the BIOS that allow charging via some USB ports while the PC is off.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Grawl posted:

It's this PC (Dutch site, sorry).

I'm pretty sure that's what it is then. I have an older Gigabyte motherboard (X58 chipset) that supports that feature. I think it's called Charge ON/OFF. I looked up the manual for your board, but didn't see anything that mentioned how to turn that feature off (not sure if you want to disable it or not).

I think there may be a piece of software from their website that you can download to enable/disable it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

johnny sack posted:

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of plugging in the hard drive directly to a router although I am almost positive my router doesn't have a USB port. Would this same thing work using a CAT 5?

I haven't formatted a hard drive in many years. Is it as simple as plugging it into my Windows PC and saying "I want (this portion) NTFS" and then doing the same thing on the Mac saying "I want (this other portion) HFS+"?

If you have a good recommendation for an external drive that would easily do this, I'm all ears. I just haven't done this sort of thing ever and haven't followed the technological changes at all.

That's just a simple little NAS which you would plug in to your switch and access through a web interface for the initial setup (You would map it as a network drive to actually store/retrieve files). I have an older version (NAS 110) and it's slow as poo poo (12MB/s write speeds). Mine doesn't give an option for the file system (I'm assuming it's Linux based, so probably some version of ext), but I can access it with my Windows desktop, my Macbook and Android phone.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I'm hoping that someone can answer this.

Is there an IP KVM that's under $1k USD and isn't complete poo poo? I've used a few and they're all pretty annoying thus far. The Dell 2161DS has the dual cursor issue (although that's not too bad. I can easily live with it.). But, others I've used not only have that issue, but quite a few others. The Startech I'm currently using doesn't seem to like common keyboard shortcuts (CTRL + C, CTRL + V etc) as all too often, it seems to think that you're still holding down the CTRL key when you're clearly not. The video on it is terrible as well. It's easily the slowest screen redraw I've seen.

I'd like one that has a minimum of 4 ports but would prefer 8 ports.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Yeah, it should work without issue. I did just that in a small form factor Optiplex 960 that I was re-purposing for a computer-on-wheels at work. Works much better than the crappy USB WiFi adapter it replaced.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Farchanter posted:

If this is the wrong thread I'm really sorry,.

I got an Intel Edison for Christmas, but I'm not really sure how to even get started with it. Is there a tutorial to learn about it from the ground up?

Thanks!

In addition to what others posted, I'm pretty sure there's stuff on Youtube that, at the very least could give you some ideas on what you could do with it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Martytoof posted:

Is there any kind of gadget that will turn a wired USB peripheral into a wireless USB peripheral? So:

[ PC USB PORT ] -> USB Cable -> [ Gizmo ] ~ ~ ~ Wireless ~ ~ ~ [ Gizmo other end ] <- USB Cable <- [ USB Peripheral ]

Let's just say for argument's sake that I'm not interested in buying a new wireless keyboard and I'd like to use my expensive USB wired keyboard "wirelessly", for example. Actually, this example is exactly what my scenario is. I have a nice expensive mechanical keyboard and my PC is inconveniently far from my desk, to the point where I managed to stretch an HDMI cable but any other cables I pull can't really be hidden well. I have a wireless mouse and that's fine, but if I wanted to convert my wired keyboard to wireless am I completely SOL? Since this is a keyboard I don't need it to be high bitrate or anything.

Google searching "USB wireless" is pretty useless for exactly the reason you think it might be.

Don't know how good they are, but I saw this on Massdrop and it sounds like what you're describing.

http://handheldsci.com/kb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Geemer posted:

There's USB 2 computer linking cables for that purpose, but they probably suck harder than flash drives or external hard drives.

I have one from Monoprice that works pretty good. I've successfully transferred files between a Win 8.1 and OSX (Yosemite? Whatever the most current version is.) about a month ago.