Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure if this is a short question or not, but we're up and moving from the US to Europe soon (Portugal and Latvia for the purposes of this question) and that includes some larger electronics that I'm not sure how or if we can use over there without blowing something up.

Smaller things like laptops/chargers we have voltage adapters which we've used before on visits like this https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Universal-Converter-Charging-Worldwide-dp-B00I065NGC/dp/B00I065NGC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

But for larger things like:

LG C9 TV (not for getting live TV/Cable because of PAL/NTSC diff but for streaming services)
Denon AVR-S650H receiver
PS5
Desktop Monitors (to attach to the laptops)

Is it possible to use adapters like the above, or do we need to buy actual transformers like this https://www.amazon.com/Yinleader-Vo...WNrPXRydWU&th=1 to use those safely, if we can use them at all? For something like this would a regular 110v surge protector after the transformer be what would be expected just like how our normal setup here has the tv/receiver/PS5 running off a nice chunky surge protector?

We're not thinking of any kitchen appliances/hair dryers and that's fine, we'll have those over there already, I'm looking at the more portable stuff to try to avoid having to rebuy them overseas. I'm leaving my desktop PC behind since it's old and I do want to build a completely new one in a few months so I might as well part it out from the EU anyway.

And another question, we have a ton of 110v power strips. With a travel adapter on the end, are they useable at all for smaller stuff? Or if we have the travel adapters above which have multiple outlets should we just be using them instead?

I keep reading conflicting stuff/anecdotes online and while I'm not married to any of this stuff, if we can throw it in the shipping container and use it all to fill the empty house over there at least temporarily (without blowing anything up), we'd like to.

As the poster above said, you need to check the labels on the devices, some will be full range, others not. Unless something is rare, valuable or has personal value, don't bother with things that won't run on 230V - you'll be adding complication, cost and efficiency losses in using random transformers to convert.

Power strips, no way, you definitely don't want to mix the two cable types up, you'll make it way too easy to plug the wrong appliances in, and also the US plug design allows way too easy access to live voltage, which at double the line voltage can be dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Oh man, the car is a whole 'nother story. We've got a '21 Subaru Forester with less than 10k miles on it, and we're considering shipping that over as well. We're still pricing out shipping options versus what we'd potentially get over there. Given used cars are still pricey around here it's looking pretty close on the value prop for shipping it right now.

Surely that can't be worth it - a car with so low mileage is practically new and can be sold for a decent amount.
You can just buy another Forester when you land - shipping a car can't be that cheap.
Obviously you can do the research on how much that costs, but on the face of it it seems like it would just flat out cost more to do, not to mention if there are any parts differences, you're giving yourself a headache.

Edit: hm, there doesn't seem to be a Subaru website for Portugal, but there is one for Spain.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 16, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

my quick questions of today:

Does thermal paste go bad(ins storage?
Is Arctic Silver 5 still one of the best/default brands?

Basically I put off fixing my computer stuff until taxes/life settled down; and will be doing a fan swap. My loose plan is to order some as5 ceramique(nonconductive) if its still reliable/good brand, just to completely eliminate the chance I gently caress it up.

I have some regular as5 in my computer box, but its as old as this computer so going on a decade.

I've been using Kryonaut for quite some time, used up a tube and a half, but after much deliberation I'm now going with Arctic MX-6, and have started using it in my builds.
Make of that what you will, there are many options out there.

vv Yeah, NT-H1, they've also made an H2 now. Main reason I never went with it (even though I have several tubes of it) is because of its low viscosity and questions about longevity. But you probably can't go wrong with it, honestly

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 28, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a tiny motion sensor camera that I can get to vibrate the hell out of my phone when it detects something vaguely human shaped? I'm working graveyard shift solo and it'd be nice to know if a customer wanders in while I'm in the back with headphones in

I'm pretty fond of the Reolink cameras. Get one of the battery powered ones, they wake up on pir sensor activation. You can just leave it plugged in to a usb charger if you like.

Needs wifi ofc

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah it's on the way. The plug has a ridiculous amount of play in it though. Like 20 degrees of wiggle. Fingers crossed it works and doesn't give out for a while. I don't want to build a pc right now. Gpu prices are kinda dumb for 1440p at the moment and that's what I want.

