Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

the Escapist posted:

Steve Jaros, the creative director behind Saints Row, is leaving Volition and joining Valve Software.

Valve is a company that places a strong emphasis on storytelling, whether in the form of carefully crafted world-building, or surprisingly engaging webcomics. That just makes Valve's writers all the more important, and now a new player has been added to its roster: Steve Jaros. If that name isn't familiar to you, you might be more familiar with his work: Jaros was the Studio Creative Director with Volition, where he co-wrote the first three Saints Row games and oversaw work on Saints Row IV.

The last we'd heard from Jaros, he was telling our own Greg Tito about the Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell standalone expansion. But now Jaros has announced via Twitter that he's leaving Volition after a decade of working with the organization.

"The past 10 years at Volition have been life changing. I've gotten to work with amazing people and made friends that will last a life time," Jaros wrote. "I'm super proud of the work we did on Saints Row, and am excited for what Volition does in the future, but it's time for me to move on ... I'm looking forward to new adventures at Valve Software."

It's not clear what Valve projects Jaros will be working on just yet (feel free to insert your own Half-Life 3 theory here) but Volition's success with recent Saints Row games means it'll probably be worth paying attention to. Gat Out of Hell is expected to launch on January 27, 2015.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137456-Saints-Row-Creative-Director-Steve-Jaros-Joins-Valve

Congratulations Jaros for keeping the Saints Row franchise limping along 3 games after you ran out of good ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Don't know OP.

Dec 26, 2012

Valve is a company that places a strong emphasis on storytelling, whether in the form of carefully crafted world-building, or surprisingly engaging webcomics. That just makes Valve's writers all the more important, and now a new player has been added to its roster: Steve Jaros. If that name isn't familiar to you, you might be more familiar with his work: Jaros was the Studio Creative Director with Volition, where he co-wrote the first three Saints Row games and oversaw work on Saints Row IV.

lol

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

"the gently caress you say?" - the sniper in valves epic new tf2 webcomic

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

valve, known for its surprisingly engaging webcomics

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hmm. lets see... l4d2, portal 2, dota 2, thats it. only one of those even has a story. valve doesnt make games anymore? what u gonna design at valve, snack packaging?

Soral
May 30, 2009

about 1/2 of valve employees work full time browsing ebay for more knives to add to gabes collection, actually

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
valve dont need to work, the money train rolls throughout the world. they sit back in plush offices, check little boxes on 'release cosmetic for popular game' and laugh as cash pours into their eyeballs.

i want to work at valve

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Anthony Burch and Saints Row seem to be made for each other.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Saints Row has been discontinued, OP. There will not be a Saints Row 5.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Anthony Burch and Saints Row seem to be made for each other.

Shut up bitch.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Saints Row was a good series but I don't know where they can go from the last one, so hopefully it is no more.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

*emerges near-death out of a time machine from 2008* Valve... needs writers.... for half-life 3....

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
but seriously folks... is he going to be making ricochet 2?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I think they should just make a new series and then dub it 'The New Saints Row', in the same way Rune Factory was dubbed 'A Fantasy Harvest Moon'. Brand recognition and poo poo.

maybe put it in the future or something and jack people's Tron bikes and hoverboards

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I hope they reboot Saints Row and scale back the wacky poo poo, a modernized version of SR2 with a new cast would be perfect. SR4 was fun and all, but I don't want another one of those.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

I hope they reboot Saints Row and scale back the wacky poo poo, a modernized version of SR2 with a new cast would be perfect. SR4 was fun and all, but I don't want another one of those.

dont you loving dare take Professor Genki away from me

other wacky poo poo can go i guess, like anything involving Kenzie, but I need my Genki

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Genki owns so he can stay

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

also the BDSM chase scene in Saints Row 3 was fuckin epic

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
saints row let me play as a red headed giantess with that had sex with everyone and was very strong. it was a powerful gift to me and it changed my life

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

saints row let me play as a red headed giantess with that had sex with everyone and was very strong. it was a powerful gift to me and it changed my life

this definitely needs to stay in yes

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
saints row didnt have a quest where u chase down a fat man w a chainsaw, liek vice city had... hmm..

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

san andreas was the best GTA

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

hmm yes, those are very good points.

whatever, make something that has the best parts of SR2 and the third then, i'm fine with that

edit: saints row 2 is the best gta, followed by san andreas

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Joining Valve eh?

Well for better or worse he's never gonna make a game ever again.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Joining Valve eh?

Well for better or worse he's never gonna make a game ever again.

if valve did nothing but maintain steam and make more funny TF2 videos from now on i would be happy

soldier makes me lol

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's me. i'm gonna set the next game in somalia and give myself the third world war zone crackdown sequel i've craved for years

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Biggie Shorty posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137456-Saints-Row-Creative-Director-Steve-Jaros-Joins-Valve

Congratulations Jaros for keeping the Saints Row franchise limping along 3 games after you ran out of good ideas.

your opinion is bad and saint's row 1 didn't have any ideas in it

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Saints Row 1 was a total GTA ripoff but it was also pretty well made and awesome back in 2006, playing a game like that with HD graphics and decent shooting controls was cool as hell, and the character customization was pretty good for the time

also it had a radio station that only played lovely 80s hair metal (and mastodon's blood & thunder for some reason) and one of iggy pop's best songs (wild america) on another station so that was pretty great too

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Biggie Shorty posted:

Congratulations Jaros for keeping the Saints Row franchise incredibly fun

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Saint's row is pretty fun.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

OH NO MAN posted:

Saints Row 1 was a total GTA ripoff but it was also pretty well made and awesome back in 2006, playing a game like that with HD graphics and decent shooting controls was cool as hell, and the character customization was pretty good for the time

also it had a radio station that only played lovely 80s hair metal (and mastodon's blood & thunder for some reason) and one of iggy pop's best songs (wild america) on another station so that was pretty great too

saint's row 1 didn't do anything outstanding but it did it well

saint's row 2 is hard to define

saint's row 3 and 4 are just "why the gently caress not" stupidfests, in a good way

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
SR2 is a good synthesis of GTA's super serious approach and SR3's off the wall bonkers approach.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dexters Secret posted:

san andreas was the best GTA

Is GTA V good? I'm looking forward to it and thought that GTA:SA was boss.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

i didn't like it personally, it's leaps and bounds better than gta4 and driving is actually handled way more like sr2 and gta sa, but all the protagonists are unlikeable douchebags (except trevor is the only interesting one) and it's a very bland game overall. i mean i guess its kinda fun to drive around and bullshit in (like every GTA game) but the radio stations really loving suck rear end and for a yool 2013 sandbox game, it's amazing how limited you are on customization. maybe i'm just spoiled by saints row 2 but the insane amount of personalization you can do with your character fits perfectly with the genre and i'd rather play as my clinically obese british guy who dresses like a special needs child than tony soprano and dr. dre any day. also 100% agreed that gta sa was boss and objectively the best gta game.

conclusion: play gta sa, sr 2 or sr 3 again

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:cripes:

Also Michael is awesome

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

maybe put it in the future or something and jack people's Tron bikes and hoverboards

They already have tron bikes and hoverbikes so it wouldn't be that different.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Widestancer posted:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Widestancer posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

its the best gta ive played (3 5 + SA). i only playedi t cos it came with my ps3 tho.

• Locked thread