Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I upgraded my system from a 5600X to a 7800X3D and kept the Noctua NH-U12S cooler I had previously, because it should still be plenty of cooling especially since I'm not overclocking.

I've noticed my fans running a lot more than with my previous system, and the CPU also running hotter than previously. Not monstrously so, it sits at around 53 in normal desktop use and it's topped off at 89 degrees celsius during games, but still a bit hotter than before.

(the top fan is a 120mm Noctua that used to be behind the CPU venting out the top, but my new PSU's motherboard cables are so inflexible I can't fit the cooler back there again, so I put it before the CPU cooler to draw in cool air until I can replace it with a smaller exhaust fan that fits back there)

Some people say this is normal, and AM5 CPUs just are designed to run hotter than AM4 CPUs, but people on the Internet say a lot of poo poo that isn't true. Is this? Also, should I look at undervolting to bring the temps down or just roll with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah that was a good call. Turns out the cooler screws were actually quite loose. I could've sworn I tightened them all the way when I installed it, but I got out my big boy screwdriver this time instead of the small iFixit one I previously used, and got a good few rotations out of both screws before they actually felt tight.

Now we're at 43 degrees celsius on the desktop with a bunch of normal desktop stuff running, and I guess next it's time to find a case fan to exhaust upwards from behind the CPU cooler.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LRADIKAL posted:

You do want to have positive pressure in your case. Do you have any more front fan slots or bottom ones?

I've got two 140mm fans sucking in air from the front, and there's no more room for fans in the front. On the bottom I think it's just the intake vent for the PSU, and no fan slots. I have two fan mounts at the top (one of which is currently in use), and then one exhaust fan at the back. The Phanteks P400S is what I'm working with here.

E: 140mm fans, not 120mm fans.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 2, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LRADIKAL posted:

I would probably just try with the 3 fans, two in front one in back.

Yeah, simplicity might not be a bad idea.

I went out today to get a beQuiet! 140mm fan and an Arctic 120mm to replace the Phanteks 120mm exhaust in the rear, and the original Phanteks 120mm that was still left in the front. Not only do the new fans move more air, they are significantly quieter.

I'll monitor the situation and see if I need / want any more fans at the top.