Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I keep my laptop's old hard drive in a 2.5" USB enclosure since I upgraded to an SSD. Last night I dropped the enclosure, drive and all, a distance of about 3 feet. This morning I plug it in and it refuses to spin up. What can I try to retrieve the data and move it to a new drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It makes noises, I'll see if I can boot up from it and back it up to another USB drive.

EDIT: It's a WD Scorpio Blue and it makes this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxsjVfFW3tg

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 30, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

It makes noises, I'll see if I can boot up from it and back it up to another USB drive.

EDIT: It's a WD Scorpio Blue and it makes this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxsjVfFW3tg

I assume I need to contact a data recovery shop, then? Who is the go-to choice, DriveSavers?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

apropos man posted:

Does anyone else place the CPU into the socket and then give it a little 1mm lateral wiggle to make sure it's seated before closing the clasp?

Am I alone in being a little wiggler??

I twist the heatsink a little once it is clamped on, to spread the thermal paste a bit more.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

An original/genuine OEM battery is going to be a few years old by now, so besides being expensive it won't last long enough to justify the cost.

I ended up spending $20 on an aftermarket battery for my SL510 that lasts about 3ish hours. Not great, but for twenty bucks it tides me over.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bipolar Transistor posted:

Does anyone know of a good 802.11ac class router that works with LEDE? I don't want DD-WRT, and Tomato isn't quite what I'm looking for either. This pretty much means I'm stuck with Atheros. I can't find a drat thing.

If you haven't already posted in it...

Try there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How can I get a triple monitor setup working? Trying with a spare HD 5450 in a Dell Optiplex 3010, running Windows 10. I can get the monitors on the DVI and HDMI to work, but the 3rd one on VGA gets no love. What do I need to achieve 3 monitors?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It doesn't have DP, so I take it we'll have to get a card with it and active DP adapter(s)?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There is onboard video, but when I tried using it I get "System Halted!" message on startup, telling me I have an add-in video card but the monitor is plugged into the onboard video :v:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What should I use to test a Lite-On SSD?

Dealing with a Dell Latitude e7470 and this is the standard drive in it. It's been blue-screening, I reset Windows 10 and it still happened, I then reimaged it and it still happened.

Dell's full diagnostics: no errors. Ran it 4 times now
Windows Memory Diagnostics: no errors, ran it twice
MemTest86: Currently on its second pass. No errors

I also ran CrystalDiskInfo, but everything had a green light. I'll run it again and post the data or a screengrab.

I'd love suggestions! Chasing out a ghost in a machine.

Edit: This morning's BSOD error code was CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 13, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have never heard of a VCR that does that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Argue posted:

My mom called me to ask if her company (medium size, not IT related) should purchase one of these security appliances sold by this company, WatchGuard (https://www.watchguard.com). My infosec knowledge is weak and I've never heard of them. Is this a worthwhile investment?

You might try asking in one of the IT threads like this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845247

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Judging from your avatar and title, you've got multiple issues with your fandom.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'm going to be shopping for a used laptop soon. Does anyone besides Dell do the "genuine" bullshit with batteries and power supplies?

What do you mean exactly? Also, you might want to ask in the Laptop Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In your photo it does look like a VGA cable, but what it plugs into on the Logitech page you linked has only two rows of pins instead of three. If the port on your speaker does have three rows then it's inexpensive to try a simple VGA extension cable. You can get them for under $10 on Amazon.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might try asking in the laptop megathread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=695&perpage=40

Be sure to specify the make and model of your laptop

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Arivia posted:

Does your laptop even have a socketed CPU you can replace, or is it soldered to the motherboard?

"From reading the instructions, even though it claims it's an embedded processor, it can be swapped out for another with the same socket."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It depends on the laptop. A good start is to look up the CPU it currently has and see if it's a replaceable model.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You'll need to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer. You can use a USB to SATA adapter cable, or put it in a 3.5" enclosure that connects via USB.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What form factor of motherboard is this? ITX, mini-ITX, or something else? Or is it a proprietary design?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yes, it was my mother's old HP AIO. I was hoping I could put a non-anemic motherboard in it. That one has a grand total of 1 CPU upgrade possible, an increase of 50 Mhz.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's an HP 100B AIO. I have an SSD I can swap in, and my old laptop RAM might work, but it's rather moot as she has a much nicer Dell 9020 AIO now. Anyway the CPU is a netbook class AMD E-350, so I'm not going to put my spare parts into a 7 year old machine with no further upgrade path. If I could put in a conventional motherboard (requiring case mods, fine) then I'd consider it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Replace the cable?

See if your BIOS switched out of UEFI or Legacy mode, or ATA/AHCI/RAID.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I agree with both suggestions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Partial Octopus posted:

So I have an aio with 2x fans. When both are plugged in it makes a modulating noise. Sounds like :wom: :wom: :wom: :wom:. If I unplug one of the fans it goes away. Both fans are wired on a splitter going to the AIO.
How do i fix this? Its driving me insane.

Can the fans be connected without the splitter?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to find a cloning program that will do a sector-by-sector copy. However, depending on the extent of the damage this may not get you all your data recovered.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stop pushing us away, we're here to help you

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They're universal!!!

You can use them for ANYTHING!!! that fits

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bring back FireWire

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's actually kind of cool, and there are also DDR3 and DDR4 versions there

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might want to give powerline adapters a try.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Call Asus support and get the model number for that AC adapter, then search it on Amazon and eBay. Or see if they'll send or sell you one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Statutory Ape posted:

like two years ago i bought a ground loop isolator (i think its called, to reduce the interference on audio signal)

it was not the fix for that problem two years ago but today i used it and it has solved a problem

i just figured yall deserved the follow up

Thanks, I'll close the ticket now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's an audio questions megathread and a home audio thread in Inspect your Gadgets

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

His usage case sounds perfect for a Chromebook. I'm a Windows babby and I love mine.

If there's some Windows program that's essential to his use then sure, go for a Windows laptop.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You can probably still get Windows 10 for free, or very cheap. Use your existing Windows 7 product key:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Employee at Company A stole a formula for electrolyte and took it with him when he went to work for Company B. Unfortunately the formula was incomplete and resulted in thousands, maybe millions of boards with bad caps.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Holy poo poo is that really what happened? I've never heard that before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Industrial_espionage

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LRADIKAL posted:

Looking for a cheap, compact atx case for a hand me down collection of components. Currently only need room for a 750ti, 2.5" ssd, normal sized PSU and a stock cooler. Thanks!

Have you tried the PC Building and Parts Picking Megathread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Either get a small flathead screwdriver under the head as you unscrew it, or drill the head off and remove the rest with tweezers.