Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Itd be cool if some of the money that goes into the annual stupid random celebrity sponsorship could go into some dedicated servers but cest la vie or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

cant wait to play 2k16 story mode and hear the exact same white texture artist moonlighting as voice actor struggling to sound cartoonishly urban but this time with loud anachronistic horns and strings drowning out all the ambient sound making the whole thing sound like its being recorded inside a 1940s grandmother's gramophone

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
One thing that always stuck out to me with NBA2k is that CPUs all run the same set plays. You only have to memorize three or so movements and you can predict and cut off passing lanes every single time. I wish they'd implement either more plays or have players creatively get open in non-set plays.

2k16 also needs:

- Coaches and Staff to actually affect franchise modes in impactful ways. There's pretty much no difference between having an A+ staff and a F staff during simulation or in game performance.

- MyPlayers that don't automatically start out lovely. I know it's their business model to sell points but drat does it always such to be the undrafted second rounder in these games.

- Free throw camera angles could use a tweak. There's a bunch of times where I use the default cam and I can't see my guy performing the FT because the opponent's SF is standing in the way.

- Smarter coach AI in MyPlayer. You really should be benched if you're up by 40.

- Fix AI lobs. It gets ridiculous that I never lose versus Chris Paul because the AI will just toss the lob straight out of bounds six times a game.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Doltos posted:

One thing that always stuck out to me with NBA2k is that CPUs all run the same set plays. You only have to memorize three or so movements and you can predict and cut off passing lanes every single time. I wish they'd implement either more plays or have players creatively get open in non-set plays.

2k16 also needs:

- Coaches and Staff to actually affect franchise modes in impactful ways. There's pretty much no difference between having an A+ staff and a F staff during simulation or in game performance.

- MyPlayers that don't automatically start out lovely. I know it's their business model to sell points but drat does it always such to be the undrafted second rounder in these games.

- Free throw camera angles could use a tweak. There's a bunch of times where I use the default cam and I can't see my guy performing the FT because the opponent's SF is standing in the way.

- Smarter coach AI in MyPlayer. You really should be benched if you're up by 40.

- Fix AI lobs. It gets ridiculous that I never lose versus Chris Paul because the AI will just toss the lob straight out of bounds six times a game.

It doesn't take too many games to turn into Labron James if you're not completely awful at the game. Or just turn down the difficulty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know if it's because I'm on year 4 of mycareer where things break really bad, but

GET OFF THE COURT

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

Well, some of this is because even great players tend to not be actually really effective in the NBA until their 2nd or third year, and by year 2 you probably should be in the 70s or 80s or higher without buying points in 2K. Guys don't come into the league being starter-on-a-contender level, and while the abstraction with points isn't the best way of showing it, its probably the best way you can do it in the game.

Also, if you started already really good there wouldn't be much progression in the game. That's something that makes MLB player-progression better for a game, you have a graduated AA, AAA, MLB levels to work your way through. If you started as a 36MPG starter you'd really have very little room to grow.

I do think what would be cool is having multiple "paths" you could pick, like top-5 guy, lottery guy, or out-of-lottery flier, with the lower tiers having worse stats but bonuses to your point generation.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lockback posted:

I do think what would be cool is having multiple "paths" you could pick, like top-5 guy, lottery guy, or out-of-lottery flier, with the lower tiers having worse stats but bonuses to your point generation.

I think this would be the best way to go about it, maybe tie it in to what difficulty you start your career with too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You know how in games you sometimes start with all your cool abilities and powers and then lose them after the prologue?

They should do that here by having the beginning set in the Chinese Basketball Association

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You know how in games you sometimes start with all your cool abilities and powers and then lose them after the prologue?

They should do that here by having the beginning set in the Chinese Basketball Association

There is a legend here, he came and dominated the League. The best player to ever play in the Chinese leagues. You are following in his legacy. Will you live up or will you falter.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Hey PC virtual basket fans 2k15 is on Steam summer sale for $20 right now.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Cbl is a thing? I bet yao ming was Michael Jordan x1000 in that league.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Cbl is a thing? I bet yao ming was Michael Jordan x1000 in that league.

marbury is literally the goat there

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I heard that NBA 2k15 is very heavy on specs, is this true? I want to buy it, but am wary that it will not run that well (fluid, mostly 60fps) on my PC. However, mind that my native resolution is 1600x900 and idgaf about playing games at all maximum settings. I have a i5-3570, GTX 660 and 16GB of RAM.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

I heard that NBA 2k15 is very heavy on specs, is this true? I want to buy it, but am wary that it will not run that well (fluid, mostly 60fps) on my PC. However, mind that my native resolution is 1600x900 and idgaf about playing games at all maximum settings. I have a i5-3570, GTX 660 and 16GB of RAM.

