Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Russia is not going to attack Poland, full stop. As mentioned earlier, European militaries alone outnumber the Russian one, and with Turkey at the southern border it's almost double. The decision makers in Kremlin aren't insane, I'm guessing they'll ease tensions after they get whatever they want in Ukraine, satisified with "Standing up to the west" and "proving a point" to whoever tries to challenge the Russian influence in the old bloc countries. Just a shame they'll leave behind a ruined country and another destroyed image of Russians abroad. Not to mention what's going to happen to any-non Russians living in the contested territories, if Crimea is anything to go by.

The odds of Russia joining NATO are higher than them going full clancy and invading the rest of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Majorian posted:

This will have no negative consequences for anyone.:waycool:

Well, it's not like they're shelling them or anything like that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Russia is not a superpower anymore, live with it and join the rest of the modern world. Also nobody wants to invade Russia, almost every nation in the west would prefer that Russia just sit in their own corner and sell them cheap gas and oil, there's literally nobody outside of crazy clancychat sites and people who're writing a book/a game that even talks about it.

And lol seriously, you guys are still salty about the Swedes?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Majorian, your entire argument seems to revolve around the rest of the world outside of The West being willing to side with these bizarre Russian plans to destabilze the entire planet just to stick it to the US. Do you seriously think China wouldn't have any problems with Russia supplying nukes to North Korea? They're already grumbling about them as it is.

Also, your energy argument is nothing more than the old Russian Über-slavs that can withstand any hardship vs The Decadent West that crumbles at any inconvenience. Hint: One of the reasons Putin is so popular is because he's seen as having brought some sort of economic stability and certainty.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 25, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Majorian posted:

Well, first of all, I don't think I'd consider China to be "The West."
Yeah, uh, that was my point.

Majorian posted:

Secondly, like I said earlier, what is China likely to do if Russia sends North Korea dual use technology? Especially if it's smuggled in without China's knowledge. As the AQ Khan network demonstrated, that's not a terribly difficult thing to do. ProfessorCurly is probably right that it's not the strategy Russia would take to undermine the US' interests if we were in Cold War II, but it's just one possible example out of many.
You don't think they have oversight over their neighbouring state that owes their entire existance to Chinese financial and material aid? Oh, they'd know, most likely in advance. Then they'd probably tell Russia to gently caress off and mind their own business.

Majorian posted:

No, it has more to do with the fact that Putin has a high enough approval rating that he can weather the political storm to a degree that Merkel or Hollande probably aren't.

If Russia decides to isolate itself and cut the flow of oil and gas, you can be damned sure that the political and popular climate is gonna change in Europe. I wouldn't be surprised if politicans that promised to "Stick it to the Russians" by refusing their demands and focusing on finding alternative energy sources or trade partners would boom in popularity, it might even unite people from across the spectrum.

All of this is hypothetical of course, since the Russian decisionmakers aren't suicidal.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread