Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
After The Listener ended I was craving another police procedural with a mysterious element, and this should do for a while. The 'Adam' b-plot can be interesting if they draw it out rather then dump it all at once.

I will say I have to actively suppress my ire that he can still function in modern society with all the computers and IDs and everything. One of the things I enjoyed about Forever Knight (mid 90s) (same premise only the main character is a vampire cop) is that he was always having to dance around his background and the rise of computers for tracking information and moved every 15+ years before his not aging became obvious.

I'll definitely follow it, but the ratings aren't super exciting, 1.7 in the demo and 8.5 viewers. That's likely to drop by a bit, and I don't know ABC's threshold for ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

I get the feeling that the show might not last unless you can get people on board for it. It doesn't seem like a lot of the "crime show plus sci-fi/fantasy element" shows fair very well on network TV, but I might be wrong. Of course, I'm thinking and stretching definition way out to include stuff like Brimstone, I think a couple of different vampire and werewolf cop shows, New Amsterdam, John Doe, Almost Human, a few different procedurals with a SciFi setting, etc.

I'm sort of curious how Gotham and Flash series on network TV will eventually fair.

Grimm has lasted 4 seasons as a popular show hovering around 6.5 million viewers, but it scores really high in the key demo. If Forever loses viewers and drops below a 1.3 in the demo it'll certainty get cancelled.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chapstickie posted:

I don't need a death every episode but I would love to see one episode where he dies a bunch of times. Just one, set over a particularly deathy few days.

If he died every episode it would get stupid really, really quickly.

Adam needs a bit more fleshing out, but it seems like they want to draw it out over the seasons before introducing more supernatural elements like Adam being 2000 years old. I kind of expect Adam to be much younger, like maybe a few more centuries older then Henry and has always been a bit of a misanthrope.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I want to like this show more, but they need to either reveal to Henry's immortality to the female detective or just stop constantly hinting at it every. single. episode.

We get it, lol he makes jokes about being older then he looks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frgildan posted:

I think the big danger is when Adam gets bored of Henry. The only reason he seems to have any interest in Henry is because he's something new after all this time. So when the novelty of messing with Henry is done what will he do next?

Adam claims to be 2000 years old right? And Henry is the first immortal he's ever met? I'm almost certain that Adam's endgame is to turn Henry to his way of thinking and finally have a friend to chat/hang out/won't die on him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Even though the latest episode pushed the main arc considerably forward (despite the convoluted plot and the story acrobatics that lead to the protagonist killing some random psycho) I can't help but wonder if this show aspires to be something unique and special.

Because so far it has zero or only few things going for it (I can only think of the relationship with his "son" and the occasionally reversed roles due to his... condition). The other stuff I have already seen before. I mean nothing stands out.

The secret that noone must know, because reasons. The multiple cop-outs until some people eventually find out (and probably one of them is the female interest). The killer of the week format with maybe a minor push of the main arc in the last 5 minutes. The main antagonist psychopath who remains hidden and slips away at the last moment (also revealing who he is so that the story progresses a few steps). The flashbacks whereby the immortal learns valuable life lessons or gets tortured (even dissected alive -elsewhere) etc.

If the creators have any (more) aces up their sleeves, perhaps they should play them quickly.

There are a few ways the show could move forward.

1- Adam has created a cult of fanatic followers willing to do whatever he says because he's promised them immortality, causes problems for Henry
2- Henry outs himself to the female cop, she freaks out but they work it out and dying/coming back becomes his super power to help solve crimes
3- Another immortal shows up to fight Adam, tells Henry that only Adam knows how to kill immortals, and there are a handful of Immortals still alive trying to stop him and keep "new" immortals safe from his depredations

I don't get the feeling the show wants to go all in on the immortality aspect, rather it wants that to be a undercurrent to a casual police procedural and just have Henry as a magical Sherlock Holmes. The problem is there are tons of shows currently one with a know-it-all main character detective, including a show with an actual Sherlock Holmes character so without a major hook this show is lost in the crowd.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

I didn't think I was the liberal type, but the whole angle of the generic Wall Street stockphoto studio being cartoonishly evil that the heroic cop gets to be smug about and gleefully threaten with rape in jail was a bit much.

I don't want to get mad at my guilty pleasure shows, stop it :(

"Cop casually mentions a suspect getting raped in jail as a tactic" is a fundamental part of TV cop shows and not likely to go anywhere for at least a generation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I like that they've made Adam as less of a completely evil monster and more someone who just got so over excited over meeting another immortal that he went too far. It'd be nice if they use the character more as someone who pushes Henry to embrace all the benefits of his immortality and is more of a morally ambiguous rear end in a top hat then a mustache twirling villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Oh man, imagine if someone decided to "mercy kill" Adam, that would have been interesting. I will miss this show, but at least it ended on a fairly happy note.

It was a perfect ending to the Adam vs Henry where Henry wins without surrendering what he's clung to since discovering his immortality.

All in all it was a great single season series that never really got bad and managed to be fun the entire time. It's a shame it got cancelled but it seems like most goods shows of the last few years die an early death because people would rather watch insane BS like Blacklist or BBT.

• Locked thread