Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got an old rear end Logitech speaker system hooked up to my computer. It's got a subwoofer unit that plugs into my computer and then 4 or 5 speakers that I only use 2 of attached to it. Anyway the sub unit also has a RCA input. I have a laptop that runs a monitor on my desk and a headphone to RCA cable going to the sub. This lets me get audio from both my computer and laptop at the same time. But it causes light buzzing. Usually it's not noticeable if I'm just browsing but when I play games on my main it's louder and more irritating.

What is a proper setup for doing this? Run output from my desktop and the laptop to a receiver that outputs to speakers? Is there a step below that so I don't need a receiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Hooking up two inputs is causing a ground loop. You'll want a ground loop isolator:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ground...nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

Cool, thanks.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

A 1080 can run 3 monitors, at different resolutions. You will probably run into a frame rate issue if you have one that is higher refresh than the others. I don't think Nvidia has fixed this yet.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a 1440p 144hz gsync and a 1080p 60hz with a gtx 1080 and got the frame rate issues enough that I just quit using a second monitor this way. I haven't hooked it up in awhile, but the issue definitely used to exist.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sounds like you're missing a cable.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would suspect that the Apple trackpad is the best because their laptop trackpads are the best.

Earlier this year our head of HR had some kind of accident and her right arm was in a cast. She's right-handed so we got her a trackpad off CDW. I seem to recall the selection of trackpads there all seemed the same and were in the $50 range. I don't remember which one we ordered for her but she was happy with it until the cast came off.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Azhais posted:

I've heard that having two monitors with wildly different resolutions running off one card is a serious performance hit. Is that accurate? If so is it viable getting a dirt cheap $30 pci-1x video card to drive a browsing only second monitor?

Having different refresh rates is problematic on Nvidia.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Azhais posted:

The LG is 144hz and everything else I own is 60. Is the second card thing an option? I get conflicting reports from my google searches on how well Windows/Nvidia drivers react to such things

e: I suppose the three options as I see it if the refresh rate thing is a problem are:

1) deal with it and skip the second monitor
2) get a $30 video card and use a monitor I have
3) get something cheap like https://www.amazon.com/Acer-KG241Q-Pbiip-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B07MG85X1M/ so I just have two 144hz monitors

I don't know if a second video card will work or not. I have a 144 and 60 too, I did only really notice the problem when gaming on the 144. For awhile I just disabled my second monitor before playing. Then I switched to running the second monitor off my laptop and using Synergy to control it from my main keyboard/mouse. Now I do the same, but I have a dedicated second mini computer instead of the laptop.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

Also WRT wake on lan, its turned on in BIOS but i cant follow the steps in that site because the power management options just arent even there. I have a realtek GbE family controller, whatever they tossed into this b450

If those options aren't there under Power Management, check which drivers are installed. If it's Microsoft, you'll need to find and install the Realtek ones.

My second computer has an Intel nic and by default the MS drivers get installed, they show the settings in Power Management, but WOL will not work unless you install the official Intel drivers.

And my main desktop for some reason you can't enable WOL if you also enable USB wake up. Like I normally shutdown my computer when I'm not using it, and then just slap my keyboard to power it up. But with my current motherboard, you can't do that and have WOL enabled, it's weird.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Schiavona posted:

I have a Qnix 27'' IPS from back when you could get these Korean panels off eBay for less than $200, and a Dell adapter for DVI -> DisplayPort

Twice today, the screen was overlaid with pixels, first with an image loading behind it and then afterwards like this if I turned the monitor off and back on:

https://imgur.com/a/HSfIFeB

If I did a soft (?) restart of my computer, this is what I'd get:

https://imgur.com/a/qLO4mLk

To fix it, I have to do a full hold-down-the-power-button reset.

The gently caress is going on here?

Edit: It seems to happen often when I fire up YouTube TV?

This doesn't really help you, but back in the day I had one of those Qnix monitors too and mine every once in awhile when turned on would do that diag screen thing too. Just turning mine off than on again would fix it until a few weeks later it would do it again.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Axolotl posted:

I have a similar problem and am also looking for a solution. I have work and personal laptops that I'm trying to get to share a 21" HD monitor with only DVI input, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and possibly internet via ethernet. My laptops both have USB-C and HDMI. I've currently got my personal laptop hooked up to the monitor via an HDMI-to-DVI cable. So far I've come up snake eyes on an all-in-one solution, but I'll admit that I haven't looked very hard and maybe people with more knowledge about these things know of a solution.

