Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay. I've got no idea where to post this but I figure this thread is probably the best place around these parts. It's a hardware question but not a computer question.

I bought a VCR to watch some old family videos a little while back. Haven't used one in about a decade and a half so I'm a little confused by a nuance of the hardware. My parents would always film something, turn the camera off, fast forward across some blank tape, then record more. Unfortunately, my cheap little junk store VCR seems to turn off as soon as it detects blank tape. I can try to power through by holding down the fast-forward button but it doesn't always seem to work.

Is this just because the VCR is a POS and I need to buy a decent one, or is there some kind of setting I don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I agree. I thought it was weird. Could be an issue with it being an old used VCR with some run-down components inside. Sounds like a new one is probably the way to go...

Volguus posted:

You can, if you want to, digitize those movies. There probably are USB capture cards that can help you and let you record from the VCR on the computer. It'll be a bit of work, but if you back those movies up you won't lose them (which will happen for sure with the tapes). About VCR settings I haven't touched one in 20 years :).

That's my plan, but with a lot of family videos I'm trying to determine which ones are worth digitizing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've got a Roku TV and I loathe ads. With all this business about them forcing me to agree to non-arbitration terms and potentially launching a service to put ads over paused content, I'm looking to future-proof my setup against this tomfoolery by disconnecting my TV from the internet and using a third-party device. I typically just Chromecast from my phone to the TV rather than using the native apps directly, and prefer that more svelte experience over having to navigate menus via a remote. I have an ancient Gen 2 Chromecast attached to the TV, too, but it shudders too much with any YouTube content over 30fps and is occasionally inconsistent with other apps.

What are my options? I'm attracted to the idea of getting a previous-gen Chromecast Ultra since I like the minimalist form factor of the older Chromecast, but since they're not being made anymore it looks like I have to take a gamble on an eBay purchase. Reading around I don't see anyone saying particularly positive things about its replacement, the Chromecast with Google TV. I'm not in the Apple ecosystem and don't really want to be, so the Apple TV doesn't really appeal to me.