Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Got MWLL installed and surprised to find one semi-active server. Was nice getting reoriented with one or two live targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Got MWLL installed and surprised to find one semi-active server. Was nice getting reoriented with one or two live targets.

Awesome!

Does anyone know if there's any (un)written rules about joining certain servers? All the servers I can see are, well, oddly named and I'm wondering if that holds any meaning or if I should feel free to just jump in if I see any server active.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Shoeless posted:

Awesome!

Does anyone know if there's any (un)written rules about joining certain servers? All the servers I can see are, well, oddly named and I'm wondering if that holds any meaning or if I should feel free to just jump in if I see any server active.

no unwritten rules about joining certain servers that i've been able to find.
i hope some other folks start posting about getting the MW:LL software installed, so a goons Living Legends matchup happens..

there is at least one MW:LL server with near unlimited cbill balances for newbies.
so you can get a feel for how the various mechs, ground vehicles, and aircraft work.
i have no drat idea how to control the vtols....so i forsee lots of vtol training in my future.

I just posted the software links in the games MWO thread because i don't care about MWO at all.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 12, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
In the LL launcher there's a button to configure controls. I believe using that you can at least get an idea what the VTOL controls are.

Also, in case I conveyed this poorly earlier- I'm still very much psyched for a monday/tuesday night gae. The querying for a weekend one was in addition to, not in place of. So I hope to see some goons on, say, Monday evening at 9 CST!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To answer my own question: the Sierra Help Files guy doesn't do Windows 8 and his compatibility patch doesn't work on it. Running it in a VM sounds like much less trouble than running SQL Server on my desktop to troubleshoot a game I haven't played in 15 years.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

sorry no one could help you out.
windows 8 bones another retro-game fan, i guess.

despite owning mechwarrior 1*, even i forget it was made by dynamix.
and that dynamix's metaltech/earth seige series games were co-developed with FASA.
i guess FASA wasn't too sure if activision would do anything with the mechwarrior 2 series, and kept working with dynamix games as a failsafe plan.

looking at dynamix's wikipedia page, it's amazing looking at their published game list. so many forgotten, good titles that are perfect for a gog.com re-release.
with activision reactivating the sierra brand, i hope some more of the forgotten sierra/dynamix games will be re-released on gog.com

*easy to get running in DOSBOx too.
mechwarrior 1 manages to have a better storyline than the mechwarrior 4 games. the 5 yrs of game time until game over isn't bad either.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 12, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Also got LL up and running here. I'll check the servers around 7-8 EST and see if any goons are around.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i'll be online around 9pm est for an hour or so.
my name will be either filthyhippy or SA-tuluk on the MW:LL servers.

i also posted the Living Legends download links in the MWO thread after all.
didn't mention the proposed get-together tonight, so fire away in the MWO thread if you feel like it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'll say that Mechwarrior 2:Mercenaries is probably my most favorite game of all time. It's really under standed how groundbreaking that game series was for the timeframe it was released into.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

YouTuber posted:

I'll say that Mechwarrior 2:Mercenaries is probably my most favorite game of all time. It's really under standed how groundbreaking that game series was for the timeframe it was released into.

MW2: Mercs was IMO the most well-rounded Mechwarrior game. The campaign had a ton of missions that had varied environments and objectives (defend ice ship, raid air field, steal mechs, get captured, run around in tank, fight inside hull of giant naval ship) and it had a poo poo-ton of mechs to fool around with in instant action.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

MW2: Mercs was IMO the most well-rounded Mechwarrior game. The campaign had a ton of missions that had varied environments and objectives (defend ice ship, raid air field, steal mechs, get captured, run around in tank, fight inside hull of giant naval ship) and it had a poo poo-ton of mechs to fool around with in instant action.

I mean the fact it was a reactive campaign and one of the first fully 3d FPS and one of the first games to incorporate textures. I'm not positive but Netmech has to be one of the first multiplayer FPS systems as well. The MW2 series pushed technology like no other and it did it well!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

We should set up a time to do NetMech matches as well as LL, the standalone NetMech client is completely free from the Mech2 guys.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeether posted:

We should set up a time to do NetMech matches as well as LL, the standalone NetMech client is completely free from the Mech2 guys.

the mech2.org IPX relay is down right now, otherwise I'd be begging other folks for mechwarrior 2 netmech or mechwarrior 2 mercnet matches.
i am hoping the server owner of mech2.org is able to restart the IPX relay service soon.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm in LL right now if anyone wants to hop in and join.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

launching LL now, username is "filthyhippy"

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tuluk posted:

launching LL now, username is "filthyhippy"

I'm Shoeless.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Also I don't know how to message only one person, Tuluk.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Shoeless posted:

Also I don't know how to message only one person, Tuluk.

fun match. my elemental suit can outrun an atlas but not outgun one. :laugh:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tuluk posted:

fun match. my elemental suit can outrun an atlas but not outgun one. :laugh:

Hah, indeed! Also, how do you send a message to only one player? So as to avoid cluttering things here.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

no clue. i know there's two chat options.
i was trying to stealth capture your base at grid f1 when i ran into the atlas & the mad dog?

u: team chat
y: global chat
plus alt key does voice over ip

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
We have mumble for this? CTS maybe? I'm in as ALpha

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

no mumble, but crysis wars does allow voice-over ip talk.
that is, if the LL server allows voip.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
The one we were in doesn't have voip enabled. I say we try for a skype call next time or something. It was really fun when we were working together and in a group. Not so much when we were spread apart and chewed up piecemeal. Speaking of next time, when is that? Tomorrow? Weekend?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I could do tomorrow after 9PM EST, that's probably late for some folks though. Also maybe next time we don't get stuck with a tired racist gimmick dude.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Vorenus posted:

I could do tomorrow after 9PM EST, that's probably late for some folks though. Also maybe next time we don't get stuck with a tired racist gimmick dude.

