Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Takkaryx posted:

My coworker is convinced that IE 11 is the fastest, bestest browser and will not accept any other answer. This makes me angry, as we both work at a Help Desk. Do you guys know of any good benchmarking sites for browsers that I can beat him over the head with, before I resort to spare towers?

Stop giving a poo poo. Seriously. It's not like they are using IE6 or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Touchfuzzy posted:

I don't know if this'll sound a bit off or not, but are there any currently recommended models/brands of webcams and printers? For webcams, I just assume Logitech, but I don't know if buying an actual video camera would be a better investment? As for printers, I have no drat clue.

I'd say a Logitech c920 and Brother 2270dw. Of course those are the items that I own. If you can stretch your budget the c920 is really nice webcam otherwise any of the ~$40 Logitech webcams will be fine. The Brother is a great laser printer you can regularly find under $100

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Rukus posted:

Buy an eneloop kit and use nothing else.

If you do this make sure it's one of the newer chargers that allows for single batteries to be charged. The older charger needed two batteries in each half to charge.

I have a LaCrosse BC 700 that I pad ~$33 for, but if I was going to purchase one today this Opus looks good and has NLee the Engineer seal of approval.

Also, I'd only purchase Eneloop or Amazon white label batteries

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

wormil posted:

Bought a mouse a month ago from Newegg, it's defective, should I deal with Newegg and exchange it or go through Logitech?

Logitech. Except I don't know if they'll ship first and then let you send it back. However, the last time I had to do RMA a mouse, several years ago, they just sent me one. I just had to RMA a G930 headset and I had to ship first but they covered everything

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
The point isn't to have one backup? OK, you buy some awesome LTO tape drives and keep them in a cool, dry part of your house. Now your house burns down. There goes your backups.

Like Saukkis said make multiple copies of them. Stick them in Google Photos, Amazon cloud photo backup (if you have Prime), a sync provider (OneDrive, Dropbox, Spider Oak), a cloud backup provider (Backblaze, Crashplan), and rotate two encrypted external backups where one is kept offsite (work, lockbox, friend you see regularly). Maybe burn to DVD and sent to family across the country. That's a backup strategy, sticking a single copy on a LTO tape is not.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've got two laptops, a personal laptop and a work laptop.

The work laptop has a Mini Displayport port.

The personal laptop has a USB-C port.

I want to find a docking solution that I can plug either laptop into and have whichever is plugged in, connect to two HDMI external monitors and a bunch of peripherals (wireless mouse, headphones, earbuds, etc.

I can't find a docking station that has both a Mini Displayport AND a USB-C port, though. I found a usb-C to USB converter but it just connects the ports for power, not data.

Any solutions? I Just want to cut down on plugging and unplugging.

thanks!

A new Dell u3219q, it has a built-in KVM between the usb-c input and a HDMI/Displayport/USB interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Orac posted:

I'm setting up a home office and will also want to set my gaming pc up there too. I'm going to get a 2nd monitor and want to set my work laptop up to them and pretty much not use the laptop screen. Is there a way to do this and use the monitors for my gaming pc too without having to keep switching the cables around between the two?

I'll agree with Rexxed that KVMs tend to suck or are $$$. I ended up with a USB switcher that has a remote control and flip my keyboard, mouse, wireless headset, and web cam with. I just switch the input of my monitor between my work laptop and PC. If you have a fancy monitor that can switch the input to the monitor input that'd best but this isn't a bad way to go.