I have a 1280x720, 650 gtx, and i3 and it runs fine on my rig.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mystic Stylez posted:

It will run fine. You might have to turn down the AA a bit but yeah. you should be good.

It ran on my old PC perfectly fine. AMD Phenom 2, GTX 560TI, 12 GB of ram. And that was at 1080p

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mystic Stylez posted:

You should be fine, it's heaviest demand is on the GPU and and my GTX 460 runs it just fine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When did this series get so up its own rear end? I had 2k13 a long time ago and had a lot of fun with my player on it, so I got 2k14 recently since it was cheap, but 2k14 is so different in the worst ways that I can hardly stand to play it anymore. I just wanted to pick this game up and make everything easy so I could dominate whenever I played, which was gonna be rarely, but on the lowest difficulty (which by the way, the difficulty names are retarded and I actually had to google whether superstar or allstar was the lowest setting), I've lost like 8 of my last 9. My team contributes nothing, and I can expect about 10 points out of them for every 40 I score outside of simulations. Even when I just pass it to someone else and let them try and make something happen without me messing it up, they can't do anything at all by themselves, so it's not just my fault. Meanwhile, the opposing 4-8 team knocks down wide open 3's and alley oops it all over the place like the goddamn dream team. There's absolutely 0 sliders or changes you can make in the settings to change gameplay, so there's nothing I can do about it. I've watched probably 2 hours of tutorial videos, put ten hours into the game, played every tutorial multiple times, and there's still runs where we'll go 10 trips without getting a single point, and I'll have a D+ team rating. The ball bounces off legs or gets knocked away almost every time I try to dribble move into the paint, I'll regularly miss 12 footers where my release is A- or better, every inside pass is knocked away, and intense d or no, anyone can blow right by me. Mind you, this is after using cheat engine to boost my stats up big time because I wanted to play as a top tier prospect and not a bum poo poo retard who stumbled rear end forward into the league. You didn't used to have to spend 40 hours on these games just to be somewhat competent on the lowest settings.

Is there any way I can make this not a huge pain in the rear end other than just "get better?" I could probably spend another hour or so practicing at something if there's some easy dribble moves or defensive tactics for my player that would have me wrecking poo poo, but honestly if there's no way to dick with the settings or something like that, I'll probably just uninstall because this is already taking entirely too much investment when I just wanted to have this in my library to casually play sometimes.

Edit: OK there's rookie and pro difficulty settings in the main menu, but neither are options in my my career. What in the gently caress.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 25, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
You shouldn't have bought 2k14 at this point, it had a lot of issues due to console transition and an intentional effort to make something different than the 360/ps3 game. 2k15 is way better, and so even more so for 2K16.

I can't remember since I haven't looked at the UI from 2K14 in a while, but you might be able to change the difficulty of MyCareer while you're not in a game, but I could be remembering 2K15

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 25, 2015

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If you got 2k14 at this point you've made a terrible mistake

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
2k15 was an improvement over 14. myCareer is also a bad place to start (though its better in 2k15). Your player is bad, and in general you have only so much control over team success. It's really meant for someone who is already at least alright. Generally, play season mode or something and get used to the game with players with actual skills, it makes myCareer much better.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Played my first and last game of MyTeam online, jesus christ, it's such an exploit ridden piece of poo poo. The guy I played made no attempt at defence and constantly planted himself for charges starting from the backcourt, when he took possession he literally only shot 3's and zig zagged around until my player couldn't keep up, what a loving mess.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Played my first and last game of MyTeam online, jesus christ, it's such an exploit ridden piece of poo poo. The guy I played made no attempt at defence and constantly planted himself for charges starting from the backcourt, when he took possession he literally only shot 3's and zig zagged around until my player couldn't keep up, what a loving mess.