If you're only trying to use 1 of those laptops at a time, you could just get a laptop dock.

Plug everything into this dock, you'll need to use that HDMI to DVI cable. Then you just plug the USB-C from the dock into whichever laptop you're using.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-WD15-USB-C-MONITOR-DOCK-WITH-POWER-ADAPTER-K17A-BLACK/124200866129

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

GeorgieMordor posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the range of these one-size-fits-all Logitech wireless dongles? I'm trying to use a K540 from my couch and the range seems like it gets flaky as far as 6 feet away from where the USB dongle is physically plugged into my computer. Max distance I'm away from it is only like, 8 feet maybe. 10, tops.

Are some wireless keyboards more responsive at a distance than others?

I've got 2 devices paired with this dongle:
- K540 Keyboard
- M720 Mouse

Mouse has no issues whatsoever. Just the keyboard.

Is that the unifying dongle (has a little orange star on it)? We have tons of those at work, they are standard issue for every employee and in our conference rooms. I just tested my M585 and it worked ~18 ft away, that's about as far as I can get and still see my screen.

My home computer mouse uses their Lightspeed dongle and I believe has even further range, but these can't share dongles. It's 1 device per.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I have an Asus x570 tuf gaming mobo that I need to RMA, and the instructions say I need the CPU covering plate it came with. I'm trying to find it now, can anyone kinda show me a pic of what it should look like?

They typically look something like this:

I have an Asus B550 that definitely did not come with one though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a reason to hook a monitor up via display port vs using the HDMI port?

If you have a gsync monitor, then you have to use display port for it to work. Or I guess if you wanted to use the daisy chain feature of DP that I've only seen on a few monitors.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

Assuming the supply issues aren't still completely broken - looking for a rec on a webcam.

Have been doing tons of teams meetings since March without a camera, but it's been requested that I get one. I've installed an app to use my iphone in the meantime,but positioning it is a bit of a pain and think I'd just prefer an actual webcam that I can attach to the edge of a monitor.

I assume a majority of them come with built in mics, though it's not needed. I have a decent little directional mic already.

So - recs on a webcam for typical work from home team meetings? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, though it would be nice to be a step above grainy garbage.

We've bought quite a few of these for Skype and Zoom. Haven't heard anyone complain yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Microphone-Computer-Streaming-Superior/dp/B085STB7FR/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Charles posted:

I have an i7-7700 based system with 2x8GB. I want to upgrade to some more RAM since I hear it's cheap. Should I buy the same kind (it's $60 on Newegg) or should I get something else for some reason?

You should buy the same kind. Ddr4-2400 is the max speed for that processor so no reason to get anything else.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

We have hundreds of the Logitech M510s at work, I haven't heard any complaints about them. And I use a G305 at home and it's worked great. I used to have problems with the click mechanism, but some time ago Logitech switched to a different click thing and since then they've been ok for me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, at least hackers will have an easy time with the company you work for.

post links

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What are my options if I want an indoor security camera. It must not require any dumb poo poo like setting up an account with the company or cloud services or anything like that. I want to run it in my apartment, off a vm on my server, recording to my nas.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FCKGW posted:

You'll want an IP camera that has ONVIF/RTSP support. Most consumer focused cams will do all the cloud poo poo because it's the simplest and easiest way to watch video remotely so you'll either need to look at more IP Cam focused hardware like Hikvision and Dahua or cheaper ones like Reolink and Amcrest, or find some custom firmware for consumer cams like Wyze offers.

I like the Wyze cams because they're cheap and decent, and they just put out a custom RTSP firmware this month to allow local access.
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

Rexxed posted:

FCKGW's post is probably what you should do but you can also do the comedy option of a raspberry pi + camera running motioneyeos if you really want to control your own stuff. You can run iSpy (free but a little clunky) or BlueIris (paid and pretty nice) on a windows vm to get the stream from any camera and they both can provide a webserver for LAN access if you want to view them on devices (which you could optionally port forward but you know, probably not securely). I've got a couple of foscams and a wyze cam (running the dahuahacks firmware) streaming to ispy64 here keeping an eye on mouse traps so I don't have to go check them in the basement every day.

