Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

sword_man.gif posted:

i just wanted to make fun of him for shits but then people started getting all serious and hardnosed about it

why can't we just have a good time making fun of a fat man who wears a fedora

I'm just annoyed that he did barely anything and got super rich for it.

Meanwhile I'm doing barely anything and poor.

(prob the opinion of a lot of people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Concordat posted:

Meanwhile I'm doing barely anything and poor.

(prob the opinion of a lot of people)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

i think he's a fat bumbler who mostly lucked into his money by being in the right place at the right time with the right product that basically exploded and then became mega popular, then it nearly died off except for the huge modding community that sprang up and vastly expanded the game to the point where minecraft was more of a base than a game

like if the modding community didn't exist minecraft would have died off a long time ago because you look at what they add officially and it's completely clear they have no idea what people want (hot tip it's not stupid-rear end grindy boss fights that drop utter garbage)

the underwater temple they were working onf or the next update requires enchanted diamond poo poo and has three underwater bosses so you need constant light potions/underwater breathing

your reward is blocks of gold

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im happy for the guy because i like playing the game he made and my little autistic brother in law does as well so good for notch

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also, i'm hyper gay

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

Foxhound posted:

he can buy a hot wife now

Didn't he get divorced

I didn't even notice

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
just FYI there's a shitload of internal conflict going on at Microsoft over this deal. Loads of people disagree with how much they spent on a single property. And while Microsoft has a ton of money, they feel it could have been spent better elsewhere. You could have gotten an established property like Elder Scrolls and then some for this amount.

Not only that it set a bad precedent and you have indie devs calling up trying to get some of the billions now. And most are just half finished crap like Star Citizen.

Some also who may or may not be Phil Fish too.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

For real?

Lol if true

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Widestancer posted:

For real?

Lol if true

Fez 2 wants to be the most expensive 16 bit looking piece of poo poo ever.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

Fez 2 wants to be the most expensive 16 bit looking piece of poo poo ever.

I hope people aren't actually excited for that.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
ms said in the press release that they're planning to break even on this by fy15 so they're either going to loving squeeze the brand dry for every penny or they have some amazing thing up their sleeves to make 2.5b on loving mojang in a year

my personal bet is that microsoft game division is fulla dummies, and as for my evidence *wheels out xbone on squeaky cart*

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Dammit I wish Fish hadn't closed his twitter account the meltdown would have been wonderful.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
optimizing the xbox version and giving it more pc features would probably get them a shitton of money

then adding some dlc stuff

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor Goat posted:

optimizing the xbox version and giving it more pc features would probably get them a shitton of money

then adding some dlc stuff

minecraft to date hasn't made 2.5b tho

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't know how much the split is between mojang and microsoft but they've sold 54 million copies at $20 on xbox 360 without any sort of microtransactions, and microtransactions would send that poo poo through the roof

2.5b is kind of ridiculous but i can see how they could market it and make a good deal of money beyond what mojang can, and it'd also either deprive sony of it or make them pay licensing fees and get a worse product

edit:

prepackage mods like redpower, charge $2 for them, make it so you can't play on an online server (does 360 minecraft even have online) unless you have all the packs or get a compat pack that doesn't let you use the blocks and destroys them if you break them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Minecraft mods are mostly to make the program some easy to use modeling program with a game base so people can dick around in their made up worlds. Yes it has some form of art direction that became well known but it's something that could have been easily competed against if you had a dedicated team. Level editing in games is possible to make easy and accessible which was one of minecraft's main draws since stuff like 3Ds Max and Maya use IK chains and rigs for animation which the average person isn't going to have the patience to put up with. But Minecraft was prime for refinements there's poo poo in there that's limited that you could have built upon with a newer series.

Hell you could have made a newer Dark Cloud game with more advance building tools and that poo poo would have been probably deemed good.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

The Taint Reaper posted:

just FYI there's a shitload of internal conflict going on at Microsoft over this deal. Loads of people disagree with how much they spent on a single property. And while Microsoft has a ton of money, they feel it could have been spent better elsewhere. You could have gotten an established property like Elder Scrolls and then some for this amount.

