Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tiggum posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of this, and one thing is bothering me; What happens to his clothes? When he dies in the train crash the watch stays behind because he dropped it, but the clothes he was wearing (and presumably anything in his pockets) vanished with him, then he appears naked in the water. Where are his clothes? Where's his wallet? His phone? How does he get them back? He must be able to get them back or there's no way he would still have that watch.

Also I'm not keen on the nemesis thing so far, but I'm willing to believe that it could turn out OK.

Seriously though, what happens to his clothes?

And his body? does it just vanish? does it remain dead and he respawns in a new body? If so does he go back to his previous body to collect his gear like a video game? Maybe that's why he works as a medical examiner.

I like the show so far though.

Edit: just watched episode 2. Huh. Guess it does just vanish. that's odd.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

KatWithHands posted:

As long as you don't get too hung up on the technical stuff, this show is pretty fun. But then again, the same can be said about 80% of shows on TV today. I never watched New Amsterdam, so I went into this unbiased, and found it cute and charming enough to get into it pretty easily. Judd Hirsch has been my favourite go-to sage advice guy since Independence Day and Numb3rs, so that was a good draw there.

I liked that they mentioned he'd been experimented on before, though. With most shows like this, they're always stressing "If the authorities find out, who knows what they will do!" but in this he's just like "They did, and it was exactly as villainous as you'd think." The only thing I'm worried about getting old and goofy is how often he dies per episode. I know it's the whole premise of the show, and they at least made the aconite poisoning experiment seem partially useful to the plot, but they've made it seem in the past two episodes like he dies at least every other day. I hope as the show goes on, and they finish cementing the idea that it happens, that they slow down on it. (I'd actually written "He dies a lot more than the average person would" before I realized what I was saying :saddowns:)

I was going to ask if we were going to be playing the Who Is Adam's Voice guessing game, but then I checked out the wikipedia page for an unrelated reason and saw that they weren't actually keeping it secret.

Well I guess we won't be seeing too much of him then, he seems pretty busy on that other show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I always thought brain food was supposed to make you smarter...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wormil posted:

I missed ep2, did they already resolve the mystery caller/killer that says he is immortal?

No, there was no mention of it in the most recent episode. I'm guessing it's a long term thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That was a decent episode. I can't help but notice that Henry hasn't died in a while.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This week's episode was pretty great, probably the best so far. I'm really liking this show, it's a pity the ratings are so bad.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Another episode where Henry being immortal just doesn't come up at all. This premise is so wasted. He didn't even kill himself at the end to cure his bullet wound.

Well he did die in that flashback.

I'm actually pleased they aren't trying to force the gimmick by contriving a death for him every episode. It's an enjoyable procedural with an appealing cast and I'm happy for the immortality stuff to be on the backburner.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wormil posted:

Nah, Henry is played by a boring actor. He's just not lead material.

I like him. He was also good in hornblower.

Supernatural stuff aside it's a nice procedural with compelling characters that have good chemistry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

PaulDirac posted:

I had good hopes for them keeping good pace in the storyline. But after last episode im not so sure anymore. I think there is a big chance we get a castle-esque show out of this where it takes a fuckton of time for the plot to develop whilst filling time with solving random murders noone is really interested in.

It's first and foremost a procedural, and I have no problem with that. It reminds me a bit of bones, before bones went to poo poo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

New episode this week!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

For some reason 18 year old Abe has a totally different accent to older Abe, despite 10 year old Abe shown in previous episodes having an accent more consistent with current day Abe.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I agree. Even without the immortality stuff this is a very good procedural - Good cast with strong chemistry, interesting characters, intelligent, engaging cases. Kinda like Bones before it died and its rotting corpse was condemned to an eternity of servitude.

The fantasy quirk is just icing on the cake, but I wish they'd hurry up and bring Jo into the circle of people who know about it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.

He was found as a baby whilst liberating a concentration camp.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xealot posted:

Goddamn. Now I'm concerned this will happen and hate you slightly for suggesting it. That would suck terribly. Like Dracula 2000 all over again.

Adam is interesting, though, because he's basically Hannibal Lecter crossed with the Highlander. He's mostly a sociopath, but not all the time because certain human dilemmas affect him (such as Abe's search for his family.) I'm guessing he has some bizarre honor code behind his actions, and is used more as an anti-hero at some point.

Or he has a perfectly normal morality for someone who was born and raised, and probably spent multiple lifetimes in the era he was. Morality has changed dramatically over the past two millenia, and older people generally don't radically change their belief systems.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just a reminder, Show is back this week.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can genuinely say that this is one of those shows I eagerly look forward to each week. I'll be sad if it doesn't get another season. I think it's better than Gotham, and certainly much better than Madam Secretary, and both of those shows have been renewed. I'd even say if I had to pick one show to get a second season, I'd pick this over constantine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

If you watch Arrow then you already know how shes going to find out.

Manu Bennet in an eye patch is gonna show up, tell her Henrys immortal and then just bounce out of the scene

From the promo it looks like it will be more sleepy hollow style scenery chewing, given the impending presence of John Noble

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This has easily been the fifth best thing on television this past season and I desperately hope it gets renewed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This hurts almost as much as Almost Human last year. Shows don't get a chance to properly find their feet anymore. Great shows are killed off so that lowest common denominator drivel can keep getting shovelled at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BarbarousBertha posted:

While I agree that it hurt to lose the weekly shot of Karl Urban, Almost Human was a corporate meddling train wreck. There's really no comparison. Maybe Forever just wasn't Shondaland enough for ABC to take a chance on renewing it.

I don't doubt that Almost Human was Foxed up the Arse repeatedly. It had an even worse chance than this show did.

• Locked thread