Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cisco privilege posted:

I'd avoid external WD drives since the pins on the drives don't allow for recovery if the enclosure itself dies
This only applies to the 2.5" mobile drives, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't know about every MyBook since the models change regularly. The MyBook I use the drives aren't encrypted, and I've actually swapped and upgraded the drives in the enclosure several times.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did your SATA settings change from AHCI to IDE?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If it's 10 years old I wouldn't even check: just replace it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smdh if you don't convert hex to dec in your head

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheQat posted:

what's the current hotness in Motorola cable modems? I have an SB6120 but I just learned this morning that it now seems to be a bottleneck. SB6180 or 6141? or does it matter?
6141. 6183 is the new hotness but still very hard to find.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 90-degree end goes to the drive, not the motherboard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I'm looking at one right now that has the bend on both ends. It's stupid.
Throw that cable in the trash.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do you have a USB keyboard to plug into it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Yes, but I unplugged it to move to the living room, and that's when the issue started. Does it need that to stay plugged?
No it doesn't need to stay plugged in, but that would help us determine if it's a problem that's exclusive to the built-in keyboard. The symptoms you're describing sound very much like a water-damaged laptop keyboard to me, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions prematurely.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The bathroom has the only grounded outlet or the only GFCI outlet? If the place really is that old, then I'm willing to believe the former. I just want to be clear on what we're talking about.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

is there a relatively large USB hub goons recommend?
Not really, no.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Trump posted:

Would the Seagate Archive HDD 8 TB be suitable for storing media and torrenting from? It seems to be the best bang for the buck storage-wise.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

An Archive drive is not meant for general purpose storage. It's a data center drive (specifically cold storage) that uses drive-managed SMR and can result in unpredictable performance characteristics in other environments.
I've not tested it (we just got about 20 8TB Archives in our lab) but torrenting seems like a fairly undesirable workload for drive-managed SMR.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hatter106 posted:

What's a dependable brand of traditional hard drives? I want to get one to compliment my SSD.
HGST these days, but they're all relatively dependable. There are specific models that have proven more problematic than others (Thailand flood-era Seagate 3TBs come to mind) but you're generally safe buying just about anything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does this drive use the partial overlapping write technique that makes modifying or rewriting data take twice as long?
WD (excluding the HGST subsidiary) is not shipping a shingled drive yet, as far as I know.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm not sure I saw a thread and not sure if it goes in the PC thread, but I'm looking for any good recommendations for modems and modems/routers.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fishmech posted:

There are only 3 actual hard drive manufacturers left: Seagate, Toshiba, and Western Digital. They have identical long term performance and reliability characteristics. And any other brands are brands of those three, or are reselling drives from those three.
Not technically true on the WD/HGST thing. They're still distinct products at the moment. Despite WD buying HGST like 3 years ago, China only recently lifted the "hold separate" restrictions and they've begun actually merging. At the moment I'd (and Backblaze) would say HGST still makes a better product. They'll actually start cross-branding drives soon, though, no doubt.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 6, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did you initialize/format the new drive or is it straight out of the box? You need to create a volume on it first in Disk Management.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Longshot on it helping anything, but is there a BIOS update available?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rusty posted:

I flashed it and it started, screen went blank and now it doesn't post. So clearly broken out of nowhere. Crazy.
:rip:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What's the word on SATA Blu-ray players these days
Pretty sure the word is :lol: when discussing physical media in TYOOL 2016.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh then you missed the part when he was posting in YOSPOS. Those were fun days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do we still like Eneloop after the brand was sold to Panasonic and the manufacturing/technology sold to Fujitsu? Are Panasonic Eneloops still the way to go or are Fujitsu's rechargeables now interesting?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Camera flashes are the only devices I've used AA or AAA batteries for in probably the last 10 years, so that's about all I care about.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

No drives use 3.3v (actually, maybe some 1.8"), but you should be worried, there's a mounting pile of evidence that the fully moulded type of SATA connector from cheap sources (poor quality control, lack of gold plating] are likely a hazard waiting to occur, years down the line.

Check this video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc
We had about a hundred go up in smoke in our lab. I wish I knew who the supplier was on those.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I found a picture of the motherboard for that machine, and the CPU is socketed so in theory any CPU in the same family with a similar TDP should be fine. HalloKitty is right though: it's likely the graphics chip that'll hold you back.

Just get a PS4 at that point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You'll find plenty of discussion about them in this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786165

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Friendly reminder: when swapping modular power supplies, swap the cables too unless you're absolutely sure they're compatible. A coworker brought in his dead PC to fiddle with and try swapping the power supply. Unfortunately, he swapped a Corsair with a Thermaltake and didn't change out the modular cables despite the printing on the cables that said something like "Corsair TX series only."

Next thing I knew there was magic blue smoke billowing out of his PC. His two HDDs and SSD were completely cooked, but it looks like the rest survived. We're going to try PCB swaps on the hard drives today to see if we can get the data off, at least.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you decide to go that route, I’ve got a set of these Netgear powerline adapters that I’ll sell you for cheap (like $20 shipped) since I’m moving and never really used them. Let me know and I’ll make a thread in SA-Mart so everything is on the up and up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I’ve dropped a lot of hard drives in my day, and as long as they weren’t powered on at the time they’re generally fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Qubee posted:

I want to desperately update my PC because I'm using a lovely mobo and RAM combination from 2012 or something, and I'm in my final year of uni and use some CPU / RAM intensive software for personal projects, and I prefer working from home instead of the uni computers.
Can you spin up AWS instances? That's the easiest solution for me when I need a box with >24 cores and >64GB RAM. Actually buying the hardware for myself would be foolish, and reserving time on campus clusters can be a pain.

Failing that, you could always look at a Ryzen build if your projects scale well across cores.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get a good amount of instance time with MS Dreamspark on Azure stuff, or maybe AWS has .edu discounts as well.
I think AWS gives you $100 of credit per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo there's a thing I haven't thought about in like 15 years.