Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Hello SHSC. I haven't ventured here before so I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask.
One of the 7-year-old mass-storage HDDs in my home computer has suddenly stopped being recognised by windows, and isn't showing up in the bios either. About a week ago the problem HDD's read-write times started taking massively longer than normal. I've tried swapped the sata cables with a healthy drive (an identical model western digital blue which was bought and installed at the same time), which could be read just fine, so it doesn't seem like the motherboard port or the sata cable is at fault.
Do I just need to accept that this HDD is dead? or do you wizards know of some way I might be able to magically revive it?. I assume data recovery software isn't going to help if it's a hardware fault and the drive can't be seen by the computer?

O-Unit fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Thank you all for the replies. I can hear and feel the drive spinning up, and I don't think it's making any unusual sounds.

Unfortunetly I don't have one of those star-headed screwdrivers to take the drive apart to check the soldering on the SATA port. Even if I did, the thought of doing electronics scares the crap out of me - I've never done anything more complex than plugging PC components together like lego!

I'll get in touch with the local PC repair shop with what I've learned here, and see if they think attempting data recovery is worth a go (and how much it'd cost).

Failing that, when I'm ready to say goodbye to it, I'll try the freezer trick. Do you literally pop the drive in the freezer overnight then plug it in whilst it's still cold?