Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Maybe. What power supply do you have and how old is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Touchfuzzy posted:

I was going to start looking for a nice webcam, and I figured I'd just ask here if anyone knows of a brand other than Logitech that makes a nice one.
Look at the Microsoft Lifecam series.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Download the portable standard version w/o ads of CrystalDiskInfo and run it: http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
See if it shows the drive as bad or caution, which would mean you'll need a new drive. If the drive comes up clean you might have a bad stick of RAM or possibly a failing mainboard. Replacing RAM is doable if necessary, but a laptop mainboard failing means time to get a new laptop.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Hog Inspector posted:

yikes, it says caution. Thanks for the link, looks like I'm getting a new drive.
Backup anything you want to keep asap. Don't bother reinstalling Windows on that drive as you're right, it needs to be replaced.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Check the HDD on a windows PC with crystaldiskinfo (non anime portable version). It's probably dying.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

peskyplumber posted:

What's the risk associated with using an old PSU? Just not being able to power the components? I'm thinking about putting a GTX 970 into my 4-5 year old prebuilt until I can build a new PC later in the year and I don't want to risk damaging it somehow, even if the 970 uses less power than my current 260.

On the same note, how do you handle drivers when switching graphics cards? Uninstall the old one beforehand?
General instability and random crashing is a possibility, which can damage file systems and otherwise do bad things to hard drives and ssds. If things really go bad then there's the risk of a PSU taking out a motherboard or a GPU, however better-quality PSUs have a lot of safeguards built in to avoid that. The likelihood of system or component damage is lower than eventual quiet PSU death unless you're using a complete garbage quality model. If you get GPU driver crashes when gaming or the system hardlocks or suddenly reboots then the PSU probably can't handle the card.

Run display driver uninstaller to remove the old drivers then install the latest drivers for the new card.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 9, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

doctorfrog posted:

My experience isn't as extensive, but I avoid Seagates for similar reasons. I have an 800MB 2.5" external drive from 2010, which ran like a dream for a couple years, then examining it with Crystal Disk Info revealed that it was slowly using up its Reallocated Sectors, and threw a yellow caution. I ran Seagate's test thing (quick and long tests) so I could return it, and it passes with flying colors. So I have to either use the drive until it's so bad it doesn't even pass Seagate's test (and under warranty), or relegate it to storing things I don't care about. I didn't bother with either.
There's actually a Seagate RMA code that's just "this drive isn't erroring but I'm confident it's dying" that will let you return it, unless they removed the code or something. I've done this in the past and just tossed in a CDI printout with the bad sector codes highlighted.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Unless you want to be permanent life support for this machine and provide free tech support every time a component dies, and it will in time, tell your aunt that it's not worth fixing. Putting another P4 in it won't improve performance enough to be worth the effort, the caps in the PSU and motherboard are EOL, and newer versions of Windows won't support it. If you must give her examples, you may have to find 'replacement' parts for everything likely to die, and give her a price list. It'll probably end up more than a new PC costs on the Dell outlet, and even if it doesn't you do not want to be locked into fixing that piece of poo poo.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Tried a different monitor? This is probably a Haus question since it doesn't sound like there's a short easy-fix solution.
You'd need to provide specific information on the parts in both PCs and a better description of what's going on and with which PC in particular, as right now it's not really clear if both PCs are having issues or possibly that you have two bad monitors and/or a bad videocard hooked up to one PC.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
^^^
good idea.

FaustianQ posted:

I've got two issues

1) A relative has an old laptop that was working fine up until a week ago, which is now locked into an endless boot repair loop. I failed to deal with it before and this is the second time this is happening. I had originally thought it software related since RAM passed validation and the HDD wasn't returning errors, so I eventually gave up, pulled their data and reinstalled. I thought everything was fine because it ran and booted fine through several updates, but it's apparently back to being a hunk of metal again. It's an HP nc8340.

If it can't be saved I have my HP laptop that's only 2 years old and I'm willing to pass it off to them.

2) I have a G930 headset that works fine 95% of the time but will occasionally begin emitting a buzzing noise that grows, causes the wireless signal to cut in and out while punctuated by high pitched distortion then finally draining the charge. It seems entirely random, I haven't been able to replicate it and I can't predict when it will do it, but it's usually no more than twice in a monthly period. What the hell am I doing wrong with this headset?
1) Probably RAM, although if the HDD is the original 80GB model it might be dying without throwing SMART errors. I'd try replacing the RAM with another stick(s) or at least running a memtest on it, and maybe swap out the HDD with a newer SATA drive if a memtest doesn't reveal anything.