Thanks. Think I'll start with a Wyze with iSpy and see how that works out.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Rolo posted:

Didn’t we have a desktop speaker thread at some point?

My new monitor comes today and I’m losing the built in speakers of my old one. I just need a passable 2 speaker system for message beeps and YouTube. Anything nicer than that goes to my TV sound system or headphones.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

I have a Dell Latitude E5450, it's treated me well so far, decided to max out the RAM and noticed the battery appears to be stock (it's dated to 2015.08.). The battery life is not spectacular (~2\3 hours depending on what I'm doing and what settings I have on) but I usually use it when it's plugged in anyway. Am I exposing myself to any risks by continuing to use this old battery, or will I be fine outside of continually declining battery life? I'd really not spend half of what I paid for the machine just on a new battery, but if I'm risking leakage or performance loss I'd bite the bullet.

The only worry is if/when the battery expands. Have you checked Amazon for knock off batteries? They are usually pretty cheap, although they are very hit and miss in terms of battery life.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I had a nuc about 4 years ago and i liked the little form factor but it didn't take much for the fan to spin up and be pretty noisy.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Weird question, I thought I remember someone posted about a mini vacuum that was good for cleaning keyboards? I get all these dirty keyboards cycled in for work and would like to clean them. Amazon seems full of rebranded junk and there's no real way to know if the comments are to be believed.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use Clonezilla to do that. https://clonezilla.org/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ajaxify posted:

I'm in this exact same situation except my monitors are DP.

I'd consider trading both monitors between the two PCs, but one of them is a high refresh rate gaming monitor and I haven't seen any KVMs that are likely to work for that. So anything reliable with a single DP functionality would be best. I don't even mind switch peripherals if I have to.

Please help us goons. Surely one of you is neckbearded enough to still be using a physical KVM switch in your home in TYOOL 2021

One option is to just remote desktop into your work laptop if you're able to.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Fireside Nut posted:

Hey thread, if this post should be directed to different thread, my apologies. I did try to look around before :justpost:

Anyways, I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a laser printer. I have a pretty old inkjet that is on the fritz. I don't use it for much other than printing out text documents, return slips, and the occasional basic image, like the outline of a children's coloring book page. I would like to have something with auto-duplex, wireless, and preferably color. Beyond that, I don't think I need any other bells/whistles like scanning, etc.

I'm looking at a few options but don't know if there's a 'go-to' that this forum likes. I'm certainly open to any recommendations beyond these:

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-LBP622Cdw-Wireless-Printer/dp/B07QBR7JFV/ref=psdc_172648_t2_B07T6PGM4J

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L...30343047&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Lexmark-C3224dw-Wireless-Capabilities-Full-Spectrum/dp/B07T6PGM4J/ref=psdc_172648_t5_B07QBR7JFV

Thanks!

I have a BW laser from Brother and if I were buying a color, they'd be the first company I would look at. The thing just works, don't need to install a bunch of software or subscribe to some bullshit. The one time I tried printing from my phone it worked too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My Dell experience is if you're a corp customer and buy prosupport, the reps are actually empowered to do things to help you. If you have to deal with the non prosupport as a normal customer you're hosed.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a Dell WD19 dock, obv works great with my work Dell laptop. I haven't investigated very far, but my M2 Air charges fine and one monitor is ok. I guess that I can't do 2 external monitors with an M2 or something anyway. The Ethernet on the dock wasn't showing up, not sure if that is fixable.

edit: Ethernet works too. This is a great dock, if the laptop supported it the dock can do 3 monitors too.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 21, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That was nice, Best Buy chat person let me price match Microcenter on an Intel cpu, even though I don't have a Microcenter nearby.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Guess I need a new power supply too. Ordered an i7-13700k without looking at how much power it pulls. That plus my 3080, I think I need like 850w?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't know if you'd really call it a usb connector, but there's a square one you'll see for things like monitor hubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I would think that could be done right now.