Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
One episode in and I'm liking this show. 'Course, I've always had something of a bro-crush on Ioan Gruffudd :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Well he did die in that flashback.

I'm actually pleased they aren't trying to force the gimmick by contriving a death for him every episode. It's an enjoyable procedural with an appealing cast and I'm happy for the immortality stuff to be on the backburner.

Yeah, I want more of the Adam plot but they don't need to find a contrived way for him to die every episode. We know he comes back, and they can use it when it would actually drive the plot (the last episode I watched where Adam slits his throat to keep the cop buddy from discovering his 'secret' was really well done for example) but it would get really old if they were like 'ok, how do we have him die this week?'

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

pentyne posted:

Adam needs a bit more fleshing out, but it seems like they want to draw it out over the seasons before introducing more supernatural elements like Adam being 2000 years old. I kind of expect Adam to be much younger, like maybe a few more centuries older then Henry and has always been a bit of a misanthrope.

It felt to me like they were playing the 2,000 years thing straight. Especially the phone call at the end of the serial killer episode, Henry tells him he's nothing like Adam and Adam is all "Well, you're a young man". Seriously felt like they were setting up that Adam started off the same but after a couple millenium has gone past bored and into more of a dissociated apathy kind of deal.

The implication being that that is Henry's future.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ioan Gruffyd is great, they just need to move forward with the immortality stuff. A lot of recent shows have hit the ground running and just really push their plots, and I feel like that's a much better way to handle it than to try to drag it out over entire seasons with only hints of overarcing stuff here and there.

Kind of hoping the season finale has him dying right in front of whatshername (and/or the assistant ME) and then season 2 can pick up with the 'wtf is this Henry' fallout.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Season finale? You want them to wait entire first season before doing anything with the premise?

Well they're already halfway through a season or I would call it for a mid-season finale.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

BarbarousBertha posted:

Agreed. It's not like this is POI, which as I understand it sorta bait-and-switched the procedural fans with hiding its supernatural aspects. The supernatural premise is right up front so the slow pacing is bad frustrating not good frustrating.

Person of Interest? What? Maybe I should watch that...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Another episode where the premise is totally irrelevant. I'm beginning to think the writers are just loving with us. Either that or they just really wanted to make a generic cop show but needed the immortality gimmick to sell it, but never actually intended to use it.

I'm not sure you can really say this when the entire eleventh episode is about nothing except the immortality stuff. That reveal at the end. :stonk:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Decius posted:

I would have assumed that Abe's war buddies would have known Henry as Abe's "father" and that would have caused issues for him. But it seems he didn't invite them (or at least the one he still was talking with prior to this episode) over in the last 35 years.

Having just watched the episode, the dialogue came across to me as Henry never having met them. They were Abe's platoon in Vietnam or whatever, doesn't mean they ever met his 'father' after the war. And even if they know Abe's father is named Henry, he can just be 'yeah I named my kid after my dad, so what'

And while I get that this is a procedural, they don't need to take things as slow as they have been. Shows like Arrow are popular because they jettison most of the procedural filler stuff, while Forever feels like it's trying to fit the Castle mold of mostly filler with the occasional arc tidbit. I think that the whole Adam stalker bit in the 11th episode would have been a good place to bring Jo in, and they could have played the rest of the episode roughly the same (telling the LT he's just a crazy stalker, etc) but then you get to have Jo dealing with this crazy info and trying to come to terms with it. Hell, they're dancing around it about as closely as you can get already.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 13, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

This last episode was really good. Not sure how I feel about them walking Adam's motives back, though the way they did it was still pretty powerful.

I wish the 'mythology' stuff was a little more relevant to the modern-day stuff (honestly the flashbacks are reminding me of Highlander) but this is still an entertaining show.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I'm behind, I just watched the 70s roleplaying episode.

This show is really charming. I hope it's renewed. :ohdear:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I just finished the Empress of Africa episode, and if this show isn't renewed it will be a shame.

e: Holy hell the end of episode 21. :stare:

If this only gets one season the finale is going to be a bang, isn't it? :ese:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 26, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Polaron posted:

Please get a second season, Forever.

Another season for Forever, forever.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Now that's how you do a finale. drat.

At least if the show doesn't get another season that was a great note to end on.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

Anyone else think - for just a moment anyway - that they were going to up and kill Henry? I mean obviously they weren't going to but when Abe was at the river I was like, holy gently caress they might kill him. And I legitimately cared (for Abe and Jo at least, Henry probably would have been cool with dying)

A pretty drat good finale.

It's almost worse than that in a way. "Take a good look, Henry. This is what a good man looks like after two thousand years. :unsmigghh:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

One particular scene that struck me really hard was a few episodes back when Adam called to taunt Henry, then at the end of the call you see he's standing out on some naked girders above a road, just nonchalantly walking around on them. I got the vibe at the end of that scene that Adam is so jaded he'd just walk off those girders to get home because it would be faster.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Azhais posted:

Also, are we running with the assumption that the "weapon that killed you first can kill you last" theory has been disproven, or do we think that Henry/Abe hid a fake gun for Adam to use? Henry seemed legit scared of the gun, so I'm going with the former.

There's also a fake-out opportunity there - with Adam's pujio(?) obviously the knife is the knife, but with a musket is is the gun that's the weapon that killed you, or is it the ball? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

gently caress those assholes

• Locked thread