Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Effectronica posted:

dungeon world isn't even the worst apocalypse world hack

they really aren't. they really, really aren't

for all of the bad design of 5e, it's definitely trying to create a more cohesive combat system than dungeon world, which is far more off-the-cuff than 5e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

again, 5e likes to pretend that it's a storygame that can compete with the best of 'em, but the majority of its core systems are focused on and relate to combat and dungeon crawling

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Vermain posted:

the majority of its core systems are focused on and relate to combat and dungeon crawling

if only these systems were any good, and not horse poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Asymmetrikon posted:

if only these systems were any good, and not horse poo poo

yeah im not arguing they're any good, just that "codified combat mechanics" are a core part of the D&D Feel despite all of the grog anecdotes about the time they swung off a chandelier onto a troll's back or w/e

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

for all of the bad design of 5e, it's definitely trying to create a more cohesive combat system than dungeon world, which is far more off-the-cuff than 5e

dungeon world is all about the dungeon crawl and the dndesque fantasy adventures, though. it's using different mechanics (and not that different in the cases of hack and slash and volley) to the same ends as any given dnd edition

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Soral posted:

hello, i played dungeonworld with some friends. our group is a mix of tabeltop neckbeards and regular people. everyone has fun with it. farewell

same but one of my friends is such a grog he ruined it by trying to rules lawyer his way out of the one point of damage he was going to take from purposefully sticking his hand into an alligator's mouth.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Machai posted:

same but one of my friends is such a grog he ruined it by trying to rules lawyer his way out of the one point of damage he was going to take from purposefully sticking his hand into an alligator's mouth.

condolences

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
It's apocalypse world for mental midgets, op.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
monsterhearts otoh is insanely loving win. What a cool game.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

d&d occasionally tries to masquerade as a storygame but it's straight up a combat simulation with roleplaying elements

D&D has become a D&D simulator; it is incredibly dumb and i have a lot of fun playing it :)

i never played dungeon world but it sounds like a less D&D version of D&D?

Eclipse Phase is pro-tier and i wish i could play more of it and any game i run from now on will either be Eclipse Phase or pretend to be some other game but is actually just Eclipse Phase in a simulspace

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
You're running eclipse phase? Could the legends be true? The man said to run games previously thought to be impossible... could he be real?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grim posted:

D&D has become a D&D simulator; it is incredibly dumb and i have a lot of fun playing it :)

i never played dungeon world but it sounds like a less D&D version of D&D?

Actually i would say that Dungeon world is a D&D simulator as it tries to simulate the feel of D&D without all the lovely rules

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Nihnoz posted:

monsterhearts otoh is insanely loving win. What a cool game.

Sounds gay.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Sounds gay.

it has mechanics for loving

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Maid RPG is fairly loving epic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Scyther posted:

Maid RPG is fairly loving epic.

that's the only good post made on this thread

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I feel like this Plutonis fellow maybe isn't a lovable as he claims

but i'm not sure more tests are probably needed.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

its a good game op

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

monsterhearts would be deece if they dropped the sex move mechanics that are as creepy as some of the poo poo white wolf did

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I feel like this Plutonis fellow maybe isn't a lovable as he claims

but i'm not sure more tests are probably needed.

how about a dinner i know a thai restaurant

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I think the warhammer 40k one with the inquisitors is worse.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

monsterhearts would be deece if they dropped the sex move mechanics that are as creepy as some of the poo poo white wolf did

what about apocalypse world

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Why do the trad games people and OP keep getting into fights

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Widestancer posted:

Why do the trad games people and OP keep getting into fights

i don't think you realize how grave an insult being called a hipster is

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
is 13th age supposed to be good?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

But this entire website is basically hipsterism in its distilled form

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

inSTAALed posted:

is 13th age supposed to be good?

it's

Widestancer posted:

jesus loving christ.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Widestancer posted:

lmbo

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i got called a hipster once and i asked him if a hipster would ask if he 'wanted to engage fisticuffs in the parking lot' and he said 'yeah' so i beat his little human being rear end up in the parking lot because he thought i was being ironic

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

LaTex Fetish posted:

i got called a hipster once and i asked him if a hipster would ask if he 'wanted to engage fisticuffs in the parking lot' and he said 'yeah' so i beat his little human being rear end up in the parking lot because he thought i was being ironic

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Widestancer posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Widestancer posted:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

i can't believe you called me a hipster in the loving imp zone

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this entire subforum is basically impsterism in its distilled form

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

me: what up holmes what dice you brought for today's game?
some guy: *in a homosexual lisp and a suspiciously semitic accent* well you shee i broughtsh shome d6es an there are shystems that only use thoshe...
me before i curbstomp that subhuman American history X style: gently caress you you will never take my D10s and D20s!!!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ralp posted:

this entire subforum is basically impsterism in its distilled form

good god ralp

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Sounds gay.

It's cool as poo poo. There are rules for socially cutting somebody so it turns into an arms race of being a dick to each other and ruining everything.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Torchbearer

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Sounds gay.

It's for queers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Elfgames posted:

Actually i would say that Dungeon world is a D&D simulator as it tries to simulate the feel of D&D without all the lovely rules
to me a big part of D&D is that it has lovely rules so you can laugh at them / ignore them :shrug:

• Locked thread