Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I'm looking to sell some non-SSD hard drives and need to make sure everything is removed before giving to a stranger, years back I used DBAN but as each drive took 1-2 days to run multiple passes plus the fact I could not use my computer during this time I'd like a better option; if available.

Running Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

A single zero-fill pass will get past the limits of any demonstrated capability to recover from drives. You can do that with DBAN, or the useful Windows tool CCleaner also has a zero-fill drive wiper that would allow you to multitask.
I have the free version of CCleaner, will that suffice?

Thanks

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

What do people here recommend for checking the health/sectors for errors of personal hard drives? I want to see if I should replace any of my hard drives due to failure.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I just opened it, I was expecting a scan but it was instant. All of my drives are showing good except my WD 3TB green which has Caution [C6] Uncorrectable sector count: 1. I guess I'll replace that disk, is it fine to copy files from that drive over to another drive or will that corrupt the other drive?

Secondly, is there an option within Windows 7 to do a multipass wipe/format to clear old drives before throwing away and/or selling?