For what it's worth, I just tried this mode again yesterday for the first time in months and it seems like the infuriating half second of lag for every input was gone. Everything you said it still true, but I learned that playing defense off the ball and double teaming guys when they try to drive beats these guys pretty easily. Once you get out to a double digit lead and sometimes less they'll get really frustrated and quit. The only thing that bothers me about MyTeam now is that there's such little payout per game that you can't realistically save up to buy a really good player. They pretty clearly want you to spend real money on card packs, but whenever I've bought them with VC I'll get like Shannon Brown and a card to heal one game's worth of arm injuries. That, and the fact that you can't play other people's teams offline like in The Show.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2015

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

MyTeam is so unlike basketball that I will probably never play it again. The seeds where you are limited in the number of gold+ players are way more fun. Once you get to the unrestricted lineups you're facing LeBron James as every point guard making using anyone under 6'8 useless. If you didn't start myteam from the beginning you will never have the kind of team some people are putting together unless you spend hundreds of dollars on VC, and even then it's all chance.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
If you want a good myteam team, do the domination challenges. I've got like lebron and KD and kobe and shitloads of other 'top' players just from that.

And pink diamond shaq from twitter.

Not that there's anyone to play against on pc.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Super important question: is elfrid payton's hair an option for my career in 2k16?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I tried to load up a roster after the trade deadline, but now it won't load in mycareer when it's done it before. I'm stuck on Maverick-Rondo despite selecting the offseason roster like 10 times. On PC.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

The achievements leaked for 2k16 and apparently includes college basketball in some capacity, summer league, and the ability to relocate teams. Also an achievement for "admit the uncomfortable truths in your life," poo poo's gonna get real in this basketball video game.

http://www.trueachievements.com/NBA-2K16/achievements.htm

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also some dude named Vic

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I am cheering on myPlayer going down a long strange trip into organized crime and NBA basketball

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Come on guys, don't spoil the rich and engaging story mode in my basketball game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

I am cheering on myPlayer going down a long strange trip into organized crime and NBA basketball

If I can't become a Sam Hurd like figure in MyPlayer then what is the loving point.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It sounds like there's gonna be a pretty big focus on the whole social side of things, there's an achievement for going to 10 social events, calling press conferences, etc.

Sounds pretty awesome, actually. I mean, obviously the on court stuff needs to be good, but it's nba 2k, I think that's pretty much a given at this point.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

College ball and summer league sound great. More social events and off-court stuff sound dumb. Non-games where I get yelled at by coach after practice because I didn't score an A+ was loving annoying. Dude I'm averaging 40/15/5, why the gently caress are you yelling at me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope the draft combine, draft showcase game, and summer league are all in the mode personally

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

I hope the draft combine, draft showcase game, and summer league are all in the mode personally

I did actually like that they broke it up and had you play as an undrafted guy last year, I thought that was creative.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tae posted:

So I tried to load up a roster after the trade deadline, but now it won't load in mycareer when it's done it before. I'm stuck on Maverick-Rondo despite selecting the offseason roster like 10 times. On PC.

So does anyone have a solution to my problem? I really want to play 2k15 again, but roster problems.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

I did actually like that they broke it up and had you play as an undrafted guy last year, I thought that was creative.

Me too, good way to get around the rosters not changing even though you took someone's draft spot. Also allows you to pick your team after the first season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

So does anyone have a solution to my problem? I really want to play 2k15 again, but roster problems.

On the Xbone version I went into quick game, hit the roster button at the team select screen, downloaded the most recent custom roster, exited out to edit the past 2 days of changes, saved, went back into quick game, and then used the edited version of the downloaded roster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spacebump posted:

On the Xbone version I went into quick game, hit the roster button at the team select screen, downloaded the most recent custom roster, exited out to edit the past 2 days of changes, saved, went back into quick game, and then used the edited version of the downloaded roster.

Nope, still stuck with Rondo-Maverick. Thanks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Me too, good way to get around the rosters not changing even though you took someone's draft spot. Also allows you to pick your team after the first season.

And your first season was kinda short since you started around the trade deadline. It got you to the off-season which is always fun, but took forever in the older games.

• Locked thread