I know it's not US pricing, (Denmark) but I recently saw a 6800 for 3500 dkk, which if you take off tax, works out at $405.
That's a fantastic price, to the point where I might buy one for the hell of it.

https://www.komplett.dk/product/1246179/hardware/pc-komponenter/grafikkort/msi-rx-6800-gaming-z-trio

Even is bundled with re4 remake

vv ok hell of a coincidence.. it's a steal of deal. for what it's worth, the rumours about 7800 are that it will have the same core config and amount of VRAM, for the 6800's original MSRP. So there'll be new features and probably higher clocks, but I'm not expecting it to be worth $174 more (or likely way more for the fancy partner cards)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 8, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ok, my fun money is allotted to vacation right now so I can’t put an entire system together right away. Is this the kind of deal that I won’t be able to find 4 months from now? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

I’m tempted because it’s the only reasonable price for a 16gb card I’ve seen.

I obviously don't know, but my guess is the 6xxx series stock is going to dry up pretty quickly and be replaced by new 7xxx cards which won't be at firesale prices. That'll probably happen within the next few months, but as far as I know we don't have a release date for 7700 or 7800 series yet

Edit: but when 7700 and 7800 do hit, they'll probably overprice them for the first few months, so it won't be a fair comparison price wise until late in the year. Of course, NVIDIA could have responded with price cuts or whatever else they have up their sleeve, that's just how the market rolls on

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 8, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Literally in Denmark, I gotta think about this, drat

I don't know what you ended up doing, but the 6800 deal for 3500 dkk is sold out now, the cheapest 6800 is now just over 4000 dkk.

I bought one at 3500 just for the hell of it, as I personally don't think we'll see a deal like that again until maybe the end of the year. That said, I don't game that much these days, no time.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 20, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ijyt posted:

I'm doing something I've somehow actually never done before, and that's upgrading components without starting a fresh install of Windows - is there anything to look out for? I'm moving from AM4 Zen 3 to AM5 Zen 4 but I can't actually access the OS in advance of introducing the new components to do anything like remove chipset drivers etc. Is my best bet to boot straight into safe mode after everything initialises, clear out any AMD drivers and then let Windows 11 sort out fetching the drivers, or install them manually?

There was a big issue with the x3d multi-ccd chips and moving between single and multi chips for benchmarking in the same windows install that was only resolved with a clean install. Can't remember who highlighted this. It affected performance

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Arrath posted:

It's a gigabyte z390 https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145098?tpk=1

The wifi signal is good, the router isn't very far away at all. I asked the landlord if it could be moved but the cable drop is in the entryway and :effort: on his part, so. No coax jacks to run MOCA, either unfortunately.

probably best getting a USB one, I say that because then you can use a USB extension cable and not have it right behind your PC, to improve the signal. Plus you can then use it trivially in any another machine

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PirateBob posted:

I've ordered a Kindle Paperwhite 5 with no ads. And immediately started wondering if I should have saved money by getting a Kobo instead lol :v:

Yeah I have a kobo for the epub support, it's pretty ok

Aura h2o edition 2

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

I upgraded my PSU, swapping all of the cables except for a single sata cable powering an ssd, and the PC wouldn't start. I swapped out the sata cable for one that came with the new PSU, and it worked, and the ssd still seems ok. Is this a common thing? I thought those cables were standardized. Are you just not allowed to mix and match?

You got lucky. There's no standardisation for modular psu cables. Only use the cables that come with the psu unless you're absolutely certain of the pinouts.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Racing Stripe posted:

This is perhaps more an iOS question than a hardware question, but there's no iOS or iPad specific thread on the first two pages, so here's my question:

My grandpa died (RIP to a real one) and I got his iPad. He also had an iPhone, and both devices are logged in to his email and account stuff. My aunts are taking care of his affairs and they want to keep access to his accounts via his phone. They cautioned me, repeatedly, not to do anything on the iPad that would cause them to lose access to his emails and stuff through his iPhone. I'm 90% certain that I can do a factory reset on this iPad without affecting what goes on with his phone, but I'm not totally sure. Anybody out there 100% sure, one way or another, whether it's okay for me to do that?

I don't know but I wouldn't touch poo poo. I know Google accounts often request mfa confirmation on another device you've used. I don't know how Apple accounts work but I wouldn't mess with it until everyone's certain nothing further is needed. It's just an iPad.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Basic documents. Mostly black and white. A home printer that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to refill.

