Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I have one and it's pretty awesome, but I got it a year ago on sale from amazon or newegg for like $90, not sure I'd pay $110 for it, that seems a little steep and there might be other competition at that price range? I just knew there was no way anything would beat it at the sale price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Alereon posted:

surround processing destroys the 3D positional audio effect, it does not enhance it.

Head-Related Transfer Functions
I assumed he was already referring to the latter, because without any kind of "surround processing" all you have from stereo headphones is "left" and "right". I think you're saying it's stupid to further/reprocess something from a movie or game engine that has already taken these effects into account, but that should be a given... and basically in any situation I can imagine where that kind of processing would be useful (beyond what the source itself is trying to put out), the audio source is probably sloppy enough that there's no way you're going to have the proper positioning and environmental info anyway.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Speak of the devil, Newegg has the G930 for $72 today with promo code VISACHECKOUT, fantastic headset at that price.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Titor posted:

To add onto that I remember quite a few people here stating that Seagate have been known to tamper with SMART data so as to hide early warning signs of drive failure. What evidence can I find of this?

When one of my seagates was being flaky I did some research and saw they counted stuff strangely or perhaps used some smart fields for slightly different purposes than originally intended, but it ultimately all made sense and was internally consistent, and I couldn't find any evidence of the conspiracy theory type stuff I see posted here a lot.

Of course I love being wrong because then I get to learn more stuff, so anyone? please?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I guess this is probably at least as appropriate as asking in IYG, so... are one-way HDMI cables a thing, provided they're not crazy active extenders or anything weird? I need to get video INTO a big AIO "tablet"/portable monitor, which has a micro/type D connector on it; it came with a cable that works just fine for this purpose, and it's meant to be used as a portable monitor, there's a button in the OSD to switch to HDMI input, I'm not trying to make it do anything crazy. But I just bought http://www.amazon.com/CNE82393-6-Feet-Micro-Ethernet-Motorola/dp/B003Y3TS4Y/ because I'm out of town and forgot the cable that came with it, and it doesn't work. My laptop can see the monitor, and presumably the tablet/monitor would be able to output to a real monitor/projector/whatever, but when I switch it to HDMI input it's not getting anything. Looking more closely, the product description says it "supports" type A output and type D input. What the gently caress is this nonsense? I can't even find any type A<->D cables that are explicitly two-way, or at least A->D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Typically they're just labeled that way because 99% of the time, you're connecting an A size connector on a display to the D size connector on like a phone or tablet. If it only went one way, it wouldn't really be able to work.
Figured as much, thanks guys, awesome link.