2) I'd suggest contacting Logitech support. Unless things have changed their service was always very good and they might be willing to fix the headset or replace it if it can't be repaired.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

FaustianQ posted:

Are the fans for HS mostly universal for laptops? I'm guessing the answer is no because laptop, which would suck because I can't find a HSF replacement for the nc8340.
Most laptop fans are universal, at least per-OEM or for a major laptop line (ie: DV6xxx). Make sure the size is correct - if you're replacing a 30mm/40mm fan make sure the replacement is the same size.

If a laptop's overheating, besides checking vents and the heatsink(s) for blockages I would replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Use something non-conductive like ceramique, MX-4, etc., and not AS5.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
If it's not coil whine it could be one of the fans - the motors on Panoflo fans drive me up a wall depending on the voltage they're running. You could try stopping the fans by putting your finger on the hubs (only if they're not high-speed fan models), or you can pull the fan power connectors and see if it stops after that, in which can you might need to replace the fan(s) depending on how much it bothers you.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

ElehemEare posted:

Is there any downside to running 3x4 rather than 2x4 with regard to memory bandwidth?
There will be some minor performance penalties that you may not notice at all. On the other hand if you need to send the stick in for RMA and it was bought as a set you have to send the whole set in, and you'd probably notice half your RAM missing.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Check your videocard's fan for dust as it's probably overheating given that the fan's revving up and you're seeing black screens. Depending on the videocard age you may have to reseat the cooler with new thermal paste since the cheap stock poo poo can turn rock-hard eventually.

Black screens can also be caused by a bad power supply, and that might be the cause of your booting problem, but the fan sounds like videocard overheating.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Are you running furmark? If not then you're probably mining coins for some lucky botnet.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SplitSoul posted:

Security Essentials isn't picking up anything.
I'd suggest running hitmanpro, malwarebytes, and maybe TDSS killer also. You probably have something like iehighutil running on the PC.
Edit: also the utorrent poo poo.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
If it were true your SSDs/HDDs wouldn't function, among other things. False alarm.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W semi modular power supply and almost all of the cables are missing. I sent an e-mail to thermaltake's support earlier today and have not heard back yet (I will be impressed if they contact me). Google lead me to a Tom's Hardware thread where a user said that all modular power supply cables are cross compatible, is there any truth to this? Even so, thus far I am only finding $100 "individually sleeved" cable kits which kinda seem like bling to me, is there a real advantage to individually sleeved cables?
If it's too expensive to buy the parts I'd seriously consider getting a new PSU. Thermaltake's only good line is the Toughpower series and even then it's not that great compared to Seasonic or Superflower. The TR2 series is actually pretty mediocre so it may not be worth it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Crotch Fruit posted:

I honestly don't know much at all about the Core 2 series or more modern Intel CPUs, is there a better chip I should look for to go with this board?
This is the CPU support list:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/HelpDesk_CPU/

You might be able to find a e8400 for a little less and the performance difference isn't significant. If you need a quad for whatever reason and you'd be willing to overclock you could go with a Q6600. Any C2D/C2Q chip won't compare that well with a modern CPU though so I'd avoid spending too much money on the chip.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's fine to copy files over to another drive and it won't corrupt the new drive.
1 uncorrectable sector does indicate that the drive's failing, but unless it's noisy or locking up it should last more than long enough to back everything up. For a single reported error you could probably get away with cloning it straight-out since the chance that it's something critical isn't that high, particularly if it's not hosting an OS.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I finally broke down and bought a 5341J for Comcast. The loaner SMC modem works fine at this low business tier but I'm tired of paying them for the privilege and it doesn't support ipv6 at all.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
If you match up the board's headers from the manual to the case headers you can just match them easily without an adapter. Just pay attention to polarity for the HDD/activity LEDs. Power and reset button polarity generally doesn't matter.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
That sounds fine - the top fans are going to be assisted by passive heat rising anyways so you probably don't need too much active support there.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
You didn't leave the CPU heatsink attached when you moved, right? I killed a P4 system shipping it like that years back. Motherboard apparently flexed and that was it. I'd reseat the RAM, and then the CPU & heatsink with new thermal paste as suggested first, but the next thing I'd be looking at would be the motherboard.