What, you mean you didn't find his continuous obnoxiousness endearing? :v:

9 PM EST tonight works for me. I"m still in favor of a skype call or some other way for us to be able to communicate better.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i think we joined that server because he was already on it.
maybe the new player server with the 1million cbill starting balance for players would be better.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Good to see more players! I'll join for a bit tonight 9pm est - check here for server stats http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Mumble? I don't like people listening to me mouth-breathe on skype.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Eatpants posted:

Good to see more players! I'll join for a bit tonight 9pm est - check here for server stats http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Mumble? I don't like people listening to me mouth-breathe on skype.

Fair enough, I forgot skype doesn't have push to talk. A concern for me as well since LL makes my laptop fan poo poo itself. Loud as all get out and I definitely don't want to subject people to that constantly. Mumble or teamspeak all work for me if we can find a room. I'm pretty sure there's free sites you can go to to set up a group call that have push to talk and whatnot, so if we're unable to get mumble/TS working we're not SOL.

tuluk posted:

i think we joined that server because he was already on it.
maybe the new player server with the 1million cbill starting balance for players would be better.

Yeah, that's why I joined it cause it was the only one with a person there. I figured it was one of you guys. :( The training server sounds cool, the main issue being that it kinda cuts out the early and midgame doesn't it? Since everyone can get into the high-end stuff right off the bat.

Maybe a 'by your honor' houserule of starting with a light, and then each time you die or every 2/3/whatever deaths you move onto the next highest weight class?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Shoeless posted:

Yeah, that's why I joined it cause it was the only one with a person there. I figured it was one of you guys. :( The training server sounds cool, the main issue being that it kinda cuts out the early and midgame doesn't it? Since everyone can get into the high-end stuff right off the bat.

Maybe a 'by your honor' houserule of starting with a light, and then each time you die or every 2/3/whatever deaths you move onto the next highest weight class?

i think the heavy & assault mechs are unlocked by your rank on the server.
as much as racist dbag as that dude was, he had the highest score & was tooling around in that atlas pretty fast.
oh yeah, i plan on trying vehicles more than mechs this time.
my hovercraft standoff lasted longer than i expected against you & the racist dbag...if it weren't for flipping over, i'd have escaped.

RalphyNoPants
Jul 5, 2012
Windows 8.1 and LL, anyone have an easy way of making it happen? I am lazy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

RalphyNoPants posted:

Windows 8.1 and LL, anyone have an easy way of making it happen? I am lazy.

i'm not running windows 8.x, so check the LL forums for work-arounds?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tuluk posted:

i think the heavy & assault mechs are unlocked by your rank on the server.
as much as racist dbag as that dude was, he had the highest score & was tooling around in that atlas pretty fast.
oh yeah, i plan on trying vehicles more than mechs this time.
my hovercraft standoff lasted longer than i expected against you & the racist dbag...if it weren't for flipping over, i'd have escaped.

Are you saying you would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling physics?

And if the heavier stuff is unlocked via rank rather than just money, that could work. I guess we'll see what happens.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was on last night as SA-Freakazoid, I think I saw shoeless at least.

I'll try to hop on again tonight, using the high cbill server would be a good idea so we can gently caress around in whatever and not worry about that one guy who's dedicated his life to perfecting a game only a dozen people play.

Steiner Scout Party, anyone? :unsmigghh:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'll try to hop on again tonight, using the high cbill server would be a good idea so we can gently caress around in whatever and not worry about that one guy who's dedicated his life to perfecting a game only a dozen people play.

sounds good to me.

marik hovercraft drifters reporting for duty.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

But the Commando's not in LL! :downs:

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
That was fun tonight let's try to play on a real server this weekend. I think I know how to pilot stuff again now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MWLL action report:
New player server was decent. turnout was around 3-4 players per side in every match.
funtimes with light mechs versus hovercrafts escalated to heavy mech versus heavy mech & 1 very dedicated VTOL pilot.
the low gravity-moon map is very bad. skip it if possible.

rask666 is the dbag shoeless, alpha, and i encountered yesterday. i bailed after the low gravity-moon map ended,
so i have no idea if rask666 is a gimmick or just a jackass.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

tuluk posted:

MWLL action report:
New player server was decent. turnout was around 3-4 players per side in every match.
funtimes with light mechs versus hovercrafts escalated to heavy mech versus heavy mech & 1 very dedicated VTOL pilot.
the low gravity-moon map is very bad. skip it if possible.

rask666 is the dbag shoeless, alpha, and i encountered yesterday. i bailed after the low gravity-moon map ended,
so i have no idea if rask666 is a gimmick or just a jackass.

Yeah, that map is pretty dumb. The best parts of the games are always, in my mind, when people are working together. At least, that's what I enjoy the most. And where there's at least 4 people a side, so you have folks to hook up with.

I think we should really try to find some method for voice chat next time, it would really help I bet.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Awesome Welles posted:

I haven't played Mechwarrior 2 in years, but man, that soundtrack :allears:

Um, I think you guys mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp87Jc6k1w4

:black101:

edit: 20:50

Deuce fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Thanks for letting me know about MWLL again, I got sick and tired of fighting through Gamespy the last time I tried to come back to it. The handy installer and the hosts file changes made it a breeze to get logged in.

Too bad nobody's playing after midnight. :saddowns:

• Locked thread