Laser. Everytime. Brother always gets recommended, and I own a Brother multifunction colour laser.
The best value printer I ever had was a tiny mono Samsung laser, lasted obscenely long on a cartridge, never went wrong, sold it when I bought the Brother, I'd had it for well over 10 years and bought one cartridge for it

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dravs posted:

I got a new PSU which was a refurb, as soon as I turned it on there was no power but a strong burning smell from the PSU. Could it just be faulty or can a motherboard declare jihad on power supplies?

Please don't tell me you re-used the old modular cables

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

We don't want warnings, we want connectors that are keyed the same to have the same pinout. Anything else is criminal.

Although PSUs have a tradition of this, for those of us who remember the AT power connector. Black to black!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I have small tablet I sometimes don't uses weeks maybe months at a time. Battery-wise, is it better to keep it constantly charged (leave it powered on and hooked up), or turned off?

I don't know what brand it is, but my Lenovo tab p11 has a battery save feature, keeps it between 40% and 60% or something like that. My samsung phone has a "charge to 85%" option too. Maybe your device has a similar feature

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Artelier posted:

Is there such a thing as "cable tape" and if yes, what's the term I'm looking for?

I'm not looking to arrange the insides of my desktop, but rather the loose wires outside and there's a couple in particular that keeps slipping away from the clump of wires that I have so I am thinking if I can stick it to the wall, without drilling or anything like that, would be great.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=self+adhesive+cable+clips&crid=2E046MTD5KT64&sprefix=Self+adhesive+cable%2Caps%2C292&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_19

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

repiv posted:

did i use enough thermal paste

Two tubes, one socket

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Volcott posted:

Accidentally damaged a displayport 1.4 cable because I did not know locking cables were a thing. Anyone have a Brand they'd recommend for a decent-quality replacement?

Somewhere the HDMI port designer with his friction only design is cheering whilst his "latching-is-superior" DisplayPort buddy is weeping.
He just wanted your cable to stay plugged in. He thought the big button was big enough

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wash bucket posted:

That button doesn't work for poo poo. You tell him I hate his rear end.

Maybe the next port should go back to using screws :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I got a 2070 Super off someone and it has a stupid breathing effect on the side LEDs.

When I run OpenRGB, it isn't detected.
In the library of devices, I see 30x0 devices so I have to assume they are very similar.

Is there a simple way to control this effect, if even to turn it off?

Look carefully at the shroud and find the cable/connector for the leds, and just unplug it from the pcb

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Swapping CPU, RAM and motherboard but not the system drive still means an OS reinstall, right?

Probably not, but sometimes you'll have weird issues you can't pinpoint.

Like swapping between an X3D and non-X3D chip creating weird perfomance issues - at least it's something like I recall from a Gamers Nexus video

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks guys, I'm upgrading from a non x3d to an x3d so I'll be keeping an eye out.

Here you go, I knew I remembered something about it
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/28.html

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FalloutGod posted:

I'm getting 32 gigs its just at 2333 speeds. I've messed with the BIOS configs and I don't have the ability to screen shot it. Theres no XMP, ASUS uses something called DOCP apparently. Inside of the DOCP setting there is a preset config for the new RAM at 4400 speeds. When I set it to that I don't get those speeds though.

I'm beyond frustrated. I'm going to take a break until tomorrow. I've been fiddling with my computer and reading useless docs for the last 2 hours. I appreciate your time Bacon but I'm pretty sure I just ordered RAM that doesn't work with my motherboard.

Make sure you're running the newest bios, take some photos of the settings. What cpu? The memory controller on your cpu has the largest influence on achievable speeds

I'm also not sure 4400 is better than 3600 anyway with Ryzen due to the ratio of ram speed to infinity fabric speed. You could probably do 3600 or maybe ~3800/4000 1:1 (cpu dependant) with very tight timings on those sticks to achieve the best perfomance, but I could be wrong

Edit: I do realise hand-tuning it is a pain in the rear end, though

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 11, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I shop for ATX psus very simplistically: best Seasonic in budget

v I highly doubt EVGA is the OEM, so you're getting something else anyway. Of course that's fine, and EVGA are standing by the product, but they didn't design and build it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Htpc is the only way. No idea why people put so much trust in random black boxes