Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have an Intel NUC (MODEL: BOXDC53427HYE) and I want to get an SSD for it.

Can I just get any mSATA SSD or is there something special about these boxes that require a certain kind/speed/cache? I've been out of the hardware loop since I bought this thing in *checks notes* late 2013...
strangehampster in SAMart has a couple cheap MSATA SSDs for sale right now that'd work. Just about any MSATA SSDs would work for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Mitosisfish posted:

Hi Thread,

I'm looking to build a new PC with a Ryzen 3700 and 2070 Super. I've got an old Seasonic SS-1050XP 80 Plus Platinum PSU I'd like to keep using. From what I can tell there shouldn't be any issues, but I thought I would check with the experts first. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
There's more than enough power, but how old is it? If it's under 7 years old don't worry about it as it'll handle that CPU and videocard just fine.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I just use the A/C compressor from an air bed for anti dusting duties. No canned air purchases needed and no oil or moisture concerns.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Triikan posted:

I guess I've been lucky enough not to have to RMA a video card since I sent my Geforce 4 back to BFG, but is MSI's RMA process really bad, or is this industry standard now? Their quoted turn around time is 15 to 35 business days. 3 to 7 weeks?
What card is it? They keep pretty limited RMA stock IIRC. When I had to RMA a couple cards with MSI they had a max turnaround of 2 weeks, but this was for AMD 290s so it's been awhile.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
The cheap webcams tend to have OK sensors but lovely microphones. Most of them use basic Windows webcam drivers which will randomly stop working. Buy the Logitech or alternatively a Microsoft cam.

I bought a B920 right when lockdowns started and was glad I didn't wait later when they were impossible to find. C920 is the updated version.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It looks like you can fit a small AIO cooler on it in place of the CPU cooler. You're height-limited from the PSU so you can't really fit in any good air coolers.
It also looks like doing so would be a pain in the rear end as you will need to remove the pre-installed HSF bracket, but at least it's not one of the Dell boards that GN saw recently where the CPU cooler is secured to the frame of the PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53iF8ZzAgcw

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Lowclock posted:

Kind of related to the bluetooth stuff, anyone know if there's anything better for wifi+BT on an older AMD based system with only a half-size mini PCIe slot? The "best" thing I could seem to find was an Intel 7260, and that's almost older than the laptop. It looks like mini-PCIe to m.2 adapters are purely passive, so as long as it's something PCIe and not Intel's weird CNVi stuff it should work just fine, right? I'm trying to avoid USB stuff for packaging reasons.
I'm not sure if a passive adapter would work or not, but if it does then you could go with an AX200 card (WIFI6) or a cheaper 9260 card but you'll be limited to 5ghz AC with that. I'm limited to a 9560 on my Precision laptop at it has initial CNVi spec and 9260 on the older Latitude.
edit: AX210 should work OK.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 22, 2022

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Have you tried this:
Click Start menu, click Run (or press Windows + R), and then type joy.cpl in the Open line, and then click OK.
In the Game Controllers window, click your joystick and then click the Advanced button. Select Default/Reset to Default option.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

PBCrunch posted:

I installed Windows 10 on a computer for a friend's small business. Somehow I hosed up and there was a bunch of empty space at the "start" of the SSD. I include a crude diagram of the current layout of the disk below.

In the intervening time, the programs used for business have been set up on this machine. I don't want to fresh install again.

What will be the easiest and cheapest way to move that UEFI or whatever partition to the beginning of the drive and then expand the Windows partition to fill the currently unused space? This is for commercial purposes. I am not averse to using an open source tool that boots from a USB flash drive if it can do this work without wrecking the existing Windows install (bootable GParted?).

I have other SSDs I can use if some kind of cloning tool might do the job.
Gparted can do this. You'd need to move the first partition to the front of the disk. I'd recommend extending the primary partition in Windows diskmgmt.msc though rather than doing it through the same tool.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I've had both a Samsung 970 EVO and a 870 EVO fail actually. Read/write errors and bad sectors in the SMART logs, with media & data integrity errors in the NVME drive's case. Also seen a couple dead Crucial SSDs which stopped reading back data correctly and had to be junked. None of those errors were completely irrecoverable although some data was lost.

The only complete and total SSD failure I saw was an OCZ Vertex2 that ate itself in real-time, where the first indicator was that all of the windows control panel icons started vanishing.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

TheParadigm posted:

my quick questions of today:

Does thermal paste go bad(ins storage?
Is Arctic Silver 5 still one of the best/default brands?
I'd go with MX5 or Kryonaut over ceramique nowadays. TIM can separate out and anything that old almost certainly has done so.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Ofecks posted:

I'm considering buying a webcam for Zoom/telehealth usage. Previously, if I've done those things I just use my phone, but that's not a great solution. Ideally, I'd rather use my desktop PC / headset so I can communicate better.

I've never owned or used a webcam before. What do I need to know about them? I figure I don't need anything too fancy, 1080p30 would probably be sufficient. I won't be using its built-in microphone at all, and I'll likely keep the USB unplugged when not in use for privacy concerns, so a lens cap probably isn't necessary.

Any brands I should stay away from? I would guess that the ones I don't recognize on Amazon are no-go's. I'm not the biggest fan of Logitech products but they seem to be the most prolific for cams.
Get a Logitech webcam. They are the best quality for the price and they use actual drivers. Most of the cheap Amazon models either use MS drivers that can stop working randomly or just have awful reliability. If you just want something cheap get a C270. I'd spend a bit more for the C920s though, but I value the better image quality and better noise cancelling with the dual microphones. They also come with lens covers built-in.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
The drives that are included do not show up individually in diskpart. I just checked my system downstairs and diskpart shows disk 0,1,3, then 8, with 8 being the drives combined in storage spaces. Same thing in diskmgmt.msc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
If there's nothing in it you should be safe to delete the pool. You will most likely need to clean the disk from diskpart before reformatting it.