Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Does a USB 3.0 slot require a USB 3.0 extension cable to operate at full speed? I've got a few generic (unlabeled) extension cables, so I'm hoping I can use them instead of buying a 3.0-specific cable.

There are two 3.0 slots on the back of my PC and none in the front, which is why I need the extension. Trying to google this quesiton only brings up places to buy a 3.0-specific cable.

Thanks!

Edit-- I'm dumb, and didn't read the thread. The last few posts on page 3 answered this, there are extra pins on 3.0 that wouldn't be there on an older extension cable.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So today at work I came across a CAD lab with workstations that had two Quadro cards, but only one monitor. The second card has no displays connected. It came from Dell this way. Can a computer utilize a graphics card's processing power or VRAM without being connected?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hm. I guess I didn't realize you could SLI without a bridge like the olden days. Thanks!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You should be good to go unless you're locked out of the bios or something

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

It's probably fine but maybe not do it again, I guess?

This. The cloth helped a bunch I'm sure

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

I think my old GPU is done for, it seems to be outputting video, but the only at a tiny resolution, and the image is all hosed up with green lines. Not the end of the world, but I'm hoping I can just switch over to my Intel integrated graphics for now The trouble is, I'm having a problem getting into my UEFI setup right now. If I just physically disconnect the GPU, and switch the DVI cable over to the motherboard output and boot, should the computer default to integrated graphics?

That's going to be a case-by-case basis depending on motherboard, but generally yes if you don't have a GPU in the PCIe slot, your onboard should display by default

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1300-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07P6N2TZH/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hard to say for sure, but a new power supply should be less than $20-- worth a shot to replace it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

This seems to be what I need. However, it's telling me:

"Error: Could not load driver" for all functions. Can't find usable information about this on the web. Do you know what the program expects me to do?

Uninstall / reinstall, something went wrong I think. Unless you don't have your motherboard chipset drivers installed? But I'm sure you do

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You are probably right about the Mobo headed downhill. The USB issues would be that or power supply.. How old is your PSU?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

There's a mouse thread, maybe they'll know of a place? mouse problems suck

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Can a amateur hobbyist reproduce these ultra small form factor PCs cheaply or will it always be a matter of buying them pre-assembled? Is there any possibility of attaching a graphics card to it?

I have a micro-ATX that I would love to replace with something less cumbersome as a backup PC but trying to make a SFF PC always ended up costing a lot.

You'll never get one that small that's not proprietary. Sometimes Dell is able to fit a laptop-version of a graphics card into that form factor. You could also look at an upgraded NUC like Hades Canyon

You could build a Mini ITX system but the miniaturized components come at a steep cost, plus you've got to be a lot more aware about cooling and cable management.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

No problem just hooking them in loose if you have the cables. Don't move them around while powered

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The built in Backup app is decent enough, or you could use Veeam (free) for more granular control

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

How much extra money? That's the only difference? Do you have a Wifi6 router?

If you plan to use the wifi it's a good upgrade, you could get an M.2 or PCIe card for $30-60 though

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

1,000% worth it. Mostly any brand is fine, Western Digital Blue are affordable and decent enough quality

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've used DriveSavers in the past, similar no-recovery no-charge policy. Every scenario is different, but they wanted to charge close to $2k for a single desktop drive and we didn't go for it. A few years ago I sent them a hosed 6-disk RAID 0, from which they were able to recover all 2TB of data for a handy $7k.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Some motherboards will disable the onboard port if there's a GPU installed. Also, you could have an HDMI port on your mobo but not the right processor to run it. Are you for sure plugging into the graphics card port?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

quote != edit

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

E: oops, misread

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sab669 posted:

There isn't enough space, I can see part of it smacking against the black plastic.

Put a bit of force into it, I bet it'll pop right on. Might be a PITA to get off again so make sure your thermal paste is applied, but that gap looks big enough

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Steam Link hardware is good and cheap, especially hard wired ethernet. Otherwise you can hook up a computer and stream to that if you sign into Steam on both.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got two Sabrent docking stations and they work great. Looks like anything you linked should be a good choice.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Can you just do the Scan for New Hardware option in device manager? That works if you've ejected from the system tray, not sure about the WD software

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Pick up a copy of DisplayFusion (like $30 for a lifetime license IIRC), it's wallpaper manager lets you do that: https://www.displayfusion.com/

2nd this, I've been using it nearly 15 years. It does exactly what you want

CloFan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 2, 2022

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

If it’s only a little asleep,

lol

Try fiddling with the bios sleep options, like disable deep sleep or there may be one about allowing those devices to wake it.

Although it almost sounds like it crashes while going into hibernation or something

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

lmao i've got two of them, just haven't dug 'em out to check yet. I think it's normal if you have a restrictive blower tip on

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Trip report: it's normal!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:confused:

Chilled Milk posted:

datavac blower duster thing

e: OK to be fair there are a lot more versions of this than I thought. The ED-500 is the one goons always recommend though and more likely than not the one they have

https://metrovac.com/collections/electronics-it

CloFan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 13, 2022

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

FakePoet posted:

I want to get a mic arm that will work for a Blue Yeti, but also for something else if I ever decide to upgrade in the future.

There's nothing special about the Yeti threaded hole, it's standard and most mounts should fit it. I bet your desk will be fine with a clamp-on, people hang heavy rear end monitors on 1/2" all day

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yep that'd be a fine solution. I don't think it will matter much if it's plugged into the wall vs an extension cord / power strip. When setting it up look for Bridge mode

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Do you have the Armory Crate app installed and is it fully up to date? Same with MyASUS. Those two handle the iGPU/dGPU handoff along with a lot of other power and device management stuff

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Windows 10 has an annoying bug with my Surface where it will do what you describe, only it's not actually frozen. The monitors wake up and the lock screen shows ( with accurate time that updates), but nothing I can do will make the lock screen go away. You can click or type whatever and nothing. After a minute or two it will finally work and unlock/ allow me to log in.

Might not be the same bug you are experiencing.. when it happens to me the mouse always works to move it around, it's just clicking does nothing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Something definitely sounds fucky, it shouldn't swap GPUs without being sent that command from either Armory Crate or the OS. Is your bios up to date? There's a dedicated subreddit for the g14 and g15 that might have more suggestions specific to your computer

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have two of the m.2 Anker enclosures that are $30, both have shown good performance. Nothing wrong with Startech usually though

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Did you try to boot it without the wifi card installed?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Qubee posted:

Ever since I bought my monitor back in 2018, it's always had a weird issue. Sometimes when I boot up my PC, the monitor takes a sliver of screen from the middle and puts it to the far left of the monitor. I notice it if I move my mouse to the exact point where the middle has been taken out, I'll see my pointer become short and squat and the bit that's missing will be on the left.

It's always been a quick fix by turning off the monitor then turning it back on again. Does anyone know why it has been doing this since day 1? Is it faulty? Obviously it's too late for me to do anything about now, but it is slightly annoying having to turn it off and on again.

My dell high-refresh gsync monitor does the exact same thing. I noticed the line out of the middle but never looked at the sides, and sure enough the line of pixels is over there on the right when it happened today. Interesting how this issue crosses brands, I wonder what the commonality is or if it's a software bug.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So for a NUC like that, if you plug it into PCIe does that interact with the host computer at all of does it just draw power from that port? I've never looked up the use case for that form factor

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

what a bleak place the internet has become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dell AC511 is an okay option. It gets plenty loud although compromises on sound quality due to the form factor