Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I find myself often discharging static electricity and my nasal passage is pretty dry, this has me wondering if the air in my room might be too dry. Would I benefit from an air humidifier and are they safe to use in a room with a lot of electronics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the replies, I ordered a humidifier today.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Is this thing alright for playing not-crazy games? Probably the most demanding game I have is Planet Coaster; everything else is stuff like Firewatch. I'd like a half-decent tower that can do that for less than 700.

This system has no dedicated graphics card which means it will struggle in something like Planet Coaster, as this gameplay shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGSTPr0jTQE

If building yourself is an option, you can get a lot better gaming performance out of 700 dollars.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thanks for this, reading the thread now. im open to the idea of building my own but do not know jack about poo poo and am frightened by the prospect

It's kind of a hassle and not an insignificant amount of work but it's also rather simple with little risk in the way of serious damage, if something really goes "wrong" it likely just results in you creating a bit more work for yourself.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Right now, my case has 3 Noctua 120mm A12 intake fans (slim 15mm ones, rather than the more common 25mm variant), I'm wondering, since the fans are too loud for my liking, if it would be worth trying 2 Arctic P14 140mmx25mm case fans instead?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any good, low noise CPU cooler options for a 3700x that aren't Noctua priced? Sort of a step between the stock and a Noctua in price and performance.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rexxed posted:

On my R7-1700 I have the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B which is about $50. It's just one big fin stack but it's been good. I only have a mild overclock of 3.8ghz because it's an R7-1700.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=scythe+mugen+5+rev.b&crid=38FK81STER4Q6

How is the RAM clearance on this one? I have an ITX board (tho an ATX case), so space might be a bit of an issue.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My motherboard (ASUS x570 ITX) allows me to select between the CPU and the motherboard sensor to use for the PWM controlled case fans. Which one should I choose? The temperature reported by the motherboard sensor is a good the deal lower than the one reported by the CPU sensor.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rolo posted:

Am I wasting power and space with the top-front exhaust fan? Am I just exhausting fresh air?

Things might change if you install a 3080 FE but with your current GPU I believe the answer is yes.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rolo posted:

I’ve been benchmarking by just playing games. What’s a good program that will stress both the CPU and GPU at the same time?

Free and able to stress a multitude of components:

https://www.ocbase.com/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Should I grab chipset drivers from my motherboard manufacturer or from AMD directly?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Every time I print something on my HP LaserJet Pro M12w I have to power cycle it first. Is there printer brand or model that is maybe a bit more user friendly? I just need a laser printer that I can print over wifi on, doesn't even need to support color.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are any of those Anker or Aukey type webcams worth a recommendation or should I just get a c920?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have a cigarette lighter to USB adapter in my car that's rated like this:

Charging (Input) DC 12V-24V
Charging (Output) DC 5V-1A

Can anyone tell me what kind of charging speed in watts I can expect to get when using this USB port? Is it 5w?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Indiana_Krom posted:

Remember Volts * Amps = Watts.

5V * 1A = 5W

I'll try to, thank you!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looking at the Thermaltake GF3 850w ATX 3.0 PSU and in the Cybenetics report there is this which mentions the 12HVPWR cable being rated for 300w:

Does this mean that connector on that PSU would max out at 300w, unlike using three PCIe 8 Pins which could get me to a combined 450w? I'm not familiar with Cybenetics certifications so I'm not exactly sure how to read that document.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Swapping CPU, RAM and motherboard but not the system drive still means an OS reinstall, right?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks guys, I'm upgrading from a non x3d to an x3d so I'll be keeping an eye out.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

HalloKitty posted:

Here you go, I knew I remembered something about it
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/28.html

Thank you for providing a source, I'll make sure to reinstall Windows. Hopefully I'll be able to find my activation key and won't have to rebuy, tho I know they are very cheap.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

HalloKitty posted:

Probably not, but sometimes you'll have weird issues you can't pinpoint.

Like swapping between an X3D and non-X3D chip creating weird perfomance issues - at least it's something like I recall from a Gamers Nexus video

I swapped my CPU and installed the new OS with restore from backup, is there a free CPU benchmark tool I can use to check that my CPU is performing to a normal standard?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks guys. I downloaded Cinebench R23 and got a score that was seemingly subpar (16.8k vs 18.2k), this made me update my chipset drivers and enable PBO and now the score is what seems like at a normal level (18.1k). The CPU reaches a max of 85°C during the benchmark but that's normal for that setting from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
drat, same CPU and cooler get to 85c in Cinebench for me.