Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
So I'm completely stuck on Cannibis. He kills me in two hits before I've even got a fifth of his health down. What gives?

I'm lvl 63, using longsword, hero armour and a slime. 77 power, 61 speed, 66 vitality, 62 intelligence and 59 luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Alright, I'll try that.

How legit is this advice?

some Redditor posted:

What kind of build are you going for in the late game? If you're looking for a high speed build, then just level power and speed from now on - a lot of people like 2pow/3spd for auto-leveling. I personally went 1pow/4spd for a long time and switched over to 2pow/3spd and my speed is about twice as high as my power. If you're going to invest in vitality, you're going to need to put a lot of points to make it worth while because otherwise, everything will one shot you (think 10k investment or so by the end of the game). You definitely don't need any more int, and luck is really based on preference (people generally like anything from 500 to 5000).

Is it possible to start a 'build' like that this early in the game? Should I really give up on Vit/Luck/Int completely?

Opal
May 10, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yes/sort of/probably. Vit sucks, don't pump it at all unless you want to waste your points. Bosses will still one shot you after a certain point, and regular enemies will never touch you anyway. My furthest distance is 32.9 and my vit is at 400 and that's only because of an OCD desire to make it a nice round number after I found out that it was worthless. If I take a hit I die regardless. Luck is worth putting something in, because you'll want to get some drops and it also has some bearing on crit damage. I got mine up to 1000, then later decided to push it up to 1500. Haven't really noticed a difference either way though. Int is worthless unless you're going for an int specific build, which probably means using the fire rod and nothing else all game. Not much fun. I leveled up with 1 pow 2 spd 2 luck for a while until luck was high enough for my taste, then went to 2 pow 3 spd. My pow is now around 8600 and my spd is around 12000, and the boss at 32.9 still downs me on the first hit, even with two spdup30s and armtwister on. He's a beast.

Doing that now, thanks.

On a related note, how does the auto level feature work? I noticed you can tell it to auto level more than 5 points at once, does it calculate when and where to put points automatically over the course of a few levels or does it simply wait until you have enough points and apply it then?

ninja-edit:

Actually I just tested it myself and it's the latter. I'm doing 3/5/2 pow/spd/luk for the time being.

Opal
May 10, 2005

So with a power/speed build is there really no trick to bosses other than getting your speed up enough so that you have time to kill him before he finally hits you? I get stuck on each of them for ages until I've grinded enough to get lucky and dodge his four or five hits before he dies. I'm on the octopus guy now and getting kinda bored.

(I alternate between Wooden Sword / Kendo / Beserker and Shuriken / Ninja / Bat for auto hit and dodge/power.)

Opal
May 10, 2005

SilverMike posted:

Paralyze also helps, although that's more a general strategy for most bosses.

Edit: If you're at Octoblue, you have access to the Shogun/Zaplance and DNASuit/Longsword or Bow combos to get a single paralyze.

Sweet! That worked. Thanks.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Stupid question probably but is it worthwhile to upgrade weapons? I can't really find any stats on them.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I ran with Long Sword (+9), DNA Suit and Blade all the way up to Devil and it almost feels like cheating. I don't know if the Poison does much but the incredible attack speed paired with Paralyze and high Spd makes mincemeat of everything before they have a chance to hit me.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Found another one on Reddit: Scorpion (14.7) / Zombie (14.1) / Fallen (7.8) for Mach Hit, No Guard and Deathmarch. This one is ridiculous. You can switch out Fallen for Zomble (9.0) for Demondash instead of No Guard but with high speed there's no real point. I did ~2k base damage at lvl ~700 with my lvl 9 longsword but this one does 6,2k a hit un-upgraded.

Opal fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 2, 2014

Opal
May 10, 2005

Aredna posted:

How much power do you have?

My stats are 1018 power, 1849 speed and 429 luck for about ~6700 dmg per hit.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Potsticker posted:

Once you replace that armor with Priest that combo becomes even more amazing. That was my grinding gear, with Scissors/Invcloak/Berserker to kill bosses after Snakewip/DNASuit/Mr.Germs wasn't cutting it any more.

Cool, I'll check that out! I'll be up to 15 pretty soon (been grinding money to buy up all the weapons and armour for a while).

Opal
May 10, 2005

I wish Mimic would drop for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

So today I discovered that a Mimic dropped for me after all at some unknown point. Time to grind treasure!

• Locked thread