Not only that it set a bad precedent and you have indie devs calling up trying to get some of the billions now. And most are just half finished crap like Star Citizen.

yeah 2.5 billion probably could have ended the ebola outbreak.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bukkits posted:

Didn't he get divorced

I didn't even notice

yeah she married him and then divorced him and got a lot of money and one of the minecraft main screen messages is still "notch <3 ez"

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

oddium posted:

yeah she married him and then divorced him and got a lot of money and one of the minecraft main screen messages is still "notch <3 ez"

drat notch seems like a cool guy but seems like he doesn't really have a spine irl.

like i could see him when me and my buds are going out to get some drinks and he's like 'oh. . .ok i'll just stay here alone' like dude get your dick wet what are you doing

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

oddium posted:

did she share her money with mojang employees because if not shes literally hitler

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Blackheart posted:

did she share her money with mojang employees because if not shes literally hitler

no because she didn't sell to microsoft who, as we all know, routinely harvest their employees for organs and sell their children into sex slavery and all that is now on notch's head.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

wait, are you in the microsoft employee chain? can you give us juicy details of poo poo or am i just taint reaped again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VideoGames posted:

wait, are you in the microsoft employee chain? can you give us juicy details of poo poo or am i just taint reaped again

Aren't we all being taint reaped, in a way?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Mr. Pumroy posted:

no because she didn't sell to microsoft who, as we all know, routinely harvest their employees for organs and sell their children into sex slavery and all that is now on notch's head.

poo poo i better warn my bro who wants to work at microsoft

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

someone move this thread to games and make it the official minecraft thread

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VideoGames posted:

he makes poo poo up for attention

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

elf help book posted:

Warplots

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
im mad at the cruel uncaring universe, where is my manna from heaven

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

loving hell mother loving taint reaped again jesus christ i am mad at myself

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Mcirsoft just fired like 50 thousand people to pay for minecraft, statistically someone has to be mad.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

oddium posted:

Wow that's actually a little heartbreaking. Didn't she marry him before he was successful though?

Maybe she was just applying the buy low sell high principle

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I played Minecraft for like a weekend in 2010 and it was pretty neat but basically "placing blocks: the game". Has it become something more since then? I guess I don't get what it is about it that required MS to shell out insane cash for the rights instead of making their own ripoff. Is the character of T-shirt Man that much of a draw?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The same people bitching about Notch in the minecraft thread are also active investors and posters in Starbounds thread

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe if Notch sold to Croberts instead of microsoft StarCitizen would have the Minecraft Module by now.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there should be a gang tag for people who have donated > 1000 to star citizen

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I played Minecraft for like a weekend in 2010 and it was pretty neat but basically "placing blocks: the game". Has it become something more since then? I guess I don't get what it is about it that required MS to shell out insane cash for the rights instead of making their own ripoff. Is the character of T-shirt Man that much of a draw?

Yeah I mean, that's what it'll always be. You can go and kill boss monsters and stuff now but it's still harvesting, mining and building out of blocks at it's core and always will be unless Microsoft has something to say about that

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

it was a really fun for pvp. since the entire world was malleable then you could make secret bases for your team and make hideouts and also traps.

the combat was simple but effective. had a lot of good times on open pvp servers.

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014

LaTex Fetish posted:

it was a really fun for pvp. since the entire world was malleable then you could make secret bases for your team and make hideouts and also traps.

the combat was simple but effective. had a lot of good times on open pvp servers.

it's a shame that many of the servers had to have protection blocks to prevent people from being lame

attacking someones base is fun but completely dismantling it to build your own or something in a night is kinda lame

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

AtlasToked posted:

attacking someones base is fun but completely dismantling it to build your own or something in a night is kinda lame

only if youre a whiny human being bitch who cant take anything 'wrong' happening ever. so instead of getting their base back like a goddamn man, they complain to admins.

which is why the game is lovely now because the community is lovely and poo poo like 'potions' and 'hungry meters' happen because idiots listen to the lovely community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

LaTex Fetish posted:

only if youre a whiny human being bitch who cant take anything 'wrong' happening ever. so instead of getting their base back like a goddamn man, they complain to admins.

which is why the game is lovely now because the community is lovely and poo poo like 'potions' and 'hungry meters' happen because idiots listen to the lovely community

lol youre complaining about 8 year olds

• Locked thread