It's probably less of a concern if it's the stock heatsink rather than a tower-style heatsink though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
If you don't get a surfboard modem I can recommend a Zoom 5341J for an easy reliable device with Comcast. Haven't had any issues with mine so far and it was dead-simple to setup.

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I tried to reset the bios by moving the "CLR RTC" jumpers for 10 seconds per the manual and removed the video card, but unfortunately it's still doing the same thing. I did put the jumpers back after I was done. As far as I know the bios reset but there's no way for me to see.

If nothing else this has taught me a lot of new things.
Have a different videocard to try?

Are you plugging the video cable into the onboard video connection or the videocard? Does it have more than one port on the videocard? Try both if so.

Also, try unplugging and re-plugging the 12V 4-pin/8-pin cable on the motherboard. You can try running the board barebones on a non-conductive surface outside of the case as a last resort.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Kind of an old board on that. I'd try a new power supply, and it's possible the videocard is still good.

The motherboard might be nearing the end of its life with a passive-cooled nforce chipset. Those always ran warm. I'd look at the PSU first though unless it was purchased recently.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It might just be the PSU, depending on the age & model #, but you should probably confirm that it's not overheating with a tool like HWiNFO before ruling it out.

Alternatively I've seen sudden power-offs happen on a board with a misaligned PCI card. I'd verify that any PCI/PCI-E cards are inserted correctly and check that nothing fell behind the board like a loose screw.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

FCKGW posted:

Congrats, you're mining bitcoins for China
That's definitely a possibility. Check for weird high CPU usage in task manager and make sure nothing looks odd there like having iehighutil running.

Other than that it's possible the fan(s) on the card died which you could check while it's running, and the thermal material between the GPU and the card's heatsink might need to be replaced after 4 years.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Crotch Fruit posted:

Thanks for the tip, 3D Mark 11 kept crashing out claiming it couldn't get exclusive access to the display and keyboard but the other benchmarks and my games have failed to crash this card. I think I'm doing something wrong, I simply find it hard to accept I got a functional GPU from craigslist.
If you're running something like displayfusion that does a screen overlay 3dmark11 will give that error. Looks like you got a working card for a good price after all.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Quality control on the Enermax Liberty models wasn't even that great when they were new. Time to replace it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Are you shipping the desktop via car/truck? If so I'd at least make sure that any harddrives were locked in place, and I'd remove any really big cards such as GPUs and ship them separately. If you have a large aftermarket CPU cooler you should remove it before shipping.

If this is a commercial shipping company you're using, I'd remove anything I could and ship them separately. Drives, cards, coolers, etc., take it all out of the box and ship it separately with antistatic bags and padding.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Honest Thief posted:

I'm planning on using some service like MRW or DHL.
Ship everything you can separately, and hope they don't knock any holes in your desktop case.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Honest Thief posted:

But they're paid professionals... that poo poo ain't right
Shipped a PC with FedEx once. Had to replace the board as the heatsink flexed the socket out of working shape, and the door on the case had to be removed completely as it was cracked and twisted up. Assuming any service like that that isn't a dedicated moving service is going to drop or toss your shipment so pack accordingly.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SlayVus posted:

I already purchased a Seasonic Snow Silent 1050w unit.
I have a 1050 XM2 from the same general series and it owns, you won't be disappointed. Depending on how much power you use it should be pretty quiet. I think the fan on my unit has only been on 3 or 4 times.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

MasterSlowPoke posted:

While cleaning I found some old parts in the bottom of my closet:

- XFX N650 Motherboard, with 4 sticks of what I assume are 4 gigs of DDR2 ram in it. there's a CPU in it but no heatsink, probably removed for space
- A never used heatsink for a Core I5 2500K
- A very well used heatsink for some sort of Intel processor, it might be for the motherboard or broken who knows
No one will pay much money for the heatsinks, but the CPU, RAM, and board would likely sell on eBay. Out of production RAM tends to sell well and someone will probably give you a few bucks for the CPU, less if it's not a quad core, more if it's like a Q9650 or something. The board and heatsinks I'd probably list them as-is and set them for bidding with buyer paying shipping.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

FaustianQ posted:

So I came into a handful of refurbished HDDs for extremely cheap, and am combing them over with CDI and trying to make heads or tails of whether they're any good or not. Reallocates Sector Count is 100 [Current], 100 [Worst] and 5 [Threshold] with a raw value of 1, exactly how hosed is this disk? I'm not sure how to read the data, but my understanding is that while something bad happened, as long as the threshold values comes nowhere near Current/Worst then it's okay?
If raw value is >0 it's on its way out as that number will just keep going up. Might be usable for a portable drive but I wouldn't trust it with anything critical.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

nigga crab pollock posted:

I've never messed with crossfire and i don't really know if it's worth it plus my poo poo is ancient, tell me if i should do it.

I just got a 6950 from a friend of mine. he did that fuse cutting thing that unlocks it into a 6970. I have a 6870. They aren't the same card but they're so drat close i don't think it's much of a problem, right? My current garbage amd board doesn't have 2 pcie x16 slots but the new motherboard i bought does. I've got a 650w power supply and i have no clue if it will run two xbox huge video cards but i'm pretty sure it has 4 pci power cables. New processor is a G4400 which is underwhelming but a massive upgrade from a dual core phenom

I've heard that there's compatibility and driver problems with crossfiring but i also haven't kept up with this poo poo, it's fine in tyool 2015 right? Also the important question is will i be able to play new games with this or are my cards just too fuckin old.
On top of what Alereon said, depending on your resolution and performance requirements a single 6970 might be just fine. When I was still running 1680x1050 I didn't really have any complaints about my unlocked 6950, although stuff like Far Cry 3 and Metro LL were starting to drag a little by the end.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Turds in magma posted:

Comcast just sent me an email, saying that I need to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to "take advantage of higher speeds" (sure......)
This is probably a good opportunity to just buy a cable modem and stop giving them 10 dollars a month like a chump.

Any reccomendations? They have a list of "approved" modems here: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Does it really make any difference which one I get? Or is this like network cards, in that they're all the same but you can spend money on l33t ones if you hate money
YMMV but the 6141 I demoed kept overheating so I ended up getting one of these instead (from Comcast's list above) :
http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem-5341J/dp/B0063K4NN6

Might have just been the unit I tried, but I haven't had any issues with the 5341J since setting it up with Comcast.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 7, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

teagone posted:

This was an interesting read, thanks. And yeah, I suppose I should consider my case with Antec PSUs an outlier. I've just had bad luck with other PSUs like the couple of Rosewill and EVGA ones. The longest running PSU I had was an Antec Neo HE 430W PSU that came with a P150 case that I had used in my first dual-core PC build circa 2005(6?). That PSU lasted roughly 8 years before I decided to swap it out for a VP450 when I upgraded the rest of the internals.
You're lucky then. Antec NEO units had appalling ripple, so if you had any cards or drives die suddenly, now you know why. I don't think they were ever as bad as the Bestec OEM units that were nearly guaranteed to kill boards with A/C noise at least.

Rosewill and EVGA use a lot of different OEMs, some good and some complete poo poo. You can't rely on name-only with power supplies unfortunately. It was only extremely recently that EVGA switched primarily to using superflower and seasonic for their higher-end models and became worth recommending over (at the time) far better alternatives. I'm glad they've pushed standards up, but I'm not convinced they'll be able to maintain it since the low prices they've got probably aren't particularly profitable with their component choices even on the lower-end, and right now it seems like they're depending on sweetheart deals with their OEMs to get into a dominating position in the market. They probably won't go up like BFG, but it feels kinda familiar from when they were hitting their stride.

At any rate, EVGAs success is making it more difficult for PSU companies to push old designs or pair decent (Teapo) primary caps with a mix of third or fourth-rate secondary parts like that inside those VP450s, and that's a very good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Moola posted:

Ok cheers I'll take your word for it

the puzzling thing is why the guy that had this before felt the need to stick a little dinky fan on there :confused:
I'd keep some kind of fan blowing on it if possible. Nvidia chipsets were notoriously unstable if they got too hot, especially if you were overclocking at all. If it's at stock settings you might be able to get away without it, but if it starts crashing or locking up the northbridge is likely overheating.