Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The Fast and Furious stand-alone game dropped today: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/forza-horizon-2/fast-and-furious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Downloadin' dis.

I've never watched any of the movies. I heard they got good around 4. That true?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 28, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Downloadin' dis.

I've never watched any of the movies. I heard they got good around 4. That true?

You know it's not.

They're all bad.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Those liars. I bet they're the kind of people who let their dogs off-leash in community areas, if you know what I mean.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just finished the F&F stuff. Kinda wish it was set up as a DLC rather than a standalone so I could have the unique cars in the full game and modify them rather than just in the limited area and configurations of the special title. There's probably some lawyer-related reasoning behind that. It would also be nice if it would see that I already own the full game, expansion, car pack, and VIP so there's no point in trying to advertise to me.

I can't really complain though, $free is a fine price for what basically amounts to a lightly themed and heavily condensed version of FH2. I don't know what the demo was like, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lot better of a demo than the real demo was.

edit:

GutBomb posted:

You know it's not.

They're all bad.

They're bad in a good way though. Don't see them looking for cinema genius and don't think too hard about the driving, just turn your brain off and enjoy the craziness.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 28, 2015

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

GutBomb posted:

You know it's not.

They're all bad.

Nope. Fast 5 is amazing.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
They are all great movies. It's ridiculous that the series made it to 7. Doubly so that I'm still excited about it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The first is basically Point Break with cars and it's not bad. . The second and third exist. Fourth is okay and Five is oceans eleven with cars; it's also pretty good. Six involves a tank from what I understand.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
First impression: Thanks for putting me in the Charger right away. That car looks amazing. Too bad it handles like a loving cow.

Too bad it's a standalone and not part of FH2.

Other than that, I can't wait to go race for pink slips. I like it. I think I'm really going to enjoy it, what little of it I expect there to be.

I want these cars in FH2, though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dr. Faustus posted:

First impression: Thanks for putting me in the Charger right away. That car looks amazing. Too bad it handles like a loving cow.

Too bad it's a standalone and not part of FH2.

Other than that, I can't wait to go race for pink slips. I like it. I think I'm really going to enjoy it, what little of it I expect there to be.

I want these cars in FH2, though.

I normally race with hood view, watching the little lever go up and down when I shift on the giant rear end blower is pretty fun.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey, it's April, let's check out the new Forza Hub and see what goodies we get.

Launch F&F, O great. I should have guessed. That free car? ANOTHER Lambo Huracan. I know some people got them in various liveries, but when the original Huracan Hurricane hit me, they were all stock yellow Lambos. So now I have one in F&F. y a y

Ok, fine, I used it anyway because at least it handles better than the Charger. Nitrous? I like Nitrous. That's cool I guess.

I got the Supra. It's nice. I got the RoadRunner barn find, also nice (A class, too). I raced a very cool military gunship helicopter (running out of ideas, guys?) in a Wrangler and it was a ton of fun. The helicopter blades throwing up tons of wet grass everywhere, and following the spotlight was very atmospheric. Then I went and got the GT-R. Nice little garage coming together.

I'm getting the concept, it's making sense. It's just a little tie-in for the new F&F movie. Throw in some set pieces, the obligatory hero cars, that's it. No frills beyond that. O sure, there's more boards to smash, more roads to discover. Ok, fine.

Sadly, the experience seems to be crippled by what wolrah describes as the lawyer stuff.

Can't have a F&F expansion built into FH2. Nope. It has to be separate. Upgrades? Not that I can tell. Tuning? Apparently not. Personalizing your F&F cars with with paintjobs and personal liveries? What are you, nucking futs? It's F&F, dude, you get to drive the F&F cars and that had better be enough.
Whelp, I've never had any interest in watching any of the movies (I've heard Transporter 1 and 2 were better, and that's frightening enough).

You know what made me hot? Watching various old episodes of Top Gear on BBC America and seeing The Stig driving a stock Caterham or Koenigsegg around the TGTT and just jumping into FM5 and trying to beat his time. That's loving awesome.

"Re"living some moment from some movie series that is about "cars?" Yeah, free sounds about like the right price.

I'm not even bummed about the lack of new territory (even at 15GB download size) because I have tons of Storm Island waiting for me.

So, I'll play the rest of it and win the cars and be like, ok, I did that. If the other events are as cool as the helicopter one, then those will certainly be fun to do, once.

Actually, I'm starting to feel bad making GBS threads all over a free game. I guess it's just too bad that licensing once again gets in the way of stuff that gamers would really, really enjoy, but instead have to miss.

...unless somewhere along the line tunes and liveries and stuff get unlocked and I can use cars from both games in one or the other... but that's crazy talk.

P.S. - MacClay's latest club announcement in FH2 made me laugh, out loud, and that's the truth.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 4, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

You know what made me hot? Watching various old episodes of Top Gear on BBC America and seeing The Stig driving a stock Caterham or Koenigsegg around the TGTT and just jumping into FM5 and trying to beat his time. That's loving awesome.

Yeah, probbably my favorite thing to do, I'm extremely upset about the end of Clarkson Top Gear, I presume that's the end of Top Gear in Forza too. :(

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

ethanol posted:

Yeah, probbably my favorite thing to do, I'm extremely upset about the end of Clarkson Top Gear, I presume that's the end of Top Gear in Forza too. :(

poo poo, yea. I didn't think about that. I don't care about the little intros or commentaries from the presenters, but if FM6 doesn't have the TG test track that would be sad.

I always thought they missed an opportunity to have some sort of test track leaderboard where it could display your top times with stock or modified cars regardless of class, like on the show.

Maybe a replica TG Studio where your top 5 cars around TG track could be displayed? IIRC they had that background already there in FM4 and you take pictures of cars in the studio.

But what do I know?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WienerDog posted:

I always thought they missed an opportunity to have some sort of test track leaderboard where it could display your top times with stock or modified cars regardless of class, like on the show.

Agreed. I have a leaderboard at my house posted over the racing seat that's basically this, we have categories for the Liana, Cee'd, and the "house car" which varies from time to time (currently an A600 tuned Miura). It would have been so nice to have the game support keeping track of this automatically for more than just the Cee'd in the Rivals challenge.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ethanol posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 decided to hire Clarkson to do voiceovers for Forza 6, since I doubt the BBC can legally prevent him from talking about cars in a video game, and if it came down to it, Turn 10 could probably create an original track that's very similar to the Top Gear track.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

azflyboy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 decided to hire Clarkson to do voiceovers for Forza 6, since I doubt the BBC can legally prevent him from talking about cars in a video game, and if it came down to it, Turn 10 could probably create an original track that's very similar to the Top Gear track.

I hope they're videos of Clarkson and I hope that they will reveal that Clarkson was in a tank the entire time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Welp, guess there weren't lawyer reasons as much as accountant reasons...

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh2_april_fast_and_furious_car_pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0GgrLfr3M

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

wolrah posted:

Welp, guess there weren't lawyer reasons as much as accountant reasons...

They couldn't license Paul Walker's face for your driver avatar so they had some coding to do.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha good catch, wolrah. I hope this still falls under my Season Pass. If so, My FH2 experience just got better (it's April 7th today, huzzah!)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

cool

I'm actually pretty glad I got the horizon 2 car pass

that chrome maserati is extremely my poo poo

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The car pass and VIP are both 50% off this week on XBone, and the VIP will give you 50% off on Storm Island I believe as well. Great time to get all the DLC.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I've owned a few Thrustmaster TX wheels in the past. One of them had a power supply problem so they replaced the wheel base. When they replace a wheel base they send a new one, and have you cut the USB cable on the old one and take a picture and send it to them. Well, I did that and held on to it. Then the replacement one had a completely different fault (a problem with the motor) so they sent me another replacement. They had me do the same thing, cut the USB cable, take a picture, send the pic, and that's it. I asked both times if I should throw the wheel base away to which they replied "You can do whatever you want with it." Well, I took the power supply from the one that had a motor fault and put it in the one that had the power supply fault, soldered the USB cable back on, and the thing works great. I have no use for two, so if someone wants a working Thrustmaster TX wheel base with stock pedals and stock wheel rim (everything that comes in the retail package) at a steep discount, now's your chance. I've been doing all of my sim-racing all week with my home hack/repair job and it's been rock solid. The only problem is that there is no longer a warranty on it because A) It's serial number is probably blacklisted as an RMA item, and B) even if it wasn't, when they saw the USB cable was cut and then soldered they would not repair it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'd gladly let this thing go for $120 + shipping. The box is big and it's heavy so shipping is probably going to be between $30 and $50 depending on your location.

I'll get some pictures, a video of it working, and an SA mart thread up tonight to make it official.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 7, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

cool

I'm actually pretty glad I got the horizon 2 car pass

that chrome maserati is extremely my poo poo

I have the season (car) pass but the FH2 F&F car pack shows up as $4.99 for me. Is anyone with the season pass getting it for free or do I need to shell out the five bux. I don't mind spending $5, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

P.S. - Just added all the free cars that I didn't have yet to the garage and added a few cars I had wanted but passed over, and got the 175 cars in your garage "Worthy of a Sultan" cheevo.

Rock da casbah.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have the season (car) pass but the FH2 F&F car pack shows up as $4.99 for me. Is anyone with the season pass getting it for free or do I need to shell out the five bux. I don't mind spending $5, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

P.S. - Just added all the free cars that I didn't have yet to the garage and added a few cars I had wanted but passed over, and got the 175 cars in your garage "Worthy of a Sultan" cheevo.

Rock da casbah.

I'm looking at it now and it shows $5 :argh:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:rice: :negative: :ughh: :911:

The terrists have won.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm just going to buy a maserati GT and paint it chrome instead

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Guess I gotta pay for it. I don't mind. It's just $5.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh2_april_fast_and_furious_car_pack

quote:

Make way for the Furious 7 Car Pack on Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox One! Featuring a lineup of awesome cars appearing in Universal Pictures’ latest action film, Furious 7, the Furious 7 Car Pack is worthy of its own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The Furious 7 Car Pack will be available on April 7 for $5, and will feature eight amazing cars to collect, drive, and race in Forza Horizon 2 – that’s two additional cars over the standard monthly Forza Horizon 2 car pack!

Living life a quarter mile at a time starts with the 1970 Dodge Charger R/T, but the rest of the cars in the Furious 7 Car Pack more than hold their own. From the menacing luxury of the 2014 Maserati Ghibli S to the armored beast that is the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, these cars have to be seen, heard, and driven to be believed. All of the cars in the pack have been authentically recreated, including details never before seen in a Forza game – like the awesome functioning blower in the 1970 Dodge Charger R/T. And let’s not forget this month’s free car – the 1998 Toyota Supra, which is available to all Forza Horizon 2 players at no additional cost. Watch them work in theaters beginning on April 3 then drive them in Forza Horizon 2!

Someone over at the Forza forums said the FH2 car pass is done.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here's the SA Mart thread for the wheel: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711962&perpage=40

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O happy day!

In full-on S2 trim (can't reach the top) with Storm Island rally suspension this loving car is amazing offroad. And it sounds amazing.
I mean, 1.62s 0-60? Am I reading that right? Holky gently caress, balls.

Just drove a road race in it. It brakes, it turns, it still weighs too much but goddamn I love this car.

I don't think I've ever said this and actually meant it, but here it is: 1970 F&F Charger: Cheater Car (Leader-board car).

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2015

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Worth it to buy the Ultimate Edition of Forza for $70? I've been wanting to buy this game for a while, but have been waiting for it to drop to $30. Looks like that's gonna take a while. The DLC worth it?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

Worth it to buy the Ultimate Edition of Forza for $70? I've been wanting to buy this game for a while, but have been waiting for it to drop to $30. Looks like that's gonna take a while. The DLC worth it?

O sweet Jesus yes.

This game is so much better than FH1.

Wait, are you talking FM5 or FH2? This matters.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
B-bump...

I actually finished a game. I don't do that often. I beat Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor and I'm actually sad it's over. That was a drat fine game.

So, jumping back into FH2 to tackle Storm Island and F&F and complete more Championship races, I finally took the time to recreate my SpaceX logos in FH. Which means I finally added my new S2 Track Toy and it handles so well in FH2.

The green Ariel Atom is back, baby!

I wish I could work up the effort to make my other old logos, but... it takes so long. I hope future versions have better support for transferring vinyls.

...and for the love of Christ bring back racing suits and helmets. I can't stand looking at this generic t-shirt-wearing douchebag driving X class in his loving jeans. I'm not even asking for character customization. Just not... attack of the clones. If there have to be clones, clone The Stig!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 6, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
C'mon kids, you have to love this!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The best part about Storm Island is all the rally type bumpers and aero they added to cars.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Is there any point to completing the Fast and Furious thingy? I played it for a bit and it seems more like a demo for the game itself, do the cars transfer over?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

hanyolo posted:

Is there any point to completing the Fast and Furious thingy? I played it for a bit and it seems more like a demo for the game itself, do the cars transfer over?

I think you get a bonus car (and maybe credits?) in FH2, but none of the actual cars from the F&F standalone title. Also, you can complete the game and collectibles to get points to your account in Forza Hub, if you have that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hanyolo posted:

The F&F Standalone suffers mostly from lack of customization, but it's cool racing for the pink slips to collect the cars.

The F&F cars are in FH2 now, as DLC. $4.99 I think is what I posted above.
They don't transfer automatically, but I know I have them now.

I posted my Charger earlier:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 30, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Porsche Expansion Pack tomorrow, $9.99

quote:

1970 Porsche 914/6
1982 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.3
1987 Porsche 959
1989 Porsche 944 Turbo
2003 Porsche Carrera GT
2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)
2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2014 Porsche 918 Spyder
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

plus a few events and cheevos.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ah man it's got the 1989 944 turbo, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was kind of hoping for a '91 928. H982 FKL plates everywhere.

Oh well, at least I can build an awesome rally 959 or put poo poo tires on a CGT and do my best Roger Rodas impression. Here's hoping at least the 959, CGT, and 918 motors are available for swaps in to the rest of the lineup.